Short Form #2

Does the trick below work for you? (read description below)

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
K

kenpoevolution

Here is cool thing mensioned in Infinite Insights into Kenpo #5 about Short Form #2:

Draw a line from 9:00 to 3:00 on the ground with masking tape and then draw a perpendicular line from the end of the original line at 3:00 towards 9:00. You now have a corner.

Place your right foot in this masking tape corner while you are in the horse stance (after completing the salutation and before starting the short form #2). At the fifth and sixth move (wide kneel stance with a upward block and middle knuckle rake), your right foot should once again be in the corner. Try it! If your foot does not end up there, there is supposed something inconsistnent in the depth of your stances. Tell me if this works for ya'll.

:asian:

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by kenpoevolution
Draw a line from 9:00 to 3:00 on the ground with masking tape and then draw a perpendicular line from the end of the original line at 3:00 towards 9:00. You now have a corner.

No, that's a line. To be a corner the second line must be from 3:00 to 6:00

OP
K

kenpoevolution

Originally posted by Kenpomachine
No, that's a line. To be a corner the second line must be from 3:00 to 6:00

Sorry, you're right. Make that :

"Draw a line from 9:00 to 3:00 on the ground with masking tape and then draw a perpendicular line from the end of the original line at 3:00 towards 6:00. You now have a corner."

Thanks

OP
W

WhiteTiger

Anither one to try,
Long 2 blindfolded, do you finish in the same place and position as you started? If so your feel for angles and depth in your stances is right on.

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I never actually marked the floor, but by that point in the form your feet should be back in the same position.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We didn't use the eight point diagram in my old school but did use your basic cross for 12, 3, 6, and 9 for forms the first couple times you did a form. I'm not real sure where the instructor got the forms that he used. They are similar to the EPAK forms but differ a good deal. I'd love to be able to have one of you all compare the forms to let me know what you think. I still train in the system here at the house with a couple of other former students and a student from my new school is beginning to join in. No ranks, just some folks that really love kenpo trying to keep connected to the art.

FUZZYJ692000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig
In My school, I have part of the Universal Pattern on the floor, mostly delineating the 8 parts of the clock we mostly use. It is a great training tool.

the reason for the Universal Pattern on the floor is cause we get a little confused on which way is 9 o'clock and in which direction we started and which way is 12....i think most of us know our left from our rights but it does get confusing and it really helps with the kids too

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our Universal pattern on the floor helps in so many ways , from a proper Bow stance to Triangle stepping when we are working with StickDummy :)

It helps alot in forms especially the kids and me who need visual aides :)

I use it all the time~!

Some of us are just still need those red and green mittens :D

OP
R

rmcrobertson

It's worth looking back at medieval-to-Renaissance sword manuals to see very similar patterns on the floors of assorted salles...

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I also have a "box" on the floor and a traingle, I also have a straight line that has "foot" out lines that we use as an aid when teaching new students a neutral bow. How bout some other ideas?

OP
M

MisterMike

I believe that Short Form 2 is one of the only Kenpo Forms that starts and ends in the exact same place. When we practice though, we begin and end in a Formal Horse Stance for Short/Long 1 and Short/Long 2.

Michael

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Uh...with the exception of Short 3, ALL the forms should start/end in the same place.

Ya think that's hard...all the forms are supposed to be done in a six-foot-by-six-foot box, too...and yet my Long 5 remains a box roughly the shape and size of Nebraska.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoTess
Try as I might, I can't get Long 3 to end up right where I started from..

It's not supposed to. You should end up one stance over to the right.:asian:

OP
M

MisterMike

Hmmm..I respectfully disagree on 'ALL forms but Short 3' ending in the same place. The closest ones I can get to that are Short 2 and 6.

I'm sure there are differences in the placement of shuffles that may make our versions different and it may be attributed to this (and many other things).

I've mapped them all out and there is a basic pattern(plus/X/combination) you can follow, and then there is the method of mapping the exact footwork(which is what you are looking at on the floor).

What's more important than whether you start/end in the same place is what's being demonstrated on the different lines of the forms.

My .02

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Uh...nope.

The problem with Long 3 probably occurs right at the start, in the "extensions," to the "Crashing Wings," material...after the right hammer to the groin (one application) on the right side, you reverse the motion of the arm and hand, and (one application) throw an opponent to your right, going into a forward bow, yes?

Well, as the hands come down again and you move to the "other side," of Crash. Wings, the right foot drags back in, and you end up in a narrow horse stance, before moving to that other side; and, after the "throw," to your left, you drag the left foot back in, and move to another narrrowed horse stance before moving on to the next tech, Parting Wings...this will mean that your center line keeps returning to where you started...as for the applications, well, some of 'em are beyond me.

And sorry too, but with the exception of Short 3--which plays around with establishing new lines down which to work--all the forms through Long 6 certainly are meant to begin and end in the same place. 'Course with me, this should be translated as, "pretty much in the same place."

Uh...just checked, twice. It works, certainly with Long 3.

I am sorry, but this isn't a difference of opinion.