So... about 2 months ago

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I was in my basement doing the Yang Long form, I had been working on strengthening my knees so I could get to the end of the form and I had succeeded in getting there a couple days before. I had almost finished the form that evening when a thought popped into my head....... "I don't want to do this anymore". And I have not been able to get myself to do the form since.

Twenty years of Yang taijiquan and it just stopped.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in my basement doing the Yang Long form, I had been working on strengthening my knees so I could get to the end of the form and I had succeeded in getting there a couple days before. I had almost finished the form that evening when a thought popped into my head....... "I don't want to do this anymore". And I have not been able to get myself to do the form since.

Twenty years of Yang taijiquan and it just stopped.

Interesting. Any idea of why? Have you moved back to the bagua (if I recall correctly)?

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Sadly,
I've gone through this years ago as well. Yet, somehow, I keep telling myself I'll pick it up again. The years go by and nothing physically speaking. The interest is always there for watching, studying, researching, etc., but in all honesty, when your mind gets to that point- it's over. The more you fight with it, the bigger the disdain will grow inside you. I think it's over, though you may dabble here and there.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've had that experience, and probably will again. I always find it strange, but then, you know, do something else. Sometimes I look back and think "I wish I had kept doing that", but thoughts run in and out of my head all day long like squirrels. Maybe you'll have the thought to do it again at some point.

Strange journey, this Martial stuff. :)

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MA is a lifestyle choice all of it's own..... you go into it, start the journey, work hard and play harder - changing your routines around pratice and sessions, picking up the odd award (belt) and then you just reach the end of the conveyor belt and it's like wtf am i supposed to do next ?????

i've felt that many a time and not always after a viscious scrap either -- the training becomes monotonous and boring, your coach is just screaming the same s$%t at you all the time - new students turn up that aren't actually "into" it like you are and you get disillusioned with it all.

no one can just call it a day - it's always there in the back of your head, the training the conditioning the hard work that it took to become as good as you are never goes away - think that you'll just go back into your basement and carry on as per usual cos you've been doing it for far too long to ignore it :)

give yourself a slap and carry on ;)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you stopped doing something that you seemed to enjoy so much. Perhaps you will start again in the future.

Life takes some strange turns for reasons we are not able to figure out. There may be a reason that you will fighure out in the future if you do not push your thoughts on it to much.

Having stopped doing an art I loved for some reason I found that my personality seemed to change as time when by. It changed so much so that my wife told me to start studying again or move out as I had become a real ....... when I was not studying.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Interesting. Any idea of why? Have you moved back to the bagua (if I recall correctly)?

I did start training Bagua and I got through a Qigong sequence that is awesome and I still do but then bagua was done too. However the person I was training bagua with was at one time one of my Xingyi teacher and the need for Xingyi was too great so I am back training xingyi and rather happy about it.

Maybe you need a break to focus on your other areas of interest like hitting trees?

:hmm: GOOD IDEA!!!! :EG:

Focusing on xingyiquan but recently something that surprised that I took interest in but not sure I am going to train it or not yet. Either way, as long as my knees hold out Xingyi stays. There is more I am thinking about too, but it all depends on my knees and whether or not I’m too old and beat-up. And one of those things I already asked you about ;)

Sadly,
I've gone through this years ago as well. Yet, somehow, I keep telling myself I'll pick it up again. The years go by and nothing physically speaking. The interest is always there for watching, studying, researching, etc., but in all honesty, when your mind gets to that point- it's over. The more you fight with it, the bigger the disdain will grow inside you. I think it's over, though you may dabble here and there.

I have hit bumps in the Taiji road before but nothing like this. But Xingyi is back and I’m happy about that

I've had that experience, and probably will again. I always find it strange, but then, you know, do something else. Sometimes I look back and think "I wish I had kept doing that", but thoughts run in and out of my head all day long like squirrels. Maybe you'll have the thought to do it again at some point.

Strange journey, this Martial stuff.

Bagua was one of those I wished I had kept that styles as well as a Shandong Province old Style Chen form. The Bagua I went back to but decided at my age it was too complicated to continue and actually expect any level of proficiency. As for the Shandong Province old Style Chen form, I still wished I had kept that but I have only known one teacher that knew it and he will no longer teach it. But then even if I kept it likely I would have stopped that a couple months ago as well.
However Xingyi is back and so far so good

MA is a lifestyle choice all of it's own..... you go into it, start the journey, work hard and play harder - changing your routines around pratice and sessions, picking up the odd award (belt) and then you just reach the end of the conveyor belt and it's like wtf am i supposed to do next ?????

i've felt that many a time and not always after a viscious scrap either -- the training becomes monotonous and boring, your coach is just screaming the same s$%t at you all the time - new students turn up that aren't actually "into" it like you are and you get disillusioned with it all.

no one can just call it a day - it's always there in the back of your head, the training the conditioning the hard work that it took to become as good as you are never goes away - think that you'll just go back into your basement and carry on as per usual cos you've been doing it for far too long to ignore it

give yourself a slap and carry on

Been there before, this is different and I can’t get myself to do it at all. But there is xingyi and another thing that caught my interest that surprised me as well as a possible training path that popped into my head after the taiji just stopped. But most of that depends on my knees.

I use to do a lot of other styles I no longer do, but none as long as I have done taijiquan

Sorry to hear you stopped doing something that you seemed to enjoy so much. Perhaps you will start again in the future.

Life takes some strange turns for reasons we are not able to figure out. There may be a reason that you will fighure out in the future if you do not push your thoughts on it to much.

Having stopped doing an art I loved for some reason I found that my personality seemed to change as time when by. It changed so much so that my wife told me to start studying again or move out as I had become a real ....... when I was not studying.

