Should I try boxing?

Silveredge

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm 29, i'm doing functional training the past 2 years (with a break since covid virus resulted in gym lock down) and before that i used to run 6km / 3 to 4 times a week.
I'm well built but i would like to lose a couple of pounds but pretty much that. I always liked boxing and i was thinking of picking it up as a sport. However i am a doctor and i wouldnt like my patients to see my with black eyes. Besides that, am i too old for boxing? and in general, do just people just quit sports when they grow older? I dont wanna that. When u have an opponent in training what do u think about him? u want one of ur punches to hit him or u watch him as a friend with whom u're playing? i've had a couple or boxing classes but that was 1 year ago. Or maybe u have another sport to propose? thank u

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So to address your main concerns in order:
1. Boxing can help you lost weight depending on the gym. I can't guarantee that though, since I don't know what shape you're in, but I'm gathering you've already determined boxing can help in that regard.
2. You will very rarely get black eyes, or physical visible damage to your face. Particularly as a newcomer, people aren't going to be going full contact with you, so that's not something to worry about.
3. If you want to be a professional boxer, or even go for a golden glove or something similar, you're probably too old. Otherwise, you're pretty young.
4. People quit all the time, but there are plenty of people in their 30s, 40s, and 50s that continue to train martial arts/sport arts. From my own experience people tend to transition away from boxing and to things like karate, bjj or judo as they get past 40 or so, but it's not something that only teenagers do if that's your concern. No ones going to mind your age.
5. I typically view anyone I'm sparring as a friend I'm competing against (in the moment). That varies person-to-person, but no one's out for blood in class (if they are, talk to them/your coach, or switch gyms. They shouldn't be).
6. Do whatever sport you want. If you like boxing, go for it. If you find that you don't like it as much, judo, bjj and kickboxing are all fun (imo), but you can really do any. Only thing I'd watch out for is finger injuries with bjj/judo, if your specific focus as a doctor requires deft use of fingers.

OP
S

Silveredge

White Belt
Reaction score
So to address your main concerns in order:
1. Boxing can help you lost weight depending on the gym. I can't guarantee that though, since I don't know what shape you're in, but I'm gathering you've already determined boxing can help in that regard.
2. You will very rarely get black eyes, or physical visible damage to your face. Particularly as a newcomer, people aren't going to be going full contact with you, so that's not something to worry about.
3. If you want to be a professional boxer, or even go for a golden glove or something similar, you're probably too old. Otherwise, you're pretty young.
4. People quit all the time, but there are plenty of people in their 30s, 40s, and 50s that continue to train martial arts/sport arts. From my own experience people tend to transition away from boxing and to things like karate, bjj or judo as they get past 40 or so, but it's not something that only teenagers do if that's your concern. No ones going to mind your age.
5. I typically view anyone I'm sparring as a friend I'm competing against (in the moment). That varies person-to-person, but no one's out for blood in class (if they are, talk to them/your coach, or switch gyms. They shouldn't be).
6. Do whatever sport you want. If you like boxing, go for it. If you find that you don't like it as much, judo, bjj and kickboxing are all fun (imo), but you can really do any. Only thing I'd watch out for is finger injuries with bjj/judo, if your specific focus as a doctor requires deft use of fingers.
Thank u for ur reply. Functional training has helped me a lot. I would just want to have a "flat stomach" that's all. I'm not fat. And i know that just chaning some things on my diet would do the trick so I'm not believing that boxing has the magic secret. I just hope it will be as good as functioal and not just punching and leaving the rest of my body out. Functional taught me how to climb up a rope and i'm greatful.
2. I'm training to be a maxillofacial surgeon and the last time I sparred because i was the new kid on the block and didnt have mouth guard I would think all the time what kind of tooth or bone fructure i would get in secods. But that was jsut me be over dramatic.
3. No i dont wanna be a professional. Although it's a pity that there are no belts in boxing. It would give me a sesnse of progressing.
4. bjj is also available in my gym but it feels weird. I sweat too much, my opponent would hate me. I have thought of kickboxing though. I just hope these guys are not the assholes i'm scared to be.
5. One guy had that I spared, he told me "I won't go easy on u" and i got a bit scared.
6. Do u do any of these sports? Yeah i would like my fingers in place actually. And a silly question. Is learning box similar to self defence? Although if someone tried to attack me i would go for the throat, the thorax and his eyes, medically speaking. But i'm not a troublemaker.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank u for ur reply. Functional training has helped me a lot. I would just want to have a "flat stomach" that's all. I'm not fat. And i know that just chaning some things on my diet would do the trick so I'm not believing that boxing has the magic secret. I just hope it will be as good as functioal and not just punching and leaving the rest of my body out. Functional taught me how to climb up a rope and i'm greatful.
2. I'm training to be a maxillofacial surgeon and the last time I sparred because i was the new kid on the block and didnt have mouth guard I would think all the time what kind of tooth or bone fructure i would get in secods. But that was jsut me be over dramatic.
3. No i dont wanna be a professional. Although it's a pity that there are no belts in boxing. It would give me a sesnse of progressing.
4. bjj is also available in my gym but it feels weird. I sweat too much, my opponent would hate me. I have thought of kickboxing though. I just hope these guys are not the assholes i'm scared to be.
5. One guy had that I spared, he told me "I won't go easy on u" and i got a bit scared.
6. Do u do any of these sports? Yeah i would like my fingers in place actually. And a silly question. Is learning box similar to self defence? Although if someone tried to attack me i would go for the throat, the thorax and his eyes, medically speaking. But i'm not a troublemaker.
It makes sense given your training, but I wouldn't worry too much about a tooth or bone fracture. Full disclosure, I've broken the same tooth a couple times but that's mostly because it was already weak from the first (non martial arts related) break, and also I was pretty dumb.

