Snowed in.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
:lfao: Man this is a funny thread! Sorry, I do know how much it stinks when you are not prepared for ice and snow. But it is just so darn funny what a difference there is in the different areas of the country. We were happy today because it got to +3F today and we only got 2 or 3 inches of the white stuff. It was supposed to stay below 0 and be wicked windy, but we had +3 and semi-windy so the wind chill was only -23F and that makes the ice on the roads semi-sticky so it was good driving. (you who live in the cold know what I mean, the rest have to take my word on this - ice gets sticky to drive on when it gets COLD.)

I do feel bad for those who are not used to the colder temps, it is miserable to be cold. No matter if it is 40 above when you feel cold or -40 before you feel cold, it plain sucks out load. I remember living in the Dallas area and seeing snow in the air and almost the same instant hearing on the radio all the schools were closed. IN THE AIR! not even sticking to the ground. I almost passed out being from Michigan's sunset coast (Ludington area, right on Lake Michigan.)

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
:lfao:
I do feel bad for those who are not used to the colder temps, it is miserable to be cold. No matter if it is 40 above when you feel cold or -40 before you feel cold, it plain sucks out load. I remember living in the Dallas area and seeing snow in the air and almost the same instant hearing on the radio all the schools were closed. IN THE AIR! not even sticking to the ground. I almost passed out being from Michigan's sunset coast (Ludington area, right on Lake Michigan.)

I lived about 20 miles from a beach in South Carolina from the ages of 6- 10 years old. It rarely got colder than 40 in the dead of winter! One day, I hear that they closed the school early because of snow. I was born in another part of West Virginia, so I wasn't a complete stranger to snow. Imagine my surprise when I headed out the doors to go to my bus and all I saw was flurries. I was probably about 9 at the time, and the first thing I said was, "they're closing for flurries?" Of course, if the schools aren't prepared for such weather, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can heap abuse on the likes of me all you like, Lisa, I'm used to it... all the years I lived on the BC coast, people from the Peace River and the Okanagan used to mock us, let along Calgarians and Edmontonians (and the odd person from Winnepeg, including my aunt!) and tell us what... mmmm, whimps we were, I think was the word... so I don't expect anything different... :wink1:

:D

It's all her fault anyway .... ;)

Absolutely! I am all powerful! The wind, the rain, the snow, they are at my beckon call and do as I wish. :whip1:

She's probably the one that made the jetstream move.

See above. :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
:lfao: Man this is a funny thread! Sorry, I do know how much it stinks when you are not prepared for ice and snow. But it is just so darn funny what a difference there is in the different areas of the country. We were happy today because it got to +3F today and we only got 2 or 3 inches of the white stuff. It was supposed to stay below 0 and be wicked windy, but we had +3 and semi-windy so the wind chill was only -23F and that makes the ice on the roads semi-sticky so it was good driving. (you who live in the cold know what I mean, the rest have to take my word on this - ice gets sticky to drive on when it gets COLD.)

Also sorry but :lfao: I have to agree, pretty darn funny thread so far...

Try upstate NY in the Adirondacks... NOW you’re talking snow and I came from Massachusetts to here.

We have got almost none this year, which to be honest is just a little bit scary, and it has been WAY to warm so far but the last couple of days it has at least been cold like it is suppose to be.

I will never forget my first winter here the end of January was a snow storm that dropped about 2 feet (we already had a foot) and the first of February was an ice storm that left about an inch of ice on top of about 2 to 2.5 feet of snow and then the temp hovered around 0 for a month. I went snow showing in the Middle of the Adirondacks that year fell over and had to cut a 6 foot limb just to touch ground to stand up, now that's some snow, Montana, the Dakotas, Wisconsin and Canada ain't got nothing on this place in a normal winter. And there is a type of ice here that forms on your Windows I have NEVER seen anyplace else. You can't get rid of it, scrap, move the car, refreeze, scrap, move the car, refreeze. You can't move until your windshields warm so it will not refreeze, to much moisture in the air I guess.

