MMA sparring in illinois

kingofjong

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello

I am following up on my my post BJJ hardcore sparring. I learned from this thread that most BJJ trains for striking situations but you can get as good as your partner with striking defense. Hence I was wondering are there any MMA jims or dojos that let students from other schools or discipline spar with there students. For example I learn striking defense in BJJ class then I go to MMA dojo and apply that knowledge. I don't want to learn how to punch or kick just spar and defend against them. I am interested in dojos in Illinois.

Thanks
Kingofjong

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have any, but some advice-look for mma dojos that have their schedules posted on their website, and look for ones that have "open mat" or "open sparring" on it. That typically means that on those days anyone can come in and spar those days (for a mat fee..where i am its normally like $5-10 per session, but that can vary a lot).

kevinsstelly

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello

I am following up on my my post BJJ hardcore sparring. I learned from this thread that most BJJ trains for striking situations but you can get as good as your partner with striking defense. Hence I was wondering are there here any MMA jims or dojos that let students from other schools or discipline spar with there students. For example I learn striking defense in BJJ class then I go to MMA dojo and apply that knowledge. I don't want to learn how to punch or kick just spar and defend against them. I am interested in dojos in Illinois.

Thanks
Kingofjong
Personally, the first step is to search on the Internet for “open mat” as stated above! But it is advisable to find out from the reviews a good place and an accessible area for ease of travel!

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
BJJ purist? Where do you want to go? If you’re qualified, you can petition pro mma schools to become a training/sparring partner for up and coming or even established fighters. I would imagine that practicing with players that have both great stand up skills AND great take down defense would be challenging. There are so many ways to go, depending what your end goal is. Specifically in Illinois? Tough one.

OP
K

kingofjong

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you. The words I was looking for was open mat sparring. I am new to martial arts so I did not know that.

Latest Discussions