Should a photo (such as on MySpace) stop one from obtaining a degree or keeping a job?

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
...but they may still win in the court of public opinion if they claim they did it to "protect the children."

I don't want to derail the way the thread is progressing, but from the get go I have been thinking about something: So the hell what if she got drunk at a party! This is all part of our society's puritanical belief that drinking is wrong. It's the same stupid reason why the windows on pubs are tinted. If children see adults less than sober then, OH MY GOD, they will be ruined for life. In our society, if this woman is a full blown alcoholic and keeps it under wraps, that's fine, but if she shares with people on her MySpace account that she likes to get pissed during a HOLIDAY party, she is unfit to be a teacher. ********. And the ultimate irony, of course, is that our society's attitude towards alcohol is exactly what makes excessive drinking seem "cool," it becomes a form of rebellion.
A university (you know, where smart people are supposed to be congregating) shouldn't buy into the stupidity of our "alcohol is a sinful vice" culture.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A student on the eve of her University graduation was denied her education degree and teaching certificate just simply because of her MySpace picture of herself (halloween party wearing a pirate hat and drinking out of a "Mr. Goodbar" cup). She was given her English degree instead.

I sometimes wonder to what extent can colleges and universities go in withholding degrees? I don't think she posed nude or anything like that... Anyway, the woman is suing the University.

http://www.deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,660216115,00.html

In a similar vein, there have been several anecdotes of how companies and corporations are reaching into the private lives of prospective and ongoing employees to determine whether one could be hired or keep a job. There are quite a few mentioned (about being fired for similar offenses) on the internet about this already so I will not link to them.

Should there a level of privacy to expect and if so, how much? Are we, as a society, each living a life that is an "open window for anyone to view" that we are no longer able to separate our off-duty behavior from school/work? How much of ourselves are considered public or private? Can no one now ever be able to relax without worry about whether "to look over the shoulder"?

- Ceicei

Thing of it is, is that there really wasnt any privacy violation IMHO. Myspace is something that anyone can log onto at any time. I'm sure some people put some pretty personal things on there, so I'd think that if you were afraid that you may get in trouble or someone may see something that you don't want them to, its pretty simple...don't post it! People need to start being responsible for their own actions.

Mike

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The school is going a bit too far in denying the teaching certificate. Someone posing in a racy photo shouldn't be disqualified as a result. I'm sure that almost everyone has done something shameful in the past, and that such acts, no matter how small, can be twisted and manipulated by anyone, to create a smear campaign.

In the end, she'll win her lawsuit, and the school will be forced to issue her the degree that she should have rightfully been given. Nowhere in the Pennsylvania code, does it back what MU did.

A bit of warning:

Safeguard your personal life, if you don't want it to become public knowledge. All it takes is one prankster, or one individual who may not like you, to broadcast any info of what they retrieve from you.

Just as an example, many of y'all remember the "Simpsons" episode, where Bart took a picture of Homer dancing with a racy lady, and that the picture was widely distributed, almost ruining his life (what little he had). Some of you may scoff at my using a fictitious cartoon as an example, but remember, with the explosion of today's internet, you're only one step away from becoming the next internet phenomenon, even if you didn't want the attention.

This lady will be known as "The Drunken Pirate Teacher," even though she doesn't deserve that title, much like how Ghyslain Raza will forever be known as "The Star Wars Kid."

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
The one thing I don't understand if how does this photo promote underage drinking??
She's legal and there is no one under the age of 21 in the photo. How is some student of hers seeing this picture any different then them watching their folks drink?

She shouldn't be denied the degree, the job....that should be up to the individual school....

I do think in this day and age you need to be careful what you post online though...it can cost you a job...and if you plan to just be a regular average joe, or a joe in a field where positive appearances matter than you need to limit what is posted online.....

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't agree with denying the woman the certification she'd earned based solely on this picture. But posting it on her MySpace was her choice...

I have to wonder what led the school to review her page; I can't imagine even a tiny school would have the time or interest to review every student's MySpace pages... especially since many people have multiple pages. Could she have been a borderline candidate for the teaching certificate for some other reason, like evaluations made of her during student teaching, so the school was looking to push her one way or the other? Or could someone have had a grudge against her?

With all that said -- and as many others have said, the reality of today is that you have to accept that anything you post, anything you say or write, and anything you do might become available to prospective employers or schools. I'll go this far, right now... I make heavy use of MySpace in certain types of criminal investigations.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't understand how a college/university could hold back something earned? If there was a scholarship involved, and agreed upon rules were broken, then maybe. If the aformentioned was not the case. I don't see how they could legally withhold it? In regards to the Corp./Employer privacy thing. If whats been posted is on a public access site. Then whats viewable could be seen by anyone, and used by anyone. If what is being said, or depicted has a direct effect on their employer. Then I think the poster could be in hot water. However, if there is no direct impact to the employer's business. Then there should not be a problem. Here in Ohio an employer can dismiss you for just about anything they wish. We are a "at will" state. This doe'nt mean the employer will be successful in say stopping Unemployment Benefits. Although if they choose to they can make collecting the benefits very difficult. Anyway those are some of my thoughts on the subjects.
1stJohn1:9

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Boy, I am just glad MySpace was not around when I went to college!!!! :) Oh the pictures!!!!!! :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't understand how a college/university could hold back something earned?