But it is all relative, I just finished talking to a friend of mine who asked me if all winters here were as warm as the last few days (between 0 and 28 degrees) He is from WAY North China and he said the average winter temperature there is -20 degree Celsius = -4 degree Fahrenheit

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's snowed (in the past) by now at least 4 inches. I have a bad feeling that this might mean a blizzard in March! It's happened before.

kempo-vjj

Orange Belt
Reaction score
yeah it's a little funny to watch those who normally do not get those kinda storms and the hell that breaks loose on the roads. Here in Oklahoma City we got 4-5 inches of sleet. To the east it rained then froze. Tree limbs with say as big as your pinky finger has a silver dollar size diameter of frozen water around it. Sleet packs down quicker and easier than snow. I have not seen the black of my street in a week it all white and slick. A girl on the news was ice skating on the grass in her front yard. It's the combination of north artic front mixed with sounthern gulf moisture. And now 5-10 inches odf snow this weekend. If I'm getting 5 inches go ahead for the full 10.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is hard for us who are used to it to fathom that a little snow could slow you down let alone stop you in your tracks but we have the equipment (snow plows, etc) at the ready to open up our roads. Its all in what you are used to.

Bigshadow....I think I would take cold over a hurricane, those things scare the bejesus out of me.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What got me was the freezing part.

We just had an ice storm hit here and driving in it was freaking scary. I'll take a foot of snow over a half-inch of ice any day.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow....I think I would take cold over a hurricane, those things scare the bejesus out of me.

Well it may be where I am at in Florida, but they always seem to miss us in this area, they always go around us. Relative to the size of Florida there it really is a small amount of people affected.

To me they aren't really scary, but then again I don't live in South Florida :D They came close a few times, but wind speed never got over about 50mph.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is just so wrong....I am in northern VA....barely cold enough for a jacket....and in San Antonio....my company has closed our site there for the last two days cause of ice....wrong...this is all just wrong.....

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am hoping for more snow!
icon10.gif
We wild men of the north
want more cold and white stuff to take our classes out
rolling in it next week! :viking1:

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well we've had a lot melt in the last eight hours - I actually got to the store!! Getting out was NICE!! Main roads are decent, neighborhood roads are slush. Supposed to freeze again, but that won't be too bad unless we get more precipitation.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Be careful Geo. Up here in the North Country where I work, the daily moisture in the air is frequently all glazed over by Midnight. Even on days when the road should be dry, there are nasty patches of black ice.

Drive safely and remember in a skid, to always point your wheels in the direction that you are skidding in. As counterintuitive as it is, it works. ;)

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is just so wrong....I am in northern VA....barely cold enough for a jacket....and in San Antonio....my company has closed our site there for the last two days cause of ice....wrong...this is all just wrong.....

Well, I don't know exactly where in Va. you are, but it was about 35 where I live. Still not that "winter" temperature, yet.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A few of the bigger problems in my area because people aren't used to the snow...
The 4 inches of snow that fell Tuesday had scarcely begun to settle when a 9-year-old girl, being towed on an inflatable raft by her father's pickup, crashed into a brick bench outside Thomas Jefferson Middle School.

Madison Gecho suffered head and chest injuries and died at Legacy Emanuel Hospital in Portland. Her father, Peter Gecho, faces possible criminal charges as he grieves for his daughter.
Earlier that day, 14-year-old Ryan Greenen of Vancouver suffered serious head injuries when he sledded into the path of a minivan on Southeast Evergreen Highway. Also Tuesday, 11-year-old Trevor Still of Battle Ground suffered a punctured spleen when he crashed into a parked Ford Excursion while being pulled on a sled by an all-terrain vehicle driven by his older brother.
FULL ARTICLE

I love the snow ... I just don't like what happens in it when people don't think things through.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love the snow ... I just don't like what happens in it when people don't think things through.

People around here are used to the snow... but just as stupid; happily, the ones I saw were luckier - I was out shoveling my sidewalk and driveway last weekend when this guy came by driving an SUV and stopped on my corner, so that his kids (who looked to be perhaps 10 and 14) could switch places on the innertube he was towing behind his car.

Latest Discussions