Taijiquan - Quick and possibly meaningless post, with a short, unverified, story

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Taijiquan, Xingyiquan, Baguazhang, Sanda, Shaolin Long fist, a dash of Wing Chun, and a dash of JKD....go back further you get into Japanese Jujutsu and pre-olympic TKD....there are a few others I have tried, but they never amounted to much. But mostly Taijiquan and XIngyiquan....prior to the knee issues that is all it was...Yang Taijiquan, Hebei XIngyiquan.
Who did you learn Baguazhang and Yang Tai chi with?

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, several times...I did not enjoy it
Well, I thought it was weird, but (cough) are we supposed to enjoy all therapies? My TCM doc leaned into me with his sharp elbow, and it was excruciating, like acupuncture between my toes, but it felt good when he stopped, and fixed the problem.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Who did you learn Baguazhang and Yang Tai chi with?
Baguazhang a few different teachers, but I never completely learned an entire style. I learned 8 palm Yin, 8 Palm Cheng and a swimming dragon form that may have been Jiang.

Yang Taijiquan is with one teacher who was a student of Tung Ying Chieh in Hong Kong.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well, I thought it was weird, but (cough) are we supposed to enjoy all therapies? My TCM doc leaned into me with his sharp elbow, and it was excruciating, like acupuncture between my toes, but it felt good when he stopped, and fixed the problem.
My wife, my TCM doc, is doing cupping, all over my upper thigh and a whole lot on the IT Band. I also get acupuncture.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Baguazhang a few different teachers, but I never completely learned an entire style. I learned 8 palm Yin, 8 Palm Cheng and a swimming dragon form that may have been Jiang.

Yang Taijiquan is with one teacher who was a student of Tung Ying Chieh in Hong Kong.
Thank you. My friend Jess O Brien learned from Luo and Kumar. He taught in Oakland for 10 years but now he is back up here training Wing Woo Gar again. Trying to get him to teach again has been challenging.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I learned how to enjoy deep tissue massage from quite a few trained pros. Hurts so good.

It's all about the breathing, just like giving birth. Almost.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I learned how to enjoy deep tissue massage from quite a few trained pros. Hurts so good.

It's all about the breathing, just like giving birth. Almost.
Or eight hour tattoo sessions. I have hundreds of hours of breathing through tattoo. Nothing like birth but definitely can get my attention, especially after hour six.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
A Tai Chi master, a priest, and a rabbi walk into a bar.

Each takes a seat. The rabbi and the priest at the bar, the master sits at a table alone. A waitress comes around and asks each what they'll be having.

"tequila, blanco".

"vodka on ice".

"water is fine".

Who said what?

Taijiquan master said all three, his knee broken.

letsplaygames

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Assuming this knee ever recovers, when all is said and done, I may be a Sun Taijiquan/Northern Wu Taijiquan guy. I tend to get tired of Yang from time to time and even though I have not done much for over 6 months now, I am still not thrilled about returning to it.

I am slowly coming back working on Sun style, which by the way has considerably more obvious applications based on the individual postures with surprising similarities to JKD and not so surprising similarities to Xingyiquan. And I have always been drawn to Wu style, I later found out it was Northern Wu. When I first started Taijiquan, with my first shifu, I was doing Yang, then some Chen, then my Shifu taught us a Wu competition form. I eventually had to stop doing it because I could not separate it from Chen or Yang. I'd start Yang and somewhere the postures switched to Wu and the same happened with Chen as well. Never had that problem with Yang crossing over to Chen or Chen to Yang.

I seriously doubt I could do any Northern Wu at the moment. Tried some of my Traditional Yang last night and I got only as far as 'cross hands' after the first 'Apparent Closing', then my knee said..."you're done", and it was wrapped in an Ace bandage at the time too.

However I will say this, I do tend to agree with my Yang Shifu (second shifu) that Wu is not exactly taijiquan. It tends to not follow the 10 essentials form Yang Chengfu all that closely. There is a story my Shifu told about Wu; the Wu family was Manchu and the Yang family was Han. So when Yang Luchan (or possibly Yang Banhou) taught the Wu family, they only taught the defensive moves since they did not want to teach a conqueror (aka enemy) anything they could use against them...and telling an imperial guard no might not have been a healthy thing to do at that time (Qing Dynasty).Therefore my Yang Shifu does not think Wu is any good at offense, but very good at defense.

