TKD Historians: Duk Son Song's Book

masterchase

White Belt
Reaction score
I hope to get the chance to get this cleared up when he visits in March.
Maybe I've got it all wrong. Some posts I've read on this site and others seem to point to Kang Suh Chong as his instructor.
Master Gordon White took notes after quizzing GM Tae Sung Lee about his early training and did not ask him about the spelling of his instructors name. He wrote down what he heard.... "Kong Sa Chong" So maybe I'm taking too big a leap and assuming that this "Kong Sa Chong" is "Kang Suh Chong"

Here is the note Master White wrote down:
1953: Grandmaster Lee Tae Sung started training Taekwondo in Incheon Korea with a military squad that allowed civilians to join in. The instructors name was Kong Sa Chong.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe I've got it all wrong. Some posts I've read on this site and others seem to point to Kang Suh Chong as his instructor. Master Gordon White took notes after quizzing GM Tae Sung Lee about his early training and did not ask him about the spelling of his instructors name. He wrote down what he heard.... "Kong Sa Chong" So maybe I'm taking too big a leap and assuming that this "Kong Sa Chong" is "Kang Suh Chong"

No you got it right. It's the same person. He romanized his name differently at different times, just like GM Uhm's name is romanized differently today than in the 60's.

The Incheon area was a rally point for refugees from North Korea back then, in the early fifties. The picture that comes to mind is Cuban refugees in Florida. GM Kang was I believe the Taekwondo instructor for the ROK Navy UDT training facility at the time. I understand that GM LEE Haeng Ung (who was I believe a North Korean refugee) got a job at Osan AFB and so he moved from Incheon to Osan. Others from Incheon (including GM LEE Tae Sung I believe) also got jobs at Osan and that is how the Osan Chung Do Kwan got started.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, thanks for clearing that up, Glenn. I've seen 1953 as the date for the founding of Kuk Mu Kwan as well as 1963. But you've certainly been your usual helpful self ;)

No problem. Which of those two dates do you believe is the correct date? Or is it another date? Also, are you assuming that GM Kang was the Chodae Kwan Jang of the Kuk Mu Kwan?

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
No you got it right. It's the same person. He romanized his name differently at different times, just like GM Uhm's name is romanized differently today than in the 60's.

The Incheon area was a rally point for refugees from North Korea back then, in the early fifties. The picture that comes to mind is Cuban refugees in Florida. GM Kang was I believe the Taekwondo instructor for the ROK Navy UDT training facility at the time. I understand that GM LEE Haeng Ung (who was I believe a North Korean refugee) got a job at Osan AFB and so he moved from Incheon to Osan. Others from Incheon (including GM LEE Tae Sung I believe) also got jobs at Osan and that is how the Osan Chung Do Kwan got started.
At some point GM Kang was also assigned to military intelligence under Gen Choi. I believe he was a non-commissioned officer with the rank of Sgt.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
At some point GM Kang was also assigned to military intelligence under Gen Choi. I believe he was a non-commissioned officer with the rank of Sgt.

Where did you read that, in General Choi's autobiography?

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
No problem. Which of those two dates do you believe is the correct date? Or is it another date? Also, are you assuming that GM Kang was the Chodae Kwan Jang of the Kuk Mu Kwan?

I'm not assuming either of those two dates is correct. I stated that I had heard both as the dates of the founding of the Kuk Mu Kwan. Nor am I assuming GM Kang was the first Kwan Jang. He said he is the founder of the Kuk Mu Kwan. If you want to say that doesn't equate to being Cho Dae Kwan Jang that's fine.

Again, helpful as ever Glenn ;)

Pax,

Chris

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not assuming either of those two dates is correct. I stated that I had heard both as the dates of the founding of the Kuk Mu Kwan.

I didn't ask you if you assumed either of those dates were correct. I asked this: Which of those two dates do you believe is the correct date? Or is it another date? But don't worry, you don't have to answer.

Nor am I assuming GM Kang was the first Kwan Jang. He said he is the founder of the Kuk Mu Kwan. If you want to say that doesn't equate to being Cho Dae Kwan Jang that's fine.

Where does he say he is the founder of the Kuk Mu Kwan? I was unaware that he gave any sort of interview or made any sort of statement to that effect. On second thought, you don't have to answer. I can go search google myself to find out where you got your answer. :)

Again, helpful as ever Glenn

I wish I could say the same for you. :)

Last edited:

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did a quick google search and found the two pages. One is a facebook page which states Kuk Mu Kwan was founded in 1953, and the other is GM Kang's son whose says Kuk Mu Kwan was founded in 1963. I see a page for GM Kang's son which states that his father was founder of Kuk Mu Kwan, but I didn't see anything where GM Kang states this directly.

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Where did you read that, in General Choi's autobiography?
No I do not think that Gen Choi mentioned that. I think I came across it in personal conversations & interviews. GM Kang is still alive & I think that at least 2 of his 3 sons are still active in teaching TKD for a living. One was just on the cover of TKD Times magazine not too long ago.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't ask you if you assumed either of those dates were correct. I asked this: Which of those two dates do you believe is the correct date? Or is it another date? But don't worry, you don't have to answer.

I don't believe either date is correct. I don't have an opinion one way or the other on the matter. I had heard two conflicting dates and so didn't have any opinion on the matter. You said it wasn't 1953 and since I have no reason to believe or disbelieve you I still have no opinion on the matter.

Where does he say he is the founder of the Kuk Mu Kwan? I was unaware that he gave any sort of interview or made any sort of statement to that effect. On second thought, you don't have to answer. I can go search google myself to find out where you got your answer. :)

Have at it, Glenn! :lol:

I wish I could say the same for you. :)

:lol: Yes, I'm sure you do :lol:

Helpful as ever, brother :)

Pax,

Chris

Latest Discussions