Footwork Drills

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What type of drills do you do to help with heavy feet?

What type of drill so you can get faster?

And also for quickness?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
we do round stepping, forward/backward skipping and criss crossing for the feet.

round step with the back (and block, add counter) (or step out with the front and counter)

take a step (or 2 or 3) forward, same back, depends on the mood, to techniques when skipping forward and/or after skipping back...

hop to cross your feet, or twice to criss cross. This is pretty sweet and fast when I want to throw a leg check, back leg to front leg, but my desired leg is in front, quick hop it's in the back and I can pull the trigger.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
We do ladder drills: single/double/triple knees, shuffle step, shuffle step out, turning steps. For speed, add a medicine ball to the mix.

In the beginning of class, we often do chun jin, who jin, ilbo chun jin, ilbo who jin, and running step drills.

These drills are a great warm-up and sometimes we will do teams so that one person is going up and down the floor and they they hand-off to the next person, sort of like a relay race. Nothing like competition to make someone move faster.....

Miles