So What's the Hold Up??

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello all from a complete newB! I'm here seeking enlightenment - sort of... I'm hoping there's someone out there that can show me the way to get myself motivated to get back out there and *do* my martial art? Dumb question probably, I'm not sure why I'm procrastinating - I enjoyed the club, I enjoy the art [Shodokan Aikido] and senseis were very encouraging but I've had a long lay off [kids, houses and everything else] and I'm having trouble getting my foot back over the dojo threshold. Any tips or suggestions would be *very* welcome indeed!

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MartialIntent said:
Hello all from a complete newB! I'm here seeking enlightenment - sort of... I'm hoping there's someone out there that can show me the way to get myself motivated to get back out there and *do* my martial art? Dumb question probably, I'm not sure why I'm procrastinating - I enjoyed the club, I enjoy the art [Shodokan Aikido] and senseis were very encouraging but I've had a long lay off [kids, houses and everything else] and I'm having trouble getting my foot back over the dojo threshold. Any tips or suggestions would be *very* welcome indeed!

I would start by practicing your old rolls and breakfalls on your carpet or other soft, safe spot. A couple of weeks of this should get you back in the spirit and you won't have the feeling, subconcious or otherwise, that you would be TOTALLY lost upon your return to the dojo. Most long term martial artists have been where you're at at some point. My answer was to put my WaveMaster bag near my bed. A few jabs, crosses and sidekicks done at my leisure got me back into the swing of things.

Welcome to Martial Talk!:)

OP
MartialIntent

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
I would start by practicing your old rolls and breakfalls on your carpet or other soft, safe spot. A couple of weeks of this should get you back in the spirit and you won't have the feeling, subconcious or otherwise, that you would be TOTALLY lost upon your return to the dojo. Most long term martial artists have been where you're at at some point. My answer was to put my WaveMaster bag near my bed. A few jabs, crosses and sidekicks done at my leisure got me back into the swing of things.

Welcome to Martial Talk!:)
Sound advice, and many thanks for the welcome! You've got me thinking - I suppose it's a simple matter of focusing on *why* I wanted to do the art in the first place. Now, why was that...? :)

splazzatch

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I just got back from where you are. My goal was to be a black belt by the time I graduated college...well I didn't anticipate how much time college would take and I ended up stopping all martial arts for about 4 years. I just got back into it a few months ago and it is just now coming back to me. What got me in there was I ran out of excuses...school wasn't in the way, my wife wanted me to get back into it, my sensei gave me free classes. It's a matter of desire...is it what you want to do? If it is you'll get back in to it.

However I should add on my first class back in the dojo I vomitted all over the gym floor because I was so out of shape.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
MartialIntent said:

First off, Welcome to the forum!

As for your question. As it was already said, you can begin by working out on your own, running through all of your past material. However, you're going to have to just take that big step, and get back to the dojo!! Once you get back there, and start training, any lack of motivation should be erased!

Good luck!!

Mike

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome and I hope you find what you are looking for. 1st are you training for any particular goals , shape, competition, self defense. I have always found if you have a common goal for why you training training is not hard. When a lay off occurs most feel they cannot preform at the same level they once was at, but it is like riding a bike once learn you never forget just a little rusty. I would do like the other was suggested and begin training by myself and go fron there. Maybe ask to do a private or two to get the motor running again. Last but not least if true enlightment is what you would like then you need to quite beating around the bush and cross into the training hall.

Terry Lee Stoker

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Procrastinating is a confrontation in your mind about what you WANT to do and what you NEED to do. You picture yourself back in the dojo in your mind, but haven't taken that first step yet. I think you need to take a boot out of your closet and firmly place it right up your motivation. I myself have a pair I use for just such occasions. We all do, so no, it's by no means a dumb question. SO GET OFF THE COUCH AND DO IT!!!

BTW. Welcome to the forum! I'm expecting to see lots of posts of the play by play of your successful return to the arts.

Good Luck!

OP
MartialIntent

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well said all - and your encouragement is greatly appreciated! :asian:
The ironic thing is, I got a dozen reasons for hitting the mats again! Of course there's always that whinging little voice "you ain't got time" etc. etc. - I gotta quash that!! Hehe. A kick up the *** is exactly right - I'm off fer some self-discipline at the end of a couple of rattan sticks...

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There realy is only one way to do it, just get your uniform in a bag or in your hand and tell the wife you'll be back in a while, then go down to the school bow to your instructor and say "I am back if you will have me"