Smurfing

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
good video. Some of those comments that were made at the end remind me of stuff I've heard Sifu's say about not using belts. Some of them made the assumption that white belt would perform at a white belt level. Normally that would be the case, but a person can be a beginner in one style and an expert in another. I know this was a prank but I wonder if someone was able to pick up that he actually knew more than what he was showing before they got on the grounds. Things like hand grip and power are difficult for an skill fighter to hide. Fighters like that tend to have "subtle power" that can be felt even when they aren't trying to over power. Sort of like a person's strong hand shake where you can tell there's strength in their hands even though he/she isn't crushing your hand. Conditioned hands, grips, and body, should have been a red flag that things may not be what they seem.

I think an experience like this would be good to for anyone that has a belted system. It's a good way to get the focused off of "what the belt represents" and back on the focus of training. "When you guys train... black belt, white belt, same mentality."

OP
K

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
All of the drills it showed him doing before the rolling, he was intentionally doing very poorly. He did a good job of acting clumsy until he sat down with that first purple belt. That's why you got that stunned/bewildered face from him.

I agree and disagree with the final point. Sometimes folks give up position to intentionally fight from the inferior position for practice.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree and disagree with the final point. Sometimes folks give up position to intentionally fight from the inferior position for practice.

When I did rapier combat against someone with significantly less skill or experience, I'd often use a dagger instead of a sword. It's good practice, and a good even match is more fun than one that is unbalanced.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The best part of that vid is when they asked the instructor where that guy had trained at, and their instructor said that he had practiced Kung Fu for a couple of years. The look on their faces was priceless.

That open guard sweep at 2:22 was pretty slick too. When he pulled that, a lot of guys knew he was no ordinary white belt.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
All of the drills it showed him doing before the rolling, he was intentionally doing very poorly. He did a good job of acting clumsy until he sat down with that first purple belt. That's why you got that stunned/bewildered face from him.

Yeah, agreed. I don't think there's anything wrong with giving a lower rank, especially a white belt/beginner superior position in a roll. Now clearly, if they're an advanced grappler, you can go ahead and fire on all cylinders. However, you really shouldn't go out of your way to obliterate a white belt or a lower blue belt as a purple or above. That's a sure fire way to make sure that person never comes back.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

When I roll with a white or blue belt, I usually have them start mounted or in some other dominant position on top of me.