Some thoughts on MAs from a Senior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm hoping you guys might have some thoughts here.

I am not a senior (37), however, I suffer from periodic bouts of severe gout. At these times I have to resort to a cane to help me about.

Now, I've always thought it would be good to get some training in the use of the cane as a self defence weapon. However, I oftne wonder how useful I'd be taking the thing I need for mobility off the ground. I'd literally be hopping on one foot whilst trying to fend off the bad guy.

how does one deal with that?

Peace,
Erik
Yeah, I get that. Short answers: (1) the cane has plenty of reach; and, (2) you don't have to hop so much as be ready to pivot (you don't want to go three rounds, just do enough damage to stop them). The good leg is your foundation, maybe the bad one can be 10-15% weight bearing for support, as in a cat stance? (OR maybe not--I've had knee sprains so bad I couldn't even reach the ground with the bad leg :)). Either way, remember, they're attacking you, so they're the ones trying to crowd in. If they do, the cane can be oh so handy. But we've gotta be proficient or else we'll just fumble around with it and they'll overwhelm us--and then possibly use it against us.

Oh, and I think we can make you an honorary senior, what with your periodic mobility problems and all. :D

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

yes seniors and those approaching that age bracket can become more flexible and more self confident through learning a martial art. The feeling one gets from just practicing with the young ones and keeping up is wonderful.
Knowing what to do and being able to do it are two different things however, and many classes that teach a cane are not taught by a person who actually walks and uses a cane every day or by someone who has made of study of the weapon as opposed to just making things up that look fancy.
Tai Chi is an excellent art and its practice alone (with or with out a cane) is beneficial .
My best to you and I hope you continue to enjoy your studies.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
"I oftne wonder how useful I'd be taking the thing I need for mobility off the ground. I'd literally be hopping on one foot whilst trying to fend off the bad guy."

Blue, what would you do if you didn't have a cane?

Normally, I don't need one. But when the gout gets flaring, I limp a lot. What I'm saying is that when I have a cane, my mobility is compromised without it. The stuff I've seen is generally done by mobile folks that can bear weight on both of their legs.

My question, and I think it bears on what you are trying to develop is...how would the can work as a self-defense tool when you essentially have to balance on one foot?

Peace,
Erik

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I get that. Short answers: (1) the cane has plenty of reach; and, (2) you don't have to hop so much as be ready to pivot (you don't want to go three rounds, just do enough damage to stop them). The good leg is your foundation, maybe the bad one can be 10-15% weight bearing for support, as in a cat stance? (OR maybe not--I've had knee sprains so bad I couldn't even reach the ground with the bad leg :)). Either way, remember, they're attacking you, so they're the ones trying to crowd in. If they do, the cane can be oh so handy. But we've gotta be proficient or else we'll just fumble around with it and they'll overwhelm us--and then possibly use it against us.

Oh, and I think we can make you an honorary senior, what with your periodic mobility problems and all. :D

That is more along the lines of how I've thought about this issue in the past. I'd have to be ruhtless with the cane as I'd not have the luxury of my usualy footwork to avoid problems. Cat stance would be my generaly stance, and I'd hope for that adrenaline rush to cut out some of the pain (perhaps enough for me to deal with the situation and get out).

Another thought I've had that would work for me, but not necessarily for someone in their 70's or 80's. I could look to go for a takedown and then grapple (assuming a 1:1 situation). that woudl take thre pressure off of a bum foot/leg and give me further options. That may not be an option later on down the line (depending on how the rest of my body holds up).

Anyways, any system geared towards seniors should take things like this into account.

Peace,
Erik

OP
D

DGF

White Belt
Reaction score
On rethinking your disability I am thinking that part of this instruction should include some "tricks", MAs seem to be full of them. Tricks that allow us to act from an outwardly appearing non threatening position that catches the aggressor by surprise and allows us to strike a initially disabling blow. As I said earlier, I deffer to the experienced MA practitioners who could develop these moves.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
On rethinking your disability I am thinking that part of this instruction should include some "tricks", MAs seem to be full of them. Tricks that allow us to act from an outwardly appearing non threatening position that catches the aggressor by surprise and allows us to strike a initially disabling blow. As I said earlier, I deffer to the experienced MA practitioners who could develop these moves.
Those 'tricks' are standard fare in some arts. They're called *preemptive strikes*, *fight-ending moves*, and such. And if they can be done with empty hands, there are certainly many possibilities with a 3 foot hardened stick in your hand. :)

OP
D

DGF

White Belt
Reaction score
Kids, I suspected as much. Now we need someone to devise and teach us those "tricks".

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kids, I suspected as much. Now we need someone to devise and teach us those "tricks".
I'm working on a new form now for the fully abled. Should be able to modify it pretty easily for when we find ourselves disabled. But isn't the guy in Miss. working on this already? My only experience with seniors is being one, and I may be atypical. :D

OP
D

DGF

White Belt
Reaction score
Kids, I think the MS guy is working on it. I will be curious to see what he comes up with. I sent you a PM on cnae design.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Got it and replied. I'll be curious too. I did join the Yahoo group, so can be found there, too.

Latest Discussions