Decisions and Expectations

Quiggz

White Belt
Reaction score
All right, so I'm a student in Philadelphia, and I'm really getting myself back into martial arts. I just joined the school's Aikido club, which I am enjoying immensely, but it does not push the students very hard. I have always wanted to learn as many different martial arts as I could, or at least get a foundation in several more. So right now I am looking at going to regular lessons in another martial art.

So here's the question: It looks like I am going to be between Muay Thai and Kung Fu, so I am wondering what exactly I should expect from each of them? I have yet to go visit the facilities, but I thought a little wisdom could help before heading into either place. What do you guys think?

Also, to specify the Kung Fu academy says, "The majority of students begin their training in the Southern Five-Animal system, adding on elements from Hung Gar and/or Northern Preying Mantis according to desire."

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
MT usually has a lot of conditioning work, as well as sparring/sparring drills. Kung Fu could be damn near anything, from schools that do nothing but forms, to schools that emphasize sparring, etc.

Best idea is to check them out yourself, and see which one you like.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Aikido is one of those arts that cross-training in something like MT is just really going to screw up your basics. If you want to train something that might not conflict as badly, you might try BJJ or something completely unrelated.

I'm certainly not against cross-training, but you'll have to be careful about what you choose to cross-train in as a beginner.

Lamont

OP
Q

Quiggz

White Belt
Reaction score
That is a good point... Definitely something I'll have to take into consideration. I'll also have to look into what else is available around here too.

Assuming I did decide to stick with one of the two mentioned above, any more advice around?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Please look into JUDO or any Kenpo/Kempo schools?

Aloha (Judo is more than you think)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like what you've already planned would be enough to keep you busy.

Latest Discussions