Someone explain the technical differences in these branches

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks....I got it from a whole lot of "yakking" .

methinks you got your BB in cheesy puns a long time ago mate.
icon12.gif
They do make me laugh though.
icon10.gif

El_Nastro

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Based on what my friend says TWC seems to be about attacking the blindside and controlling the elbow.

William Cheung people like to say that, and when they do it implies that WC isn't about attacking the "blindside" and isn't about controlling the elbow.

Well, it is. All you have to do is look at any Ip Man WC person doing the dummy form, & basically the entire dummy set is all about ways to get to the outside. In WC, you learn how to work on the inside if you need to, or the outside. Where you wind up working depends entirely on the situation.

And we know all about controlling the elbow.

Other differences between Cheung-style & WC:

Cheung people often say, "We have superior, more mobile footwork because we don't keep all our weight on one leg. We do 50/50 weight distribution and are thus more mobile."

Again, this implies something about WC that simply isn't true. In WC there's nothing preventing you from stepping around with your balance at 50/50, but you also learn to shift your balance (and thus your centerline's position) around your "balance-base" without stepping. Often, a simple shift will suffice & you don't need to take an actual step.

So many of these differences you friend says exist between Cheung-style & Ip Man WC aren't really differences at all.

As for actual differences:

In Cheung-style, they believe "Bil Jee" is about poking the enemy with your fingertips & attacking "pressure points".

In WC, the Biu Jee form has nothing to do with pressure points....yeah, you could use a biu sau to stab someone in the eyes or throat, but that's not really what the technique is usually trained for - the same way you could use a pok sau to slap someone in the face, but that's not really what the technique is trained for. In WC, the biu sau move is for bridging and for recovering the line if you lose it. And in WC, the Biu Jee form is about "emergency techniques" recovering the centerline if you get in trouble, and it's where you start learning how to correctly generate as much power as you can.

Ip Man WC believes in attacking the enemy's core & attacking his balance, it doesn't spend much time worrying about specific pressure points.

Also, Cheung-style is a lot more complicated than in terms of the forms. Just watch Ip Man or any of his other students doing them (do a youtube search for Wong Shun Leung, Chu Shong Tin, Ip Ching, or any of those guys). They're deceptively simple. Now watch Cheung, or any of his students Note the difference.

What is Leung Ting's philosphy? I went to one free class introductory class so far and it seems they put a lot of weight on the back leg like in bare knuckle boxing and some Karate styles. Anyone know a little more about it care to comment.
Constructive comments only please.

These days I'm in the Ip Ching lineage, but I've spent a fair amount of time training in Ting's system.

The main thing about Ting's approach is that they favor a full-on blitz-attack and seek to overwhelm the enemy by throwing faster, harder attacks than the enemy. Watch the Wing Chun episode of "Fight Quest" & you'll see what I mean. Is the enemy charging & chain punching at you? Ting's answer is (often), "chain punch right back at him!" Leung Ting's system is basically about full-on, overwhelming aggression.

This is not to say that other lineages are not about being aggressive, but at least in the Ip Ching lineage, you train to gain control using chi sau training, find a hole, and then unload with chain punches.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
El_Nastro. I would have to disagree with your statement about LT system. From my experience with another member on this forum, who has trained under LT. Is quite the opposite. I too had this preconception, before I actually met, and trained with someone from the system. I think the tactics you mentioned are of a lower skill, and beginner level.

Jake

El_Nastro

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
El_Nastro. I would have to disagree with your statement about LT system. From my experience with another member on this forum, who has trained under LT. Is quite the opposite. I too had this preconception, before I actually met, and trained with someone from the system. I think the tactics you mentioned are of a lower skill, and beginner level.

Jake

That very well could be. When I was doing LTWC, I was a beginner. (I was in LTWC for about a year)

Still, that approach seems to be more common in the LT lineage than others.

Again, just as an example, watch the fight quest episode. The 2 newbies charged at the LT veterans, and the veterans' answer was to try to out chain-punch the challengers. Maybe the veterans could have done something other than that, but they didn't.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That very well could be. When I was doing LTWC, I was a beginner. (I was in LTWC for about a year)

Still, that approach seems to be more common in the LT lineage than others.

Again, just as an example, watch the fight quest episode. The 2 newbies charged at the LT veterans, and the veterans' answer was to try to out chain-punch the challengers. Maybe the veterans could have done something other than that, but they didn't.

Yeah, I was also pretty disappointed in the way LT coached those guys... both the fight quest guy (who messed up his knee struggling to adapt to the WT back-weighted stance) and LT's Chinese guys the American had to spar. But there is more to the LT system than what we saw in that episode. In fact I'm beginning to think that there are a couple of divergent philosophies growing out of LT's Wingtsun. Look at Kernspecht and the Europeans, at Emin here in the States, at Jeff Webb in Texas, then back at the guys in Hong Kong. You will see some significant variations, and I really don't believe that the Chinese are always the best.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I was also pretty disappointed in the way LT coached those guys... both the fight quest guy (who messed up his knee struggling to adapt to the WT back-weighted stance) and LT's Chinese guys the American had to spar. But there is more to the LT system than what we saw in that episode. In fact I'm beginning to think that there are a couple of divergent philosophies growing out of LT's Wingtsun. Look at Kernspecht and the Europeans, at Emin here in the States, at Jeff Webb in Texas, then back at the guys in Hong Kong. You will see some significant variations, and I really don't believe that the Chinese are always the best.

I've experienced this first hand. My first si-fu was directly from EWTO training, while my current si-fu was a product of HK training.
The HK version is definitely softer, but the German variation revolutionized the fighting aspect of it with its lat sao programs.

Latest Discussions