Siu Lim Tau Comparison

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
The elbow is down and in and driving the motion. It is not "wrist-led" because the wrist is already past the point of contact.

Wasn't talking about elbow force. It's wrist-led in that it is cutting with the forearm from an outside angle and the elbow is following wrist.

There most certainly is an "elbow idea" here. You think you can "see" an idea so easily on a video clip????

Yes. I can see that it's not in your action.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our gate punching is offense & defense in one punch. It is no different than the regular punch, just the idea of how it can be used is different. There is no up or down motion prior to it's use, pressure is forward & to center, using footwork to angle will remove you from line of their attack but isn't necessary for it's application.

I believe KPM was referring to the same thing, I could be wrong. If so I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Yep! Exactly! :)

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok. Then you should see at 3:19 that my elbow is down and in and driving the punch....not the wrist.

Rear wheels can drive a car, but the front wheels steer it.

Your punch is wrist-led as you shift your weight from one side of your triangle to the other and send a straight punch down that line following the wrist.

OP
N

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
He does have a clip. Must have forgotten.

It's at 3:15 here from his paak-sau drill. What he calls the "excluding punch".

As with the video I posted on the Cutting Punch thread, there is no elbow idea here. It's wrist-led and cutting diagonally across the line with the forearm. Same as his "paak-sau touch & go" being wrist-led, as most lineages do jam-sau from the wrist.

I stand corrected, at 3:17 KPM does the outer gate punch. It's not how I would do it but it is the concept. I would not intentionally try to do it this way as I feel that the focus is being placed on intercepting the arm as compared to striking the opponent. I would rather it happen spontaneously. None the less that is it and it is elbow driven.

Reactions: KPM

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wasn't talking about elbow force. It's wrist-led in that it is cutting with the forearm from an outside angle and the elbow is following wrist.

Yes. I can see that it's not in your action.

So please explain to me how you throw a punch without the wrist being in front and the elbow following it???? What are you "not" seeing in my video at 3:19? My elbow is down and in and driving the punch forward so that the partner's punch is deflected by my forearm as my punch goes towards him. How would you do it?

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought it was universal WC101? :confused:

Instead of driving with the elbow and steering with the wrist, we do both from the elbow.

Have a look at SNT. If the little idea is not there, I don't know what to tell you.

OP
N

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I thought it was universal WC101? :confused:

Instead of driving with the elbow and steering with the wrist, we do both from the elbow.

Have a look at SNT. If the little idea is not there, I don't know what to tell you.
Is that because PB is missing a wrist?

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So please explain to me how you throw a punch without the wrist being in front and the elbow following it???? What are you "not" seeing in my video at 3:19? My elbow is down and in and driving the punch forward so that the partner's punch is deflected by my forearm as my punch goes towards him. How would you do it?

Punch with the elbow, below elbow is irrelevant

OP
N

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's because that's what YM taught.
I don't see how you describe it as valid. If you want to get technical the movement starts in the shoulder, is aligned by the elbow and directed by the wrist. The three points create a triangle. The pressure of all 3 joints is forward. Shoulder in socket, elbow down and wrist on center line. The fist is held vertical to allow proper alignment of radius & ulna to support impact.

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't see how you describe it as valid. If you want to get technical the movement starts in the shoulder, is aligned by the elbow and directed by the wrist. The three points create a triangle. The pressure of all 3 joints is forward. Shoulder in socket, elbow down and wrist on center line. The fist is held vertical to allow proper alignment of radius & ulna to support impact.

YKS and YC SNT forms posted show elbow rising

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score

Okay. Is your gate punch as in the photo on the Cutting Punch thread?

Again, don't know why that thread is being avoided. Didn't you ask the conversation to be moved there?

OP
N

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not really. Your confusion over KPM's clip hasn't helped make it any clearer. Visuals don't lie
What confusion I simply didn't see it first time around. Please post your example of elbow punching so we can all see how it is properly done.

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sorry Alan. But you misinterpreted what I was doing. Watch the clip again. The whole clip. The excluding or cutting punch does not have a Pak Sao before the punch.

Got it and good to know. Thought it might have been a difference but seeing it right at the 3:15 mark.

OP
N

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay. Is your gate punch as in the photo on the Cutting Punch thread?

Again, don't know why that thread is being avoided. Didn't you ask the conversation to be moved there?
Instead of being vague and to avoid any further confusion, why don't you post a video of yourself doing it correctly?

Latest Discussions