So whats your go to Striking defense drill for class?

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
We all have favorite defense drills, Me I like good ole fashioned TECH sparring. Here is a interesting video of another type of defense training.
I used to train in a similar fashion at my former karate inspired mma place.

So whats your go to striking defense drill for your students? Students, what is your favorite drill for striking defense repetition practice?

Last edited by a moderator:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We all have favorite defense drills, Me I like good ole fashioned TECH sparring. Here is a interesting video of another type of defense training.
I used to train in a similar fashion at my former karate inspired mma place.

So whats your go to striking defense drill for your students? Students, what is your favorite drill for striking defense repetition practice?

I'll use a plastic ball bat or padded poles for blocking exercises -- but that particular drill seems worthless to me. I can think of ways to rework it -- but the way that was done is just worthless it seems. The strikes weren't really going to the targets, and the blocks weren't really stopping anything. There was no positioning or recognition of the movement; it was purely "go here, go there..." and the teacher would meet with the strike.

We'll "spar the bat" where the instructor uses a bat or pole to strike. At the beginning, it's significantly telegraphed or even called out, and the targets are limited. With time and practice, more targets are added, speed goes up, and telegraphs go down.

I also like simply working with a partner, who sends a strike in. Start slow, recognize the strike, and wait until it's actually on the way before you move and block. Speed up as you go.

Last edited by a moderator:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll use a plastic ball bat or padded poles for blocking exercises -- but that particular drill seems worthless to me. I can think of ways to rework it -- but the way that was done is just worthless it seems. The strikes weren't really going to the targets, and the blocks weren't really stopping anything. There was no positioning or recognition of the movement; it was purely "go here, go there..." and the teacher would meet with the strike.

We'll "spar the bat" where the instructor uses a bat or pole to strike. At the beginning, it's significantly telegraphed or even called out, and the targets are limited. With time and practice, more targets are added, speed goes up, and telegraphs go down.

I also like simply working with a partner, who sends a strike in. Start slow, recognize the strike, and wait until it's actually on the way before you move and block. Speed up as you go.
We do the same thing as you with the padded bats

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
I posted that video because its the closest I have to what I did. Ours was more like what JKS described. It started slow and was telegraphed. After a while it sped up and was less telegraphed. TBH I loved that drill.

Latest Discussions