My wife has called me martial arts crazy since we were dating…tells her family I am too…and they’re all in China :D

I was entirely unable to train for a while and I did change, became more irritable at home and more depressed at work. When I could get back to taiji I started to feel better, But there have been bumps in the taiji road before and I got over them, but this time felt very different.

I was going nuts not training anything and I could not get myself to train taijiquan and that is what got me back to bagua and through that back to Xingyiquan.

Once I seemed to except that Taiji was done this entire idea for training popped into my head. Now if my knees and age will allow me to do it I’ll be fine.

Then just last week I came across something that caught my interest and no one is more surprised than I am about it since I had the opportunity to train it before, actually did for a bit, and then stopped. Mostly out of arrogance associated with the fact I did “Traditional Yang Style” taijiquan and my “lineage” in that style, looking back that was silly and a rather bad reason for that assessment.

But Xingyi first and the rest later…hopefully

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good Luck. I know you'll find the answer or should I say you will find your way.
Sometimes stopping is the answer even if we do not know the question. As long as you are happy keep doing what makes you happy

colemcm

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So what was it that made you decide to stop? I'm reasonably sure that it wasn't a random decision.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
So what was it that made you decide to stop? I'm reasonably sure that it wasn't a random decision.

And I am reasonably sure I have not idea :)

I truly do not know, I just stopped. Did the same thing with Guitar several years ago as well. Played it for many years and then one day just did not want to. about 10 years later I did pick it up again and paly a little but mostly they sit in the corner collecting dust.

colemcm

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Huh. Maybe it's just been a long time coming? I've noticed that in the time since I've seen your posts you've seemed to be drawn more towards other arts; specifically Xing Yi. Maybe you felt that Xing Yi wasn't an option, so you had to practice Tai Chi by default? Then it was just a matter of familiarity breeding contempt?

Do you feel as though you don't gain anything from Tai Chi anymore?

I'm not trying to talk you into practicing Tai Chi. I'm just curious about the process.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Huh. Maybe it's just been a long time coming? I've noticed that in the time since I've seen your posts you've seemed to be drawn more towards other arts; specifically Xing Yi. Maybe you felt that Xing Yi wasn't an option, so you had to practice Tai Chi by default? Then it was just a matter of familiarity breeding contempt?

Do you feel as though you don't gain anything from Tai Chi anymore?

I'm not trying to talk you into practicing Tai Chi. I'm just curious about the process.

I have been in and out of Xingyi for years (only a couple years less than taiji actually) and being out has always been based on the availability of a teacher. I have been interested in Xingyi since I read an article in what was then "Karate Illustrated" around 1973, long before I ever heard of taijiquan. It just took me about 18 years to find my first teacher. And I was already practicing Japanese jiujitsu at that time and after that pre-Olympic TKD followed. After that came Taiji with who would become my first Xingyi/Bagua sifu as well. There has also been Long Fist, Sanda, Wing Chun, and JKD along the way to today too.

I do not think gaining has anything to do with it. There is a lot to be gained from Taiji at this point since I am coming off of a long injury issue. I just had the thought "I don't want to do this anymore" but the further I get from that and talking about it the last week may be starting to give me some hint as to why, but at this time I am not so sure.

I loved Chen style, don't want to do it. really liked traditional Yang and it is what I have done most, but can't get myself to do it. Still do qigong and enjoy it, part of one qigong form is bagua circle walking and its great and xingyi is awesome per usual..... but not taiji, I just do not want to do it

colemcm

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Interesting. Maybe as you gain distance from it you'll gain more insight into why?

Maybe the "why" doesn't matter.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck in whatever you pursue next.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Start teaching somebody.
That usually gets me all enthused about Wing Chun all over again.

Nah been there done that don't want to so it no more :D

No that would mean I would have to do the form, which I no longer want to do.

I did try and start teaching xingyi before my last round of injury issues. But Xingyi is a hard sell and as anyone who teaches knows there is a big difference between saying you want to learn and showing up to learn.

But to be painfully honest I thought of that and I really do not have any desire to teach anyone at the moment

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Nah been there done that don't want to so it no more :D

I did try and start teaching xingyi before my last round of injury issues. But Xingyi is a hard sell and as anyone who teaches knows there is a big difference between saying you want to learn and showing up to learn.

But to be painfully honest I thought of that and I really do not have any desire to teach anyone at the moment

Agreed about the difference of saying your wanting to take martial arts and actually showing up to the scheduled lessons.

It always blew me away that people would be paying over a $100 a month and only show up to a couple private lessons a week when I use to teach.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I will agree the long forms do take up some time in your training and I tend to focus on my other CLF, WC & Bagua forms and am happy to use my 24 step form as a cool down to those forms.

I really don't know if I could dedicate time to learning the long form and maintaining it since I have the other material I'm focusing on and now the new addition of aikido material as well.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I will agree the long forms do take up some time in your training and I tend to focus on my other CLF, WC & Bagua forms and am happy to use my 24 step form as a cool down to those forms.

I really don't know if I could dedicate time to learning the long form and maintaining it since I have the other material I'm focusing on and now the new addition of aikido material as well.

My flavor of Taiji has
1 Long form
2 fast forms
1 Jian form
2 Dao forms
1 staff form
1 Tuishou form
and various 3 step and one step drills as well as various types of push hands training

Yup, its a lot add to that I use to also try and keep up my Chen Laojia Yilu and the 18 form...throw in Xingyi Wuxing stuff and qigong......not enough time in a day

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had stopped doing that 20 years ago. I prefer to use my training time to

- develop new skills,
- enhance old skills.

Some people may want to be able to do a good form when they are 80 years old. I want to be able to handle a 20 years old when I am 80.

Last edited: