Siu Lim Tau Comparison

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because I have things to do that are more important than searching the internet for footage, like my job, or talking to my family? When I have time, if you are still unable to google one of the many video clips containing PB, then I will supply you with one, free of charge. Good luck

I feel you might succeed given the frequency of PB vids and the relative frequency of punching in those clips

Of course this is not the case for gate punches, cutting punches and excluding punches, all of which (despite being WC 101) are exceedingly difficult to pin down
So, if they randomly open any given video of PB, they will quickly find exactly that technique, and it will be obviously that technique, not some similar technique?

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Correct.

For TWC we see that the idea is not universal. Shouldn't be a problem because TWC claims to be different, doesn't it?

No idea why those from non YM systems would even care if they are different, if indeed they are, which is proving impossible to find out.

This is some twisted logic. Things can be different without being different in a global sense. Simply because TWC allows for you to move yourself to the blind side doesn't mean that the elbow is not used in a tactical manner beyond simply being the focus of forwarding energy. The problem is you NEED this to not be the case otherwise your premise is wrong. In essence you are told "we do something very similar to what you describe BUT we also do this thing which is different" but by putting your hands over your ears and saying "lalalalala I can't hear you" all you hear is "...we....do this thing which is different" and so you have your "gotcha" moment

Next you ignore the point that YM didn't study YM WC, he refined from other another Lineage(s) so even those who do not study YM WC directly have something to contribute because we are at a minimum cousins and whether you want to acknowledge it or not there are similarities between all of them, along side the differences because in the end they are Wing Chun

OP
N

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Because I have things to do that are more important than searching the internet for footage, like my job, or talking to my family? When I have time, if you are still unable to google one of the many video clips containing PB, then I will supply you with one, free of charge. Good luck

I feel you might succeed given the frequency of PB vids and the relative frequency of punching in those clips

Of course this is not the case for gate punches, cutting punches and excluding punches, all of which (despite being WC 101) are exceedingly difficult to pin down
Whatever, you just refuse to do so. I explained it clearly, as have others. For the last time it is just a punch that utilizes the Lin Siu Dai Da principle. If you can't comprehend that I don't know what else to tell you.

OP
N

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lol, direct contradiction much?
Please show me the quote where I say that YCW WC contains everything that WSL VT does. I could care less if my WC is same or different. You seem to be the one fixated on pointing out differences. You remind me of Hendrix Santos, always making claims, putting others down & never proving anything.

Last edited:
OP
N

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You don't provide video, that's the point.
Nice deflection. When have you ever posted video of yourself? Not once on this forum or on the Kung Fu Magazine forum. Yet you have no problems criiticizing someone else. Pretty hypocritical IMO. It's easy to post videos of your idols and speak for them. How about you man up and do as you always ask others to do?

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whatever, you just refuse to do so. I explained it clearly, as have others. For the last time it is just a punch that utilizes the Lin Siu Dai Da principle. If you can't comprehend that I don't know what else to tell you.

So based on the exchanges here let me see if I understand the argument from his perspective.
1. Focus only on the portions of statements that can used to say "different" and/or broken.
2. Demand evidence, including video from others, so they can use similar out of context cherry picking, to agains be able to say "different and/or broken."
3. Say they have better things to do than return the favor they demanded of others.

OP
N

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So, if they randomly open any given video of PB, they will quickly find exactly that technique, and it will be obviously that technique, not some similar technique?
He's hoping someone will point it out for him because he admittedly doesn't know.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
He's hoping someone will point it out for him because he admittedly doesn't know.

Tbh this is an issue with anyone who gets trapped in dogma too much. Think of the person who learned all they know about their faith simply by going to Church every Sunday vs the person who used critical thinking in the study of theology. They can say the prayers accurately and precisely without any thought. However ask them to describe the detailed structure of a specific prayer or its place in the evolution of your faith and they couldn't tell you.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are so full of BS. My video is on this very thread. Where is your video?????
yeah when I saw that response I was like "is he really that out of options"

Reactions: KPM

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
LFJ helped me remember that I did indeed have it on video. But Guy and LFJ say "no that's not what we do." When requested to provide a comparison video of PB showing what they do, the request is refused.

