Short film (Martial arts)

deches

White Belt
Reaction score
Looking for martial artists around mine and my friends age for a short film. Looking for 15-17 year old martial artists around South Wales for various roles in a short film about underground fighting and the abuse of martial arts.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Firstly I can't help with that but what do you mean the abuse of martial arts

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of MMA people in South Wales but not sure if they would be willing to be in a film by someone they don't know. PM me details and I will contact them to see if any are interested.

OP
D

deches

White Belt
Reaction score
Firstly I can't help with that but what do you mean the abuse of martial arts

How so many martial artists abuse the fact they can hurt someone if they want and use their martial arts for that purpose.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
How so many martial artists abuse the fact they can hurt someone if they want and use their martial arts for that purpose.
Well how do you know there's so many that do that? Because underground fights have nothing to do with martial artists especially these days with so many legitimate ways to compete. Most underground fights are between ufc wannabes who don't have the actual skill to compete in proper venues

OP
D

deches

White Belt
Reaction score
Well how do you know there's so many that do that? Because underground fights have nothing to do with martial artists especially these days with so many legitimate ways to compete. Most underground fights are between ufc wannabes who don't have the actual skill to compete in proper venues

I just know a couple boys who abuse the fact they do Muay Thai and Kick boxing and like to start fights and also growing there was that one bully who figured out karate before everyone else. The abuse of martial arts factor is just to create a common enemy in the film.

OP
D

deches

White Belt
Reaction score
I know a lot of MMA people in South Wales but not sure if they would be willing to be in a film by someone they don't know. PM me details and I will contact them to see if any are interested.

I'll pm you now, thank you

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just know a couple boys who abuse the fact they do Muay Thai and Kick boxing and like to start fights and also growing there was that one bully who figured out karate before everyone else. The abuse of martial arts factor is just to create a common enemy in the film.
Obviously there'll always be a couple who do that but it's a very small fraction and personally I'm not a fan of those type of films that make all martial artists are thugs when that's absolutely not the case and honestly I doubt many martial artists would want to be involved in it either, just my 2 cents

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
yes i agree with headhunter on this. my questions are...do you practice a martial art? if you dont,, do you think your perception could be a bit biased since you have had a few bad encounters with bullies? before you make a film you should do some research on all the good qualities and benefits many people have gotten from MA training. since you were looking for teenagers to be in the film i will assume you are also quite young. is it your intention to make a film showing how bad martial arts are? that is the way you have introduced us to your idea and if that is true most martial artists will not want to go near a project like that.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have answered your PM, I can give your details to people in MMA in Wales but I won't give you their details. It will be up to them whether they respond or not because asking for young teenagers on a website can be seen as iffy. You could of course google and ask at various clubs, see what they say. I not sure if you realise that 'underground' fighting doesn't really happen much outside films and television, not much call for it. There's plenty of fight nights, travellers fights and unlicensed boxing ( which is legal) going on that so called underground fighting is unnecessary. The 'abuse ' of martial things is a bit odd, not sure what you are meaning by it.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also when you say short film do you mean a documentary or a movie?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No, they don't. While there are bad apples everywhere but 'so many martial artists', nope that's not true.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have answered your PM, I can give your details to people in MMA in Wales but I won't give you their details. It will be up to them whether they respond or not because asking for young teenagers on a website can be seen as iffy. You could of course google and ask at various clubs, see what they say. I not sure if you realise that 'underground' fighting doesn't really happen much outside films and television, not much call for it. There's plenty of fight nights, travellers fights and unlicensed boxing ( which is legal) going on that so called underground fighting is unnecessary. The 'abuse ' of martial things is a bit odd, not sure what you are meaning by it.
From how I've read it he means he wants to show martial artists as thugs go round picking fights and bullying people...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From how I've read it he means he wants to show martial artists as thugs go round picking fights and bullying people...

Yeah, that will go down well. There's a MMA club in south Wales that takes in young teenagers who may be heading into trouble with the law and turns them around. It's won awards and funding because of the good work they do.

Asking for young teenagers seems odd, I won't be giving the OP anyone's contact details, I will give people their's as I said and they can make up their mind but I want a lot more info than they are giving at the moment before I'm convinced it's legit.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, that will go down well. There's a MMA club in south Wales that takes in young teenagers who may be heading into trouble with the law and turns them around. It's won awards and funding because of the good work they do.

Asking for young teenagers seems odd, I won't be giving the OP anyone's contact details, I will give people their's as I said and they can make up their mind but I want a lot more info than they are giving at the moment before I'm convinced it's legit.
And the fact that this guys supposedly a 16 year old who's making a movie and doesn't have any friends who do martial arts or knows anyone he can ask or go to any local schools. I mean these days more people than not have trained in some martial art at least once in their life surely it can't be that hard to find anyone in his area that he has to come onto a forum to ask

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course the OP can contact Paul Jenkins, I know him well and he's what you call a character, strange fight record because he would just take fights regardless, mad as a hatter. I'm not posting any videos of his fights because sometimes they started strangely and end even more strangely! always funny though, he came on once with emu legs holding the reins, another time he wore a mankini ( he did change before the fight itself) one fight on one of our shows he wore white shorts, he was grappling and started laughing, there was a big brown stain on the back of his shorts when he stood up...................... that was against Pete Irving a very good fighter.
Paul

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Looking for martial artists around mine and my friends age for a short film. Looking for 15-17 year old martial artists around South Wales for various roles in a short film about underground fighting and the abuse of martial arts.
Sounds cool.. picture gritty black and white :) Good luck with it.. for college or A levels or..?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds cool.. picture gritty black and white :) Good luck with it.. for college or A levels or..?

15-17... they would still be doing O levels at school and we really don't need another film telling everyone how nasty martial artists are. If of course they are that age and not some creepy old guy looking to connect with teenage boys.....................

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the abuse of martial arts
Martial arts is made for fighting so if someone is fighting using martial arts then that's what it was made for. If someone is being a jerk and causing fights then that's a personality issue. Martial arts does not = bullying nor does it = abuse. Those are things that people personally decide do regardless of if they know martial arts or not.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