Should I try boxing?

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Boxing is excellent for sweating and getting in shape. It's also good, to a point, for self-defense. But a good martial artist can take out a boxer, using his legs for kicks. .....
Most "martial artists" have never been in a real fight. Most boxers have. THAT will tell the tale more often than not.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Bro you can do boxing all you want there’s no age limit.

when you get there they gonna teach you the basic like jabs uppercuts punch and the footwork you gonna do the bag 1st

then after a couple months they gonna make you spare they’re not gonna hit ya hard cause your new

OP
S

Silveredge

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello again! I did a boxing session in a gym (a friend of mine actually told me to try this place and i really loved although i feel it's kinda.. dunnno.. slightly weird? i'm not sure how it should be called.. there's a huge football club in my country and they have actually all kind of sports so i went to the boxing club. Well.. it was a nice place, the coach was surprisingly calm and polite and the price is average. But most of the guys there (no girls anywhere) look way too brute. Two of them were kind, we even had a handshake but a guy in particular.. i felt a menacing look towards me. I was punching the bag all alone, i had the very interesting convnersation "oh you use ur left hand, that's odd" and the guys were sparing like they wanted to demolish their oponent. I suppose i need some time to aclimate but i felt unwanted?

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello again! I did a boxing session in a gym (a friend of mine actually told me to try this place and i really loved although i feel it's kinda.. dunnno.. slightly weird? i'm not sure how it should be called.. there's a huge football club in my country and they have actually all kind of sports so i went to the boxing club. Well.. it was a nice place, the coach was surprisingly calm and polite and the price is average. But most of the guys there (no girls anywhere) look way too brute. Two of them were kind, we even had a handshake but a guy in particular.. i felt a menacing look towards me. I was punching the bag all alone, i had the very interesting convnersation "oh you use ur left hand, that's odd" and the guys were sparing like they wanted to demolish their oponent. I suppose i need some time to aclimate but i felt unwanted?
You lack confidence.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd stick it out for a while. You'll get more comfortable with the place and the people there, and they'll get more comfortable with you.

The guys that were sparring that seemed to want to demolish.....they've probably been doing that with each other for some time. That happens in boxing gyms after being acquainted, then that usually calms down.

Hopefully, it will all be an enjoyable, learning experience. So for now, smile on the inside and keep those hands up, brother. :)

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most "martial artists" have never been in a real fight. Most boxers have. THAT will tell the tale more often than not.
Yes do boxing! As to this, I can't speak about other martial artists but I've been in a few 'real fights'.. I guess it depends on how you define real fight. To me it means getting attacked out in the world with nobody helping you..

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes do boxing! As to this, I can't speak about other martial artists but I've been in a few 'real fights'.. I guess it depends on how you define real fight. To me it means getting attacked out in the world with nobody helping you..

Most toughguys in the street aren't trained; so the fights should usually be easier. Fighting against equally trained opponents in the ring is the bigger challenge; with MMA being the highest.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most toughguys in the street aren't trained; so the fights should usually be easier. Fighting against equally trained opponents in the ring is the bigger challenge; with MMA being the highest.
The trouble is the x factor. Things in the real world never play out the way you expect. Something as simple as tripping over a curb can change the whole situation..

D

Deleted member 39746

Shouldnt hurt, i am overweight and have done boxing, and so long as you dont enagge in competiion long term health effects shouldnt be a issue.

You shouldnt be getting punched in the face enough to warrant "black eyes" being a problem. I mean you could make a mistake, but any minor bruise etc at the end result should re enforce you not doing it again, in a similar vein to how people bonk you slightly if you lean. (it does work)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Without training kicking and leg skills, the MA training is not complete. If you always train with both legs on the ground, you will never be able to develop single leg balance.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
The trouble is the x factor. Things in the real world never play out the way you expect. Something as simple as tripping over a curb can change the whole situation..

being a trained & experienced fighter, helps significantly over a non-fighting TMA guy; in all of that "x factor".

Latest Discussions