Sipjin?

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Found this on the KKW website today. Is this a typo or did they eliminate Sipjin from rank requirements? it shows up as you need to know it for 6th dan but it's not compulsory elsewhere? This doesn't make sense to me. What am I missing?
1662233389913.png

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's an error. That chart lists forms according to the rank you test for after learning that compulsory form. Which makes no sense, really, because that means you can test for 10th Dan after learning Illyo. But no such test exists. The Kukkiwon 10th Dan is an honorary rank, almost always awarded post-mortem. So obviously there is no compulsory form.

Whoever wrote it switched from "what rank do you test for after learning this form" to "what rank do you need to hold before you learn this form" at 6th Dan.

In our branch of the MDK, we fixed this confusion by shifting the forms down a notch. You learn Koryo to get your 1st Dan, and so forth. So basically, if you have a Dan rank from our system, you have already passed the KKW test for one rank higher.

OP
J. Pickard

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It's an error. That chart lists forms according to the rank you test for after learning that compulsory form. Which makes no sense, really, because that means you can test for 10th Dan after learning Illyo. But no such test exists. The Kukkiwon 10th Dan is an honorary rank, almost always awarded post-mortem. So obviously there is no compulsory form.

Whoever wrote it switched from "what rank do you test for after learning this form" to "what rank do you need to hold before you learn this form" at 6th Dan.

In our branch of the MDK, we fixed this confusion by shifting the forms down a notch. You learn Koryo to get your 1st Dan, and so forth. So basically, if you have a Dan rank from our system, you have already passed the KKW test for one rank higher.
We do the same and I remember testing Koryo for my 1st Dan kukkiwon(I was training under Ed Sell at the time so I tested CDK and Kukkiwon at the same time) but that was back in 2005 so I didnt know if it was changed.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We do the same and I remember testing Koryo for my 1st Dan kukkiwon(I was training under Ed Sell at the time so I tested CDK and Kukkiwon at the same time) but that was back in 2005 so I didnt know if it was changed.
I think it's a fairly common adjustment. Honestly, I think it makes more sense anyway, given how testing is structured.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Found this on the KKW website today. Is this a typo or did they eliminate Sipjin from rank requirements? it shows up as you need to know it for 6th dan but it's not compulsory elsewhere? This doesn't make sense to me. What am I missing?
View attachment 28850
Sir it's not a typo. Sipjin is not a required form for any Kukkiwon dan rank test, but when you test, under current Kukkiwon regulations, you must perform a minimum of two forms for each dan rannk and one of those forms for 6th, 7th and 8th dan could be Sipjin. That info is also on the current Kukkiwon Poom-Dan Promotion Test Examiner Course Textbook and the Kukkiwon International Taekwondo Master Course Textbook.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sipjin is not a required form for any Kukkiwon dan rank test
Sorry, this is incorrect. As of the 13th of September 2022 Kukkiwon announced the latest version of the requirements for 6th and 7th Dan Kukkiwon tests:

Those are the two relevant pages, the first one (not above) is a title sheet and the fourth one (not above) covers how they notify you of pass/failure and internal process at Kukkiwon.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
We recently (last month) switched our requirements to be inline with Kukkiwon and Changmookwan HQ requirements - so Taegeuk Pal Jang is used to test for 1st Dan, Koryo for 2nd Dan, etc. But we definitely used to do as you do.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We recently (last month) switched our requirements to be inline with Kukkiwon and Changmookwan HQ requirements - so Taegeuk Pal Jang is used to test for 1st Dan, Koryo for 2nd Dan, etc. But we definitely used to do as you do.
Just to be clear, I'm not saying that the way we do things is The Way. Just that it works for us. Personally, I think if a teacher wants to take a couple forms from Palgwae, a couple from Chang Hon, a couple from Taegeuk, a couple from Pinan and mix them all together, fine. Whatever works for you. As I have said before, I think that if the KKW really wants to assimilate all of TKD (cue the Borg music), one step would be to allow diversity, rather than trying to codify an unenforceable curriculum for the entire world.

Latest Discussions