At many schools, the faculty and/or board must vote the degrees. If you meet all the academic requirements but kill someone a week before graduation, they can simply choose not to award the degree. This almost never happens; it's usually just a formality. But, it's a reminder that one doesn't simply buy a degree program, meet the requirements, and get the diploma; the degree is awarded by the college when it feels the time is right. One is graduated from college; one does not graduate from college, strictly speaking.

I know this happened where I went to grad. school, and it happens where I now teach. But it would never happen over something as trivial as this.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admitedly, I skimmed this thread, but 2 of the main arguements I saw were the privacy issue, and her choice to post it on myspace.

I would like to know how the picture affects her ability to TEACH. So, teachers don't have a private life? They weren't allowed to make mistakes while growing up? Give me a ****ing break. The picture wasn't even offensive and I'd like to know who HASN'T had a drunken moment in the presence of friends or at a party. So...she admitted it with a caption? BIG DEAL. Try digging around the backgrounds of the people who decided to deny her the degree. Seems like folks like to hold everyone but themselves to a higher standard.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
More and more, companies are using tools like Google to look for information on potential employees. It's not a matter of privacy invasion, but stupidity on the part of people. If I post stuff that indicates behavior that may not fit a companies 'culture' or mores, that's my fault. Teens post incredibly personal information on their myspace or livejournal pages, right down to addresses, phone numbers, and when no one will be home....them wonder why the house got robbed. People post pictures of themselves in 'wild-party' mode, or bragging about illegal activity like drug use then wonder why their job prospects are nil.

Folks, it's simple. Don't post anything you don't want the world to know.

The problem with this is that the University took the picture and used it to make an entirely out-of-context decision. The photograph is of her drinking at a Halloween party. What does this have to do with her qualifications as a teacher?

This is the problem presented MySpace is a personal profile website, for friends and family and whatnot. Nobody posts things on a myspace website expecting colleges and employers to assess it for hiring purposes. Facebook, perhaps, but not MySpace. There is a personal life and a professional life, and the University here decided to take a picture from one context and apply it to the other. That's really unfair to her, and I think she's right to sue.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The problem with this is that the University took the picture and used it to make an entirely out-of-context decision. The photograph is of her drinking at a Halloween party. What does this have to do with her qualifications as a teacher?

This is the problem presented MySpace is a personal profile website, for friends and family and whatnot. Nobody posts things on a myspace website expecting colleges and employers to assess it for hiring purposes. Facebook, perhaps, but not MySpace. There is a personal life and a professional life, and the University here decided to take a picture from one context and apply it to the other. That's really unfair to her, and I think she's right to sue.

Personally I don't have an issue at all with someone forming a personal opinion about what has been broadcast on the public internet...especially first-hand information. The woman shows herself as being drunk...it isn't hearsay "I was out with her and she was drunk." However, I don't see this as being severe enough to be actionable.

There is something else about this case that really bugs me.

Colleges generally don't benefit from having a student NOT graduate. Given a choice betweeen having a senior student graduating and dropping out...the college typically would rather see them graduate. There are many schools that will work with a student whose graduation is at risk for some reason or another.

To take such action against her smacks of some sort of political motive....as if someone had it out for her. Something about this situation just stinks.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I don't have an issue at all with someone forming a personal opinion about what has been broadcast on the public internet...especially first-hand information. The woman shows herself as being drunk...it isn't hearsay "I was out with her and she was drunk." However, I don't see this as being severe enough to be actionable.

There is something else about this case that really bugs me.

Colleges generally don't benefit from having a student NOT graduate. Given a choice betweeen having a senior student graduating and dropping out...the college typically would rather see them graduate. There are many schools that will work with a student whose graduation is at risk for some reason or another.

To take such action against her smacks of some sort of political motive....as if someone had it out for her. Something about this situation just stinks.
How does it show she was drunk? I'm fairly experienced at assessing a person's level of intoxication, and I can't do it off of a picture. OK... She says she was "drunk." Is it arguably possible that she was simply having a good time? Or trying to portray herself as having a good time on a social networking site?

I'm not suggesting that the picture and caption wasn't irresponsible. But it also isn't really enough, without other evidence, to do more than suggest that there might be some issues to look into.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How does it show she was drunk? I'm fairly experienced at assessing a person's level of intoxication, and I can't do it off of a picture. OK... She says she was "drunk." Is it arguably possible that she was simply having a good time? Or trying to portray herself as having a good time on a social networking site?

It's abosolutely possible, agreed. Plus I hear that sometimes people...exaggerate a bit, shall I say, on the internet. ;) :D

I'm not suggesting that the picture and caption wasn't irresponsible. But it also isn't really enough, without other evidence, to do more than suggest that there might be some issues to look into.

I agree completely...which is why this case just doesn't add up, in my mind. I just can't help but thinking something behind the scenes here is very fishy for the school to have taken such punative action. Looks more like someone is trying to cover something up than make a point...but I could be wrong. I think this will make for a very interesting court case.

Latest Discussions