Pai Lum

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Pai Lum is only a name....now quit bothering me and go train :uhyeah:

But with that said, I tend to research a lot of CMA styles and the ones I train even more, so, as already stated, do the research. And as a bit of advice when it comes to researching CMA styles.... don't ever believe the first 2 or 3 things you find...unless they agree 100%. And you may find that you simply cannot find out the whole truth. And always, ALWAYS, ALWAYS go with Chinese characters over any Romanization

As I discovered, you very rarely find the whole truth when it comes to CMAs (probably because the Chinese have an annoying habit of trying to destroy their entire culture every few hundred years).

Y.K. Hoh

White Belt
Reaction score
Over the years in researching my style I have seen this post many times. For what ever reason it seems that no one has ever cleared this up. So I finally decided to put my 2 cents in. As a long time student of Pai Lum this is my understanding of the name Garandmaster Pai gave his style. Anyone can look this up. In naming the style all Grandmaster Pai was doing is paying respect to his Chinese and Hawaiian Family linage. The word Pai as a Sir name (Or family name) in Chinese means WHITE. The word Lum as a Sir name (Or family name) in Hawaiian means DRAGON. So there you have it, Pai Lum/White Dragon. It was just Grandmasters way of paying respect to his two families. Grandmaster Pai was very smart and wise, not too complicated.
Thanks

This post reminded me of a conversation I had years ago with a Canadian Bak Mei practitioner who told me that he knew Daniel Pai and is the person who suggested the name to him. "Lum" as in Siu Lahm and mouh lahm seems to have been the inspiration for the second element. So, nothing to do with the mythical lung creature but a reference to a "forest" or congregation. It is a curious construction and it might seem that kyuhn or mun might be expected today to reference a system. But here's my explanation: neither of them spoke Chinese.