Should I tie down my punching bag?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's hard to buy the canvas one
It's not difficult to buy. It's just difficult to find one that is already stuffed. The last time I checked it was easy to find the empty canvas bags. Right now it looks like things are shifting to Poly Canvas.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's not difficult to buy. It's just difficult to find one that is already stuffed. The last time I checked it was easy to find the empty canvas bags. Right now it looks like things are shifting to Poly Canvas.
Not just canvas, I want Everlast canvas. Everlast seems to last the longest. I bought a Tuffware black canvas, I cracked it within 2 weeks. I brought it back to exchange, cracked the second one. I got my refund. EverLast seems to last, they average 2 to 3 years. Also, I like that the bottom is like rock hard. Most people don't like it, they want even cushioning, I like it hard at the bottom.

If my white canvas one really break down, I would consider their RED poly one.

The 100lbs leather EverLast last the longest, took me three years to punch and kick holes in it and it won't crack like the canvas. Hopefully those duck tapes will last. That one is EXPENSIVE. I used to have the 100lbs canvas long time ago, they stop making them long time ago.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, I have two bags, one 70 one 100.
View attachment 28960

I like EverLast, they are made cheap, they are quite hard particular at the bottom, it's like a rock, good to practice low round kick to knee level and toughen up the foot and shin.

It's hard to buy the canvas one, I just keep taping them up when they crack. Surprisingly, those duck tape do hold up. I just keep taping. I wish they make the canvas again.
In the corner, though?

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In the corner, though?
You mean mine? No they can swing. The picture doesn't show, I put them in place to make sure they can swing.
100lbs bag.jpg

70lbs bag.jpg

You can see two individual pictures that there are plenty of room for the bags to swing in all directions.

I hate those stands for bags, there is no room for bags to swing before hitting one of the legs.

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Too slow to wait for him to punch two punches!!!

Notice when he punch, the whole bag vibrates, but it doesn't really change the direction of the bag original movement? That's penetration and speed. The bag doesn't have time to react to the punches, just vibrate and jump.

I don't know what kind of bag is that, looked a little dramatic, like water fill that you see ripple on the bag. Don't think my Everlast bags will vibrate like this. It's powerful punches.

That's the whole point, you want to punch the guy and he drops in front of you, not being pushed backwards, then he can come right back. With good punches, they guy just stay there so you can land multiple punches.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It doesn't look like you can move around the bag, though.
No, but I go between two bags. It's harder to switch bags because when you hit one, you lost track of the position of the other, so when you turn back, you have to acquire the distance and position all over again to train reaction.

I would need a 3rd car garage to get more space. But I do like to practice in tighter quarters because there's no open space in real life self defense situation. Particular for stick fight. I hit the bags with the stick, I like to have tight quarter to get use to real life situation.

It's not out of the question to put in the 3rd car garage, it'll worth the money if I sell the house. Just now, we are planning on putting in solar panels, so I have to decide where the solar panels going to be. I really want it to be on the roof of the existing two car garage(where the bags are hanging now). But to do that, I have to move the bags out because the vibration is really really bad. I don't want to put on the roof of the main house because it adds a lot of weight on the top of the house and not good for earthquake. So if I decide to put the panels on the existing garage, I am going to put in a 3rd car garage just for working out and machine shop with air conditioning and carpet!!! that would be lovely.

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, but I go between two bags. It's harder to switch bags because when you hit one, you lost track of the position of the other, so when you turn back, you have to acquire the distance and position all over again to train reaction.

I would need a 3rd car garage to get more space. But I do like to practice in tighter quarters because there's no open space in real life self defense situation. Particular for stick fight. I hit the bags with the stick, I like to have tight quarter to get use to real life situation.
I get you. You're working with what you have. You're just not getting the full value out of the bag if you can't move around it freely. I used to have a bag in the corner, and then I realized you need to dance with the bag. Around it, in circles. So, I moved my bag out of the corner. Never again, in the corner.

Watch the Ali and Tyson videos again and again. It's not just about punching the bag, it's about dancing with it.

Watch Tyson feel the bag, like it's some mythical creature. He feels its flow, and then throws a three punch combo that would kill either of us.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I get you. You're working with what you have. You're just not getting the full value out of the bag if you can't move around it freely. I used to have a bag in the corner, and then I realized you need to dance with the bag. Around it, in circles. So, I moved my bag out of the corner. Never again, in the corner.

Watch the Ali and Tyson videos again and again. It's not just about punching the bag, it's about dancing with it.

Watch Tyson feel the bag, like it's some mythical creature. He feels its flow, and then throws a three punch combo that would kill either of us.
If I get the 3rd car garage, that can be done.

I live in the people's republic of Kalifornia, do you know, my electric bill is almost $500/mo!!!! It's crazy. I already keep the air conditioning thermostat to 76 in the summer and 65 in the winter. Still so expensive. Solar panel might be the answer for me. Not to mention the power failure we have lately. So it's not so far fetch to have a 3rd car garage. That would be heaven. Imagine I have room for 3 heavy bags, a cage for weight lifting, with air conditioning and carpet!!!! I can still get back all the money in like 10 years from saving of the PG&E bill. It's the power failure I cannot take. It's going to get worst as people buy more and more electric cars.

