So our Facebook post blew up in to a massive troll fest.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Boxing is one of the oldest sports. And one that is practiced in prison.

I've watched a ton of Prison Channels by Ex-Cons over the years and they often mention that Sports Fighters were one of the most revered & feared in prison; ranging from pure Boxers to pure Wrestlers, with MMA being the highest. Many of the enforcers in prison are sports fighters. Contrary to what people think, it's not all about shanking someone as prisoners often fight to settle minor beefs to major beefs, test of heart/initiation, and just plain for fun ("rec-time"). Because shanking someone but they don't die, is probably 5-10 years added. If they die, you're screwed. Fighting that causes no serious injuries nor severe cuts is a lot more lenient in time added, then when your OPP is maimed/ICU'ed, etc. So imagine going in for 1 year for DUI or pot possession and getting tacked with 25 years for Murder-1.

Now in a Level-4 Federal Prison, you either squash the beef or you have to kill the other guy as they don't allow fights. You fight and the Shot Caller will have you murdered.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really though in the end, I shouldn't have commented as I have very little respect for sport arts and their practitioners.

I refrain from comment ing on sports.
I thought these guys had gone extinct? Next it will be a post about how all it takes is a well placed elbow to stop 'the Gracie tackle' lol

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought these guys had gone extinct? Next it will be a post about how all it takes is a well placed elbow to stop 'the Gracie tackle' lol
I have an elbow (two, actually, but who's counting). They seem appropriately located. I've never been taken down by a Gracie tackle. Elbows work! :p

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You should read the comments on that Facebook post.

There I'd some epic stuff.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have an elbow (two, actually, but who's counting). They seem appropriately located. I've never been taken down by a Gracie tackle. Elbows work! :p

The 12 to 6 elbows of course. Not the 11:59 elbows that are allowed in sport.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Haha...oh the sporters...ya gotta love em.

They pretend and believe it's real and when you disagree, all they have left are insults..this habit from the sport artist hasn't changed in 30yrs.

Same bullying attitude from the same type of people.

But it is the reason why MT only have the same 10 people on here consistently. Bully's flock together..ya know birds of a feather.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

They pretend and believe it's real and when you disagree, all they have left are insults..this habit from the sport artist hasn't changed in 30yrs.

But it is the reason why MT only have the same 10 people on here consistently. Bully's flock together..ya know birds of a feather.
Well... it's moreso that it feels like you're holding a very black and white perspective on this. Different aspects help in different ways, and I wouldn't say this is a clear cut situation.

I mean, competing in a cage, dealing with adrenal dump, paralysing fear, having someone trying to seriously knock your head off and legitimately trying to hurt you... could you honestly say that these would not be valuable assets in a fight?

Nothing is perfect, no system can claim some guarantee on "street victories" which is utterly ridiculous, but some things help foster your sense of being able to handle certain situations. It's a spectrum, not an absolute.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I don't want it to seem as if I am joining any 'bully' parade or anything but as I read through the comments the question that came to my mind was, how does a street fighter get to be so good ? How would they train to 'sharpen' their 'tools' if not by practicing some 'sport' version of their 'street fighting'.

If you can shed some light, I think it will help me understand your point of view.

in regards to the young lady stepping into the cage, I give her all the props that she deserves. It's one thing to go to your local gym and train to fight. It is another thing to get into a cage where someone is actually trying to knock you out. You learn a lot about yourself in that moment and it will change you forever.

Latest Discussions