Son Duk Sung

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does anyone have either of his books?

If yes, what do you think of them?

I got'em both (the second one was about the most I've ever spent on an MA book, and right up there with the most I've spent on any book). Am working my way through them now... won't be done with the first one for a while (this is my heavy teaching quarter :() but will check back in with this thread when I've gotten through the first one...

OP
F

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Cheers Exile.

The most I ever spent was around $100 for Kim Bok Man's book "Practical Taekwon-do, weapon techniques art of self defense: A text book for advanced students". That was definately worth it. Very keen to read SDS's thoughts also.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cheers Exile.

The most I ever spent was around $100 for Kim Bok Man's book "Practical Taekwon-do, weapon techniques art of self defense: A text book for advanced students". That was definately worth it. Very keen to read SDS's thoughts also.

Nice to see you back on the board, FD—you've been missed! A lot of interesting discussions around here have wanted your input...

I paid $114 for the SDS BB-TKD book, the second one. It's long, long out of print and contains information about some very early hyungs and views of training that, to me, have the definite resonance of Kwan-era thinking. I got my used copy from Amazon and there aren't many available, and the ones in superb condition are very, very expensive; mine is quite acceptable, though—but I can see a day coming when there won't even be used copies for sale. Everyone who had one and was willing to part with it will have sold his or her copy to someone who wouldn't sell it at any price, and that'll be that. So I figured, if I want to get this kind of time-periscope back to the Kwan era, or as close as possible, I'd better bite the bullet and buy a copy before it winds up being more expensive than a bottle of first-growth Bordeaux from a stellar vintage year....

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice to see you back on the board, FD—you've been missed! A lot of interesting discussions around here have wanted your input...

I paid $114 for the SDS BB-TKD book, the second one. It's long, long out of print and contains information about some very early hyungs and views of training that, to me, have the definite resonance of Kwan-era thinking. I got my used copy from Amazon and there aren't many available, and the ones in superb condition are very, very expensive; mine is quite acceptable, though—but I can see a day coming when there won't even be used copies for sale. Everyone who had one and was willing to part with it will have sold his or her copy to someone who wouldn't sell it at any price, and that'll be that. So I figured, if I want to get this kind of time-periscope back to the Kwan era, or as close as possible, I'd better bite the bullet and buy a copy before it winds up being more expensive than a bottle of first-growth Bordeaux from a stellar vintage year....

Yes the older material book are worth there wieght in Gold

OP
F

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Exile that is very good to hear.

That is my logic too regarding these books. The kwan era thinking is what I was looking for. Shall have to invest while I still can!

On a side track, I have long wondered how the Chung Do Kwan went from expelling Hyun Jong Myun, Uhm Woon Kyu & Nam Tae Hi under SDS's leadership; to Uhm Woon Kyu being head of the CDK. Very confusing.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score

That is my logic too regarding these books. The kwan era thinking is what I was looking for. Shall have to invest while I still can!

On a side track, I have long wondered how the Chung Do Kwan went from expelling Hyun Jong Myun, Uhm Woon Kyu & Nam Tae Hi under SDS's leadership; to Uhm Woon Kyu being head of the CDK. Very confusing.

And for us to know the real truth is not possible, we can get bits and pieces but never the real truth.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score

I have both of these books, the latter being in pristine shape (got it on eBay, it had been a library book). Both were purchased for historical insight rather than technical information.

Re: CDK history, I believe GM Son was expelled from the CDK by GM Lee, Won Kuk who installed GM Uhm as Kwan Jang.

Miles

tkd1964

Green Belt
Reaction score
And for us to know the real truth is not possible, we can get bits and pieces but never the real truth.
GM Son, GM Nam, and GM Um are all still alive so they could tell you who did what, but I don't think that they are interested in that history. All have done well for TKD so I think it's a none issue at least to them.

mike

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
GM Son, GM Nam, and GM Um are all still alive so they could tell you who did what, but I don't think that they are interested in that history. All have done well for TKD so I think it's a none issue at least to them.

mike

Some of those memories are probably pretty painful for them... and others may well be a bit blurry by this point.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Some of those memories are probably pretty painful for them... and others may well be a bit blurry by this point.

Yeah, word has it (from a WTA 4th degree) that GM Son wears out students doing forms over and over again until he remembers them-or remembers that he's already done that particular form once or twice before moving on to the next one......he's what, though? 83? (Thinks quick-yeah, turned 50 when I turned 15-that makes him 83 and me nearly 50!:eye-popping:)

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score

mike

Mike I do relize these gentleman are alive and doing well, but even them if you ask they just seem to say forget about it or which side of the fence do you want. I have the up most respect for all these gentleman and the rolls they have played over the years. Sometime memories are just that memories. I know I would like to forget some of the story that have been around.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Something tells me that if you asked either of them about this incident and period of history, especially since all of them are of advanced age and at least one set to retire, the answer would either be "why do you want to know?" or "not important".

OP
F

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Something tells me that if you asked either of them about this incident and period of history, especially since all of them are of advanced age and at least one set to retire, the answer would either be "why do you want to know?" or "not important".

I think thats exactly it.

Latest Discussions