People sweat, no one's going to hate you for it. And generally people that train aren't assholes. Idk why someone would tell you "I won't go easy on you", but if he wasn't joking, I wouldn't want to train with him again given that you were completely new.

I've at least dipped my toes (min 6 months) in all the sports recommended, although haven't competed in them. But I wouldn't just assume that you could go for the weak points. The thorax is tough to hit, people naturally guard their throat with their chin, and the eyes aren't always the easiest of targets either. On top of that, in order to be able to hit any weak points, you need to be able to hit them in general, and either not get hit or guard against hits against you at the same time. If you were to spar someone for instance, and are unable to land a solid punch on them, do you have confidence that when it matters you'd be able to not only land a solid punch, but land it at a very specific part of their anatomy? That's why training is important.

OP
S

Silveredge

White Belt
Reaction score
I would be so upset if i lost a tooth. But all of my friends are dentists haha
I hope they won't hate me cause maybe they will thing it's disgusting have my sweat on their face. And what about co wrestlers? Do they develop a bond or something? I would like to make some friends if possible (it would be an extra bonus, but if not it's okay). I feel like if u practice bjj and u are on the floor fighting it makes u ffeel closer to one another.

Well he punched hard, that's what i can tell. I was so tired after that sparing because i was constantly trying to defend myself and i felt a little stupid. Like he was more masculine that I was, dont know.

yeah i get what u're saying about weak points. there was a girl that we were sparring.. she would evade every punch haha. but it felt good punching. I'm also kinda worried of boxers dementia (drunk punch i think it's th slang term) but that would most possible refer to professionals i presume.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Apart from loosing teeth, which would suck. Another of your concerns are a bit over thought.

Just go do the thing.

So you might look silly, get man handled, get a black eye, sweat on someone or evenake friends.

The point of someone like boxing is to learn these are not all that important and that you are bigger than that.

Exept the friends. They are important.

OP
S

Silveredge

White Belt
Reaction score
Apart from loosing teeth, which would suck. Another of your concerns are a bit over thought.

Just go do the thing.

So you might look silly, get man handled, get a black eye, sweat on someone or evenake friends.

The point of someone like boxing is to learn these are not all that important and that you are bigger than that.

Exept the friends. They are important.
I get ur point.. but losing a tooth would cost 1000$ not to mention the trouble. Black eye does not concern me but maybe they wouldnt like a black eyed doctor, would they?

I dont know if it sounds stupid but boxing makes me feel sexy somehow. It makes me confident.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I get ur point.. but losing a tooth would cost 1000$ not to mention the trouble. Black eye does not concern me but maybe they wouldnt like a black eyed doctor, would they?

I dont know if it sounds stupid but boxing makes me feel sexy somehow. It makes me confident.

Then buy a good mouth guard.

I have done combat sports for a while. And honestly nobody really cares if any proffesional gets a black eye from boxing.

We had a swimsuit model compete and she was still able to function in that afterwards.

Otherwise wear head gear if you are super concerned.

