Sil Lum Kung Fu

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody here studies Sil Lum Kung Fu (Cantonese for shaolin);five animals of: tiger, crane, snake, leopard, & dragon? Not referring to Shaolin Do. This is the style I study. If you study it why do you like it better than any other style?

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody here studies Sil Lum Kung Fu (Cantonese for shaolin);five animals of: tiger, crane, snake, leopard, & dragon? Not referring to Shaolin Do. This is the style I study. If you study it why do you like it better than any other style?

I trained it for about 2 years when I lived in Northeast Tennessee at one of Rick Ward's schools. Now I train SPM in the Chicago area.

Mei Hua

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Bei Shaolin Honan Mei Hua Chuan, 20 years.

Why? It's far more practical than many other MA's I've seen and I've trained in a variety of styles. Plus our system is extremely rare, I run the only other school outside of the main school in the world, so to pass it on and keep it alive is an honor.

xiongnu_luohan

White Belt
Reaction score

In the past I did the northern shaolin system of gu ruzhang - that's the one with the ten hand sets( koy moon, moi-i, lien wan, sik fot, duan da, bot bo, chum sam etc.). That style may have the five animals in it somewhere but I've never heard of it described as a northern 5-animal system.

The thing is that "northern shaolin" is really a category of styles that includes gu ruzhang's style, the songshan curriculum, hua quan( a shaolin version of an older style called hua shan pai ) and even the luohan style. I have heard of shaolin styles that are described as "northern 5-animal" but that's not the type of shaolin that I did.

There's a lot of different shaolin/sil lum styles out there. Chinese martial arts are vast and deep. I hope that helps. But if you want to tell us a little about your style that's good too.

Taijiman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've done shaolin basics and conditioning... and a mizong quan form (not sure how Shaolin related it is :p). That's about it though.

OP
JadeDragon3

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well hello Mei. It's me, your DL buddy. Your everywhere aren't you? Lets go get a Guiness Drought or a Tsing Tao?