Something humbling..

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone knows by now we are having the Olympics here in a few weeks, the Olympic torch is being taken around the UK by a relay of runners nominated by the public, here's just one of them...the most injured soldier to have survived in Afghanistan. He lost both his legs, his back was broken and he has brain injuries, not a single part of his body was unharmed after a bomb explosion but he was determined he would walk without his crutches to carry his Olympic torch.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18594300

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...son-proud-of-olympic-torch-relay-7888720.html

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That was awesome, although I wonder if sympathy for a disability should be the paramount requirement to carry the torch

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was awesome, although I wonder if sympathy for a disability should be the paramount requirement to carry the torch

You think he was chosen because people felt sorry for him? I'm afraid you are wrong if you do, he was nominated by his friends as being worthy to carry the flame. The people of Doncaster weren't out there cheering because they felt sorry for him, they were there to support him as a courageous soldier who got his injuries serving his country. He is, as the nominations say, an inspiration to us all. As I said it's humbling, to feel pity for him is to demean him and he would reject any sympathy shown to him.
http://www.london2012.com/news/arti...r-8-000-inspirational-people-to-carry-th.html

Ben's website http://benschallenge.com/

Last edited:

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score

how about in appreciation for his service, sacrifice, and courage on and off the battlefield!!!! "SYMPATHY"!?!? I seriously doubt he needs any sympathy and probably wouldn't accept it. How about before you drop your tact on the floor and trip over it again - you take the time think before you post.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I don't know... Was Muhammed Ali selected to carry the torch out of sympathy? Or was it because of his accomplishments? I think Ali and this soldier were selected for reasons other than sympathy.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If sympathy for a disability was the paramount importance to carry the torch, then all torch carriers would be disabled. Full stop.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are hundreds of messages on Facebook alone of support for Ben, none of which are giving him sympathy but are full of respect for him, what he's done and what he's doing. They call him a hero which he surely is. He's in the gym for hours everyday pushing himself to become stronger, he and his family campaign for injured service personnel, they successfully made the government increase the compensation given to the wounded. He does as much fund raising for the wounded as he can, this man doesn't need sympathy, what he does demands respect and frankly awe that a man can do what he does. :asian:

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You think he was chosen because people felt sorry for him? I'm afraid you are wrong if you do, he was nominated by his friends as being worthy to carry the flame. The people of Doncaster weren't out there cheering because they felt sorry for him, they were there to support him as a courageous soldier who got his injuries serving his country. He is, as the nominations say, an inspiration to us all. As I said it's humbling, to feel pity for him is to demean him and he would reject any sympathy shown to him.
http://www.london2012.com/news/arti...r-8-000-inspirational-people-to-carry-th.html

Ben's website http://benschallenge.com/

I was just saying, I had a thought about this, as many people with disabilities are often pitied.

I for one, had disabled students, and although we had to make adjustments, I worked them as hards as everyone else.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But there's a big difference between thinking that people with disabilities are often pitied -- and thinking pity for the disabled was a paramount requirement to carry the torch.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just saying, I had a thought about this, as many people with disabilities are often pitied.

I for one, had disabled students, and although we had to make adjustments, I worked them as hards as everyone else.

I think the difference is that you see him as a disabled guy while we see him as a hero.

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
But there's a big difference between thinking that people with disabilities are often pitied -- and thinking pity for the disabled was a paramount requirement to carry the torch.

Hold on a minute. I dont see him as anything.

I was merely making a generalize comment on how someone could be inclined to think or say (or do) out of sympathy

Latest Discussions