Sometimes a Little Bit of Encouragement Goes a Long Way

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Feeling a little tired in the dojo Monday night. I've been having some issues with my blood sugar and just generally not feeling like I'm progressing. My katas are not getting better; they're getting worse!

Someone made a comment about something that happened a few weeks ago; one of the black belt students accidentally dropped her black belt in the parking lot; it was found and returned, and just for fun, I tried it on. Everyone laughed when it would not fit around my waist. But I told sensei, "Yeah, but it looked good on me." He said "Yes, I'm sure it did, and it will. Remember, it's not a question of if you will earn your black belt; you will earn it. The only question is when." That was the push I needed to dig in and redouble my efforts. Sometimes you just need a tiny bit of encouragement to keep working.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I took TKD, I had the feeling a couple of times that I wasn't progressing. Fortunately I kept at it and several weeks later, realized I had indeed progressed. I guess we reach plateaus sometimes, and just have to stay with it and work past them. Good on you for rejuvenating youself and doing it. Will be looking for that great day when we see photos of you wearing your BB.

I don't recall that happening when I took Hapkido. Perhaps because of the fast paced learning, and maybe age giving a small amount more of wisdon.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I took TKD, I had the feeling a couple of times that I wasn't progressing. Fortunately I kept at it and several weeks later, realized I had indeed progressed. I guess we reach plateaus sometimes, and just have to stay with it and work past them. Good on you for rejuvenating youself and doing it. Will be looking for that great day when we see photos of you wearing your BB.

I don't recall that happening when I took Hapkido. Perhaps because of the fast paced learning, and maybe age giving a small amount more of wisdon.

You just described Me.
I used to do it once per Month.

Usually themed around "Im not hitting as hard as I used to". "I used to be able to do that better".

It usually took a while for me to realise, that I was actually hitting even harder, and better. It had just become easier. And therefore didnt feel the same.
I guess you just flatten out at certain points. And at those points, you can try and think back to previous points, and intercompare.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are multiple points along the way in training where you feel a little stalled. Where you practice, and don't seem to be moving forward. And these increase as you near black belt because the differences can be very minor -- and because they sometimes take a while for every thing to settle and gel together. A minor tweak to a stance may take months to propagate all the way through your training at this level.

Push on, and one thing that often helps in my experience is working with newer students. It's a reminder of how far you've come (an ego boost we all sometimes need!) -- and it helps you look at some of your basics again. Often a sticking point is a basic that's slipped off a hair.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Bill

I think that your training environment is awesome. I kinda of think of it this way. Sometimes it just takes a few supportive words to inspire you, just think sometime in the future you will be able to pass it on.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One foot in front of the other gets you to class. The rest, as they say, is history.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Even instructors need encouragement.

Yesterday was like this for me. I tried to arrange my classes on Saturday (due to expected high absenteeism for several reasons) all in one class and then one class on Sunday for those that couldn't make in on Saturday. Then I was heading to Dallas for my weapons class for the final review prior to testing next month. Well I spent the morning working on the Jeep to make it just in time to teach class. Had a good class but then one student showed up who didn't know about the change so I had to teach a private lesson, which meant I couldn't finish a 15 minute final job on the jeep to get it running and I that would be late to my weapons class in Dallas. So on the way to class I get chewed out by my wife for choosing class over the responsibilities of the Jeep, and spent an hour in traffic getting to class (late). I was in a pretty bad mood, not something you want to be in when handling a 6ft bo, tonfas, sai, nunchaka etc. etc.

My group's turn up came and I was moved to the other end of the dojo from where I'm normally at, my first kata with the bo I screwed up, and as I pulled it together for the 2nd try I start hearing this soft voice "NICE" "GOOD!" from this lady and fellow practitioner sitting off on the side. Now I know she didn't mean for me to hear her, but it was encouraging none the less. As the class progressed some comments (joking like) were made about my performance from the seniors to my partner (whom I hadn't worked with before) and that helped get me centered in class as well.

As an instructor I tend to try and encourage my students all of the time, while at the same time spurring them on to do better; hit and block harder, correct this or that etc. etc. But it is rare that I'm around other instructors (my peers and seniors) and even rarer when I hear any encouragement for them. I never really thought about it before, but yesterday it sure helped.

Latest Discussions