However he forgets one thing, the Wu family, at that time, were imperial guards, they already knew how to fight rather well and could very easily attack, possibly not with Taijiquan, but they knew how to attack. My thinking, is, since this is the case, it could be why Wu taijiquan does not follow the 10 essentials all that closely and also why I tend to think of it as not quite taijiquan.

But, regardless, what I end up doing is all speculation and highly dependant on this knee finally working as I was told it would.

Hao, Wu and Chen Fu's "Yang" family style are all the same thing.... i.e. When it comes to Yang Lu Chan's style.... and highly likely various snap shots in time of Yang lu Chan's Quan fa. (fist methods)

all of them... practice Ba Men is a similar fashion

You got Yang Lu Chan teaching Wu Yuxaing, then Wu going back to the Chen village... then result ... a style the mimics Yang Chen Fu's (Yang Family style) in form and function.. same kind of structure, same/ number of movements. etc etc Second.. You have an aging Lu Chan and his son teaching Wu Quanyou, The result: a style that mimics Hao, and Chen Fu's Yang style.... again in form and function, number of movements etc.. Last you have Yang Shao-p'eng ... son of Yang Bon Hou teaching Chen Fu and Shou Hou. the results Chen Fu's art mimicking Hao and Wu style in form and function, same amount of moves etc etc.

People who think Chen Fu was never martial a martial art, need to read stories of him teaching Chen Man Ching, or look into Dong Style Taijiquan in the 1950s

Personally I scoff and styles that claim they are the old Yang lu Chan style... always the linage is mired in haze... second cousin of a second cousin kept the real art alive yada yada yada ... pure BS IMO.

The legit linage of all three aside...
the fact they practice the Ba-men all the same.. and the distillation of methods down to legit high % number of applications (FYI distilling an art down to only workable methods was huge in TCMA in the 1800s).. leads me to believe that these are the real Yang Lu Chan style.. (just different interpretations...)

It's unfortunate that practioner and the average joe can not separate the cultural ambassadorship that accompanies these arts from the martial prowess they can teach. large part art of it... are rainbow warriors attempting to culturally appropriate Han culture...

I'm not a Tajiquan practioner... but I have an astute eye for the practical and martial prowess... I see massive capabilities in all three Taijiquan styles

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hao, Wu and Chen Fu's "Yang" family style are all the same thing.... i.e. When it comes to Yang Lu Chan's style.... and highly likely various snap shots in time of Yang lu Chan's Quan fa. (fist methods)

all of them... practice Ba Men is a similar fashion

You got Yang Lu Chan teaching Wu Yuxaing, then Wu going back to the Chen village... then result ... a style the mimics Yang Chen Fu's (Yang Family style) in form and function.. same kind of structure, same/ number of movements. etc etc Second.. You have an aging Lu Chan and his son teaching Wu Quanyou, The result: a style that mimics Hao, and Chen Fu's Yang style.... again in form and function, number of movements etc.. Last you have Yang Shao-p'eng ... son of Yang Bon Hou teaching Chen Fu and Shou Hou. the results Chen Fu's art mimicking Hao and Wu style in form and function, same amount of moves etc etc.

People who think Chen Fu was never martial a martial art, need to read stories of him teaching Chen Man Ching, or look into Dong Style Taijiquan in the 1950s

Personally I scoff and styles that claim they are the old Yang lu Chan style... always the linage is mired in haze... second cousin of a second cousin kept the real art alive yada yada yada ... pure BS IMO.

The legit linage of all three aside...
the fact they practice the Ba-men all the same.. and the distillation of methods down to legit high % number of applications (FYI distilling an art down to only workable methods was huge in TCMA in the 1800s).. leads me to believe that these are the real Yang Lu Chan style.. (just different interpretations...)

It's unfortunate that practioner and the average joe can not separate the cultural ambassadorship that accompanies these arts from the martial prowess they can teach. large part art of it... are rainbow warriors attempting to culturally appropriate Han culture...

I'm not a Tajiquan practioner... but I have an astute eye for the practical and martial prowess... I see massive capabilities in all three Taijiquan styles

I'm in the Tung Ying Chieh Lineage...which is where Dong style comes from. My Yang Shifu was a student of Tung Ying Chieh

And this is a very old post of mine

Latest Discussions