I wasn't talking about any specific technique. You came on with the "excluding punch".

The "cutting" or "excluding" punch! Geez! Aren't you paying attention!!!????

If you're talking about what you do in your video, I don't do that.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score

I don't know what technique they're talking about. I was only ever discussing the elbow idea in SNT, which is not a technique per se. KPM brought up a punch technique, and all I'm saying is that I don't see any elbow idea in it.

Nobody Important says he has seen PB do a "gate punch". I'm not even sure what that is. If he could just post the PB video we could have a look and continue the discussion smoothly.

From his description, it sounds like a straight punch but with the body coming in on an angle. But then he says it is performed the same from inside or outside gate. If you look at the first clip on the Cutting Punch thread, you will see them having to change the way the punch is done to deal with the arm from either side. If it doesn't change, it won't wedge the guy's arm out. So, if NI's punch is the same, he'll have to show video, photo, or something of it to make it clear.

Last edited:
OP
N

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
From his description, it sounds like a straight punch but with the body coming in on an angle. But then he says it is performed the same from inside or outside gate. If you look at the first clip on the Cutting Punch thread, you will see them having to change the way the punch is done to deal with the arm from either side. If it doesn't change, it won't wedge the guy's arm out.
You just described it. For the tenth time it's just a straight punch, elbow does not flare, body rotation allows for the angle that creates the wedge, strike is to center. It uses the concept of Lin Siu Dai Da via the punch itself. If it is above their forearm it is outer gate, below it is inner gate. Its the same concept as in the videos you presented. You asked if it was my gate punch I said no, because, they are:
1. Chasing the arm
2. Flaring elbows
3. Not rotating
Gate punching in YCW WC is not deliberate in the sense that you actively try to make it happen. There is no focus on attacking the arm to simultaneously punch the opponent, it is simply punch, if it happens it happens because of proper form and structure.

I find it hard to believe that you post pictures from a book written by Bruce Lee, who learned mostly from Wong Sheung Leung and claim not to know this basic punching method. Since it is a method employed by various Wing Chun branches, both Yip Man and Non-Yip Man, its logical to to assume this isn't a made up Bruce Lee thing. So that leaves the questions, did Bruce Lee learn it from Yip Man or Wong Sheung Leung? If from Yip Man why didn't Wong Sheung Leung learn it? If he learned it from Wong Sheung Leung why was Bruce the only one to learn it. Or is it more likely you simply call it by a different name?

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
You just described it. For the tenth time it's just a straight punch, elbow does not flare, body rotation allows for the angle that creates the wedge, strike is to center. It uses the concept of Lin Siu Dai Da via the punch itself. If it is above their forearm it is outer gate, below it is inner gate. Its the same concept as in the videos you presented. You asked if it was my gate punch I said no, because, they are:
1. Chasing the arm
2. Flaring elbows
3. Not rotating
Gate punching in YCW WC is not deliberate in the sense that you actively try to make it happen. There is no focus on attacking the arm to simultaneously punch the opponent, it is simply punch, if it happens it happens because of proper form and structure.

I find it hard to believe that you post pictures from a book written by Bruce Lee, who learned mostly from Wong Sheung Leung and claim not to know this basic punching method. Since it is a method employed by various Wing Chun branches, both Yip Man and Non-Yip Man, its logical to to assume this isn't a made up Bruce Lee thing. So that leaves the questions, did Bruce Lee learn it from Yip Man or Wong Sheung Leung? If from Yip Man why didn't Wong Sheung Leung learn it? If he learned it from Wong Sheung Leung why was Bruce the only one to learn it. Or is it more likely you simply call it by a different name?
You beat me to the punch (pun intended) and I will end it there because anything else is redundant.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since you have finally come to the Cutting Punch thread, why don't we keep it over there in one neat place then...

Latest Discussions