something I notice right now

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
The sabonim is inviting onother dojangs to her dojang to do dual meet competition but she has not invited any dojang for a tecnical interchange. I would rather invite another sabonim and his/her students to practice basics, pommsae,one steps, etc,etc, this would be of great value to the dojang too! But no, everybady wants to do sport kyorugy not the martial things inside TKD.

Well it seems I am wrong and I am the only one.

Manny

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well it could be that the first visit will be just that a first of many visits with an interchange of ideas training.
time will answer more questions then you have possibly thought of

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
well it could be that the first visit will be just that a first of many visits with an interchange of ideas training.
time will answer more questions then you have possibly thought of

Tomorrow we have the visit of another dojang and guess what? Oh yesss sport/olimpic kyorugi LOL... that's a fact.

Manny

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have you considered karate or something?

Yes, I did some kenpo karate for about a year, I did a little aikido but I think I am more an striker/kicker than a grapler, here in my town I know two shotokan senseis one is a represntative from JKS I know him however there is no click beetwen us, the other shotokan sensei is a nice guy that I frequently chat with. Somebody told me Shotokan karate is like TKD in some spots even very sporty jejejeje.

Manny

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I did some kenpo karate for about a year, I did a little aikido but I think I am more an striker/kicker than a grapler, here in my town I know two shotokan senseis one is a represntative from JKS I know him however there is no click beetwen us, the other shotokan sensei is a nice guy that I frequently chat with. Somebody told me Shotokan karate is like TKD in some spots even very sporty jejejeje.

Manny

Well, since the single largest influence on the early days of TKD was Shotokan, I'd say it can't help but be very familiar. The forms will be different (Shotokan uses the pinan forms, as does Tang Soo Do), but the overall "feel" will be very similar.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let's see how it goes, tomorrow I'm gona visit a shotokan dojo for a training session, nothing out of this world, the sensei is a friend of mine and he will gld to have me in his dojo.

Manny

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
For a technicl nterchange there has to be an intmate relationships between the gyms and an understanding of who the final authority is. Otherwise, if students from one gym hear something diffeerent than what their instructor taught as the technical standard it will cause a problem for their instructor.

Insttead there could be a workshop which avoids technical standards and instead gives training and sparring tips, strategies, drills etc. Ask your instructor.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like you're at a good gym that values fighting ability/application over the more philosophical perfection of movement and aesthetics. Thus is actually a good thing if you want to be good. My boxing gym does the same thing, we spar guys from outside gyms frequently and it makes is better fighters. One steps and poomse will only get you so far, if you want to be good you've got to fight. Competition is a great way to push yourself to improve. If you lose you know you need to improve. If you don't spar or compete you may never know how bad or good you are. If you just want to do forms maybe you should find another school. Around here tkd dojang are a dime a dozen, and it's rare to find a school that actually prioritizes developing good fighters. Sounds like you're after a mcdojo, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. If it's what you want.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like you're at a good gym that values fighting ability/application over the more philosophical perfection of movement and aesthetics. Thus is actually a good thing if you want to be good.

It's a good thing if what you want to be good at is fighting. :)

Around here tkd dojang are a dime a dozen, and it's rare to find a school that actually prioritizes developing good fighters. Sounds like you're after a mcdojo, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. If it's what you want.

Would you say that any school that doesn't emphasize fighting is necessarily a mcdojo? In other words, is there such a thing as a good martial arts school that doesn't emphasize fighting? Or does it have to emphasize fighting to be a good martial arts school?

(Arguably, semantically, it wouldn't be a "martial" school at all if it didn't emphasize fighting, since thats what the word "martial" means. Conversely, I think there are a lot of good martial arts schools that don't emphasize fighting...so it's an interesting question I think.)

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Around here tkd dojang are a dime a dozen, and it's rare to find a school that actually prioritizes developing good fighters. Sounds like you're after a mcdojo, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. If it's what you want.
Well, not every martial artist wants Self-defense (assuming thats what you mean by fighting), some folks just wanna compete in Kukki TKD tourneys, others in the ITF style tourneys. A school with an emphasis on their respective competition isn't really a Mcdojo. It's a sport school, in my experience theyre pretty upfront about that.

Boxers don't learn takedowns, restraints, disarms, knee strikes, etc because theyre focused on Boxing as a sport. Does that make Boxing gyms McDojos?

Obviously, I can't speak for the schools in your area. But being sport focused does not make a school a McDojo. At the comps the students train for, they could be performing exceptionally. Just something to think about

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's a good thing if what you want to be good at is fighting. :)

Would you say that any school that doesn't emphasize fighting is necessarily a mcdojo? In other words, is there such a thing as a good martial arts school that doesn't emphasize fighting? Or does it have to emphasize fighting to be a good martial arts school?

(Arguably, semantically, it wouldn't be a "martial" school at all if it didn't emphasize fighting, since thats what the word "martial" means. Conversely, I think there are a lot of good martial arts schools that don't emphasize fighting...so it's an interesting question I think.)
Does a school have to emphasize fighting to be good? Not necessarily, as long as the school is straightforward about its purpose. Some styles emphasize performance and competition kata. I wouldn't say that a school that doesn't emphasize fighting is a mcdojo. There are good mcdojo out there. A mcdojo just prioritizes business and money making. It doesn't guarantee poor quality. However, because making money involves getting more members to sign up we see some watered down arts. Or schools that value other attributes like forms over fighting. Because how many people really want to train hard, get punched and kicked, on a monthly basis. Mcdojo aren't inherently bad, I was suggesting if the op is more into forms and less into fighting he seek out such a school.

Well, not every martial artist wants Self-defense (assuming thats what you mean by fighting), some folks just wanna compete in Kukki TKD tourneys, others in the ITF style tourneys. A school with an emphasis on their respective competition isn't really a Mcdojo. It's a sport school, in my experience theyre pretty upfront about that.

Boxers don't learn takedowns, restraints, disarms, knee strikes, etc because theyre focused on Boxing as a sport. Does that make Boxing gyms McDojos?

Obviously, I can't speak for the schools in your area. But being sport focused does not make a school a McDojo. At the comps the students train for, they could be performing exceptionally. Just something to think about

I think you completely missed my point. I didn't say anything about mcdojos competing or being focused on sports, And I didn't say anything about all mcdojos doing ..... I was inferring just the opposite. Most mcdojo in my experience don't compete and if they do, it's only in forms or Non contact events. The op sounds like he's at a good school that competes (not a mcdojo) and I suggested he visit a mcdojo if all he wants is one step and poomse. I'm also aware that some people don't care about fighting ability, that's fine. That's what the op sounds like to me. Train for whatever reason you want, just be sure to respect those that do spar, compete in full contact events, and train hard, even if it's not your thing.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not against competing in tournaments, what I am against is to do an all of this, I eman to focus mainly in TKD WTF/OLIMPIC sparring!!

Saprring is a part of the TKD curriculum and it's a must BUT poomsae and one speps, and self defense techs, etc, are too a part of the cake.

I am not a part of a McDojang, I am a part of a TKD Dojang that empgatizes Oilimpic Style Saprring over all!!

I had a nice time at the Shotokan dojo last friday I wil, post this in other post.

Manny

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If they are putting all the focus on the sparring (Olympic style) your instructor is ignoring a big part of what your arts is about. Unless your people are getting ready for a national event I would think this is poor quality instruction of the art as a whole. BUT being a school that can claim in any way " WE prepare our students for the Olympics" dose draw people in the door and make money for the instructor.