Sidekick/hook kick/punch combo setup

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Went to a small local tournament yesterday got a great shot at Jacob's setup for one of his attacks. Thought yall might find it interesting. With this setup he will throw either a sidekick, hook kick, or punch combo.

First...Starting out of range. He will take a step toward the inside of his opponent to give himself a better angle and take a skip forward to see his reaction and get into range
Screenshot_20211010-092908_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211010-092930_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211010-093034_Gallery.jpg

As he gets into his range he will read his opponents reaction and decide if he is going to throw one of the kicks or the punch combo. His opponents head and weight is back so he will throw one of the kicks

Screenshot_20211010-093103_Gallery.jpg

He slides his back foot forward and as he chambers the kick he will decide if he is throwing the side kick to the body or hook kick to the head. Screenshot_20211010-093323_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211010-093356_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211010-093501_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211010-093529_Gallery.jpg

And then he bring his leg back on the same line it went out on.

Screenshot_20211010-093625_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211010-110035_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211010-110142_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211010-093723_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211010-093758_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I always like seeing his progress thanks for sharing the play by play by play screenshots.

His opponent should have kept his guard lower or lower his stance. At one point he's standing so straight that his ankles look as if they are about to touch.

Jacob did a good job in exploiting that.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always like seeing his progress thanks for sharing the play by play by play screenshots.

His opponent should have kept his guard lower or lower his stance. At one point he's standing so straight that his ankles look as if they are about to touch.

Jacob did a good job in exploiting that.

Jake is really good at circling you and he can circle fast. As he turns you it's easy to get your feet close together...he fights southpaw so he can make you work to keep his front foot from getting behind you.

He likes working to get his front foot outside your front foot where he is a little behind your front shoulder and then attacking...then he will change direction and come right down the pipe with that setup.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Went to a small local tournament yesterday got a great shot at Jacob's setup for one of his attacks. Thought yall might find it interesting. With this setup he will throw either a sidekick, hook kick, or punch combo.

First...Starting out of range. He will take a step toward the inside of his opponent to give himself a better angle and take a skip forward to see his reaction and get into range
View attachment 27387

View attachment 27389
View attachment 27390

As he gets into his range he will read his opponents reaction and decide if he is going to throw one of the kicks or the punch combo. His opponents head and weight is back so he will throw one of the kicks

View attachment 27391

He slides his back foot forward and as he chambers the kick he will decide if he is throwing the side kick to the body or hook kick to the head. View attachment 27392
View attachment 27393
View attachment 27394
View attachment 27395

View attachment 27396
View attachment 27397
View attachment 27398

View attachment 27400
View attachment 27401
Great work!! Excellent job of thinking through the action.

Great camera work as well!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

View attachment 27387

View attachment 27389
View attachment 27390

View attachment 27391

He slides his back foot forward and as he chambers the kick he will decide if he is throwing the side kick to the body or hook kick to the head. View attachment 27392
View attachment 27393
View attachment 27394
View attachment 27395

View attachment 27396
View attachment 27397
View attachment 27398

View attachment 27400
View attachment 27401
1633912358520.jpeg
1633912358520.jpeg

1633912429458.jpeg

I used to throw that very same thing.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Cool.

So it is Buka approved...lol.

That is his go to move until he figures his opponent out and sees where their openings are going to be.

After matches, it is fun to listen to him break down what he was seeing during the match and how he adjusted to it.

He is starting to get pretty good at analyzing opponents. During matches, you can see it in his body language once he figures them out. He just relaxes and picks them apart.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Cool.

So it is Buka approved...lol.

That is his go to move until he figures his opponent out and sees where their openings are going to be.

After matches, it is fun to listen to him break down what he was seeing during the match and how he adjusted to it.

He is starting to get pretty good at analyzing opponents. During matches, you can see it in his body language once he figures them out. He just relaxes and picks them apart.
It's really enjoyable watching him compete, to watch how he's progressing, to watch him move in general. He's one hell of a Karate young man.

When I competed as a young man every time I fought someone his coach/sensei would yell "watch his feet, watch his feet!" because I was able to score with show offy kicks. But throughout my career I scored about eighty percent of strikes with my hands, both in points and in kickboxing.

I'll bet they're worrying about his kicks. And I so love seeing that. Gonna be fun following his progress. Thanks for letting us.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Any chance you could break this down just a bit more for us simple minded folk? (thats me if you weren't sure...)
As I am reading this and coordinating with the pictures... if we start in the first picture... when you say that "he will take a step toward the inside of his opponent" are you meaning that his back foot, or left foot is taking that first step? No distance closing yet, just getting off axis from his opponent?

You then say that he "skips forward"... I take this to mean after he gets off axis, he skips, right leg lead, towards his opponent, closing distance? And then is initial read (this time he is back on his heels, so kick) is taken during that skip forwards?

Just want to make sure that I am interpreting the pictures and descriptions correctly. Thanks.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any chance you could break this down just a bit more for us simple minded folk? (thats me if you weren't sure...)

As I am reading this and coordinating with the pictures... if we start in the first picture... when you say that "he will take a step toward the inside of his opponent" are you meaning that his back foot, or left foot is taking that first step? No distance closing yet, just getting off axis from his opponent?

You then say that he "skips forward"... I take this to mean after he gets off axis, he skips, right leg lead, towards his opponent, closing distance? And then is initial read (this time he is back on his heels, so kick) is taken during that skip forwards?

Just want to make sure that I am interpreting the pictures and descriptions correctly. Thanks.

Yes...first step off axis with his rear leg then a quick skip toward opponent and then another skip as he chambers.

the second skip his rear foot basically replaces where his front foot was as he chambers the kick.

cane56

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes, because the opponent is either too far away or will back up. The skipping method that you're talking about closes the gap and actually let you chamber the kick to make it even harder. Another way of doing this and this is something you can practice. Toss the rear leg up, and I jumping motion. This momentum will give you height. Then turn what now is the back leg and rotate over the hip into a sidekick. Even though your feet are off the ground this over rotation of the hip causes a very devastating kick. And also can be used to close the gap.

Latest Discussions