My big boss was so against solar panels. But after two blackouts, she change her mind. It's so inconvenient.

OP
T

Tallguy5292

White Belt
Reaction score
You can always punch without gloves lol That will make you back off on the power. lol.

Do you have a picture of it?
I do! Here it is.
That's an option, ahaha
It's definitely teach me to deliver power, and not push lol

Maybe it is just a control issue, and I'd be just reinforcing that bad habit if I tied the bag down more securely.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20221013_014812.jpg
    20221013_014812.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
OP
T

Tallguy5292

White Belt
Reaction score
If the bag swing a lot when you punch, you are PUSHING the bag instead of punching the bag. A good punch penetrate, not push. Actually my instructor taught us how to judge how the person punch by looking and listening to the sound of the punch. A good punch make a loud sound kind of deep echoie sound, the punch should penetrate into the bag and the bag shake more than moving back.

JowGaWolf posted a video long time ago on someone punching, I cannot find it, that was quite good. We talked about punching, JowGaWolf talked about too much penetration on the bag he used. Maybe he can do a demo.
Ah, okay. So it'd be better to train myself to deliver penetrating punches more, instead of just enabling my bad form by securing the bag more tightly?

OP
T

Tallguy5292

White Belt
Reaction score
Firstly, 6’7” and 250lb?! 😳 You don’t need to learn MMA 😉😀

I used to use the swing-back of my bag to practise body evasion, swerves and dodges and throwing kicks at awkward angles. Otherwise, yes, try tying it still and see how it goes.
Ahaha, right?! XD

But you know the saying, right? Trained skill will always beat untrained talent.

Even if I am naturally large and intimidating, I know even if I have 70 pounds on them, a moderately trained fighter will hand me my *** if all I rely on is my size.

But that's an option! Though my bag is suspended from a stand, so there's no real room to dodge around its back swing. Here's a pic for reference.

Attachments

• 20221013_014812.jpg
    20221013_014812.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
OP
T

Tallguy5292

White Belt
Reaction score
By the way you will probably break your bag tying it down.

There is too much force.
Good to know. Makes sense. It's the freedom of motion that makes things absorb energy better. If it's more rigid, it's more likely to break.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahaha, right?! XD

But you know the saying, right? Trained skill will always beat untrained talent.

Even if I am naturally large and intimidating, I know even if I have 70 pounds on them, a moderately trained fighter will hand me my *** if all I rely on is my size.

But that's an option! Though my bag is suspended from a stand, so there's no real room to dodge around its back swing. Here's a pic for reference.
It looks pretty restricted as it is!

From experience, a taller, stronger martial artist has a distinct advantage, in a combat-situation, over short-arses like me (5’5”… yes, I’m a Hobbit and over a foot shorter than you!😀). It’s those blasted long arms and legs 🐙

OP
T

Tallguy5292

White Belt
Reaction score
It looks pretty restricted as it is!

From experience, a taller, stronger martial artist has a distinct advantage, in a combat-situation, over short-arses like me (5’5”… yes, I’m a Hobbit and over a foot shorter than you!😀). It’s those blasted long arms and legs 🐙
Yeah, it definitely is. I'm hesitant to throw kicks into my routines due to the chance of accide rally banging my shins on one of the metal supports.
I can't hang it from the ceiling, though, since it shakes the whole house.

And That makes sense.

Though there must be a tradeoff, where someone who's shorter prevails more often than a taller person, if they have a significant enough lead on experience and training.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it definitely is. I'm hesitant to throw kicks into my routines due to the chance of accide rally banging my shins on one of the metal supports.
I can't hang it from the ceiling, though, since it shakes the whole house.
Ha ha…I bet it does😄

Do you have a tree or something you cab hang it from, weather permitting?

Though there must be a tradeoff, where someone who's shorter prevails more often than a taller person, if they have a significant enough lead on experience and training.
Yes, perhaps, but all things being equal…I still think the bigger guy has an advantage. I assume this is why there are weight categories in martial arts competitions.

I think with your continued training, you will be a formidable fighter!

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ah, okay. So it'd be better to train myself to deliver penetrating punches more, instead of just enabling my bad form by securing the bag more tightly?
I don't know your level and I am not an expert. Punching looks a lot easier than it really is, take quite a few month to get into it, not just punch. It is better to have someone that do boxing to guide you.

In short, you have to learn to use your whole body, from legs, hip, waist, shoulder to generate power. The arms are more like a whip and only tense up at the point of contact.

When you get your body to work with the punch, you first start out just barely tap the bag and pull back. You want to pull back as fast as you punch. When you get the feel, then try punching like a little deeper(say 1/2") and pull back. When you get good, then go a little deeper. Don't try to punch hard, just lightly tap the bag.

It's a few months thing, do not rush. Get someone into boxing to guide, I can only tell you how I do it.

Latest Discussions