And yes boxing does make you feel sexy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210819-052738_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210819-052738_Google.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 105

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Losing a tooth is not nearly as common as you seem to think. You're more likely to get injured driving in to work. Black eyes also aren't super common, and I wouldn't think a black eye had anything to do with a doctor's competency. Worse comes to worst, they ask and you can either tell them you got it boxing, or make up that you fell down rock climbing or something if you don't want them thinking you box. Either way wouldn't impact how someone thinks you can perform surgery.

OP
S

Silveredge

White Belt
Reaction score
Losing a tooth is not nearly as common as you seem to think. You're more likely to get injured driving in to work. Black eyes also aren't super common, and I wouldn't think a black eye had anything to do with a doctor's competency. Worse comes to worst, they ask and you can either tell them you got it boxing, or make up that you fell down rock climbing or something if you don't want them thinking you box. Either way wouldn't impact how someone thinks you can perform surgery.
I hope it's not. When i was sparring i was so tired being focused all the time because i had no mouth guard and it felt even a hit could mean a tooth loss. Oh I'm good at getting injured by driving to work haha
But I haven't seen anyone with black eyes on the gym.. no actually i have my functional training trainer (how should i call him haha).. he does kickboxing for fun and he got punched..

OP
S

Silveredge

White Belt
Reaction score
Then buy a good mouth guard.

I have done combat sports for a while. And honestly nobody really cares if any proffesional gets a black eye from boxing.

We had a swimsuit model compete and she was still able to function in that afterwards.

Otherwise wear head gear if you are super concerned.

And yes boxing does make you feel sexy.
I'm a little harier than her.. and my boobs are smaller haha
so i suppose u're doing box?

OP
S

Silveredge

White Belt
Reaction score
If you spar in a boxing gym, do not do it without a mouth guard.
yes of course i will have a mouth guard. If a dentist doesnt care about his teeth, who would? hehe

And between boxing and kickboxing, is there any difference in the work out part? I feel boxing is ehm.. less dirty? No sweaty feet of foreigners on ur face

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I only mentioned the mouth guard because you had said you were sparring without one, and losing a tooth or breaking a jaw was one of your concerns. So, big item there for prevention.

I don’t train in boxing or kickboxing so am not in a position to comment much on a comparison in training methods.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I hope it's not. When i was sparring i was so tired being focused all the time because i had no mouth guard and it felt even a hit could mean a tooth loss.
You're a doctor. You were sparring with no mouthguard. You were so tired being focused because you had no mouthguard.

You should consider a career change.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm 29, i'm doing functional training the past 2 years (with a break since covid virus resulted in gym lock down) and before that i used to run 6km / 3 to 4 times a week.
I'm well built but i would like to lose a couple of pounds but pretty much that. I always liked boxing and i was thinking of picking it up as a sport. However i am a doctor and i wouldnt like my patients to see my with black eyes. Besides that, am i too old for boxing? and in general, do just people just quit sports when they grow older? I dont wanna that. When u have an opponent in training what do u think about him? u want one of ur punches to hit him or u watch him as a friend with whom u're playing? i've had a couple or boxing classes but that was 1 year ago. Or maybe u have another sport to propose? thank u

It's extremely rare to get a black eye with 16 oz sparring gloves, unless you go to a gym where they don't play and where Champions are made...and you act arrogant or mouth off, etc. Otherwise, you can just tell the Coaches that you're not looking to bang all the time or even at all.

Or pay for private lessons. You'll be loved & protected by all the coaches who won't want to risk you quitting. I guess at your age, on the younger side, you need to look more professional to get your patience's confidence. But I don't think they have much of a choice w/socialized healthcare anyway. Again, very, very difficult to get a black eye (esp. w/headgear on) and Boxing gloves.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
I wonder who's going to complain first about head trauma and the oh so scary, CTE?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When i was sparring ...
When you spar, do you have a plan?

Someone just sent me some sparring video and asked for comment. I just said, "You don't have any plan".

A plan can be as simple as jab-jab-cross. Can you make it work? What's your successful rate for your 100 jab-jab-cross?

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
Boxing is excellent for sweating and getting in shape. It's also good, to a point, for self-defense. But a good martial artist can take out a boxer, using his legs for kicks. If you want to get into shape, take boxing, if you want self defense take maybe what I have been teaching for forty years, American Kenpo. I have used it six times for self defense and it always pulls through for me. Also the Kenpo techniques keeps your body very limber. At my old age, people think I am 30 years younger than what I am, because I practice the technqiues that keep me limber. I am a technique's man.
I hope this helps.
Sifu
Puayllup, WA

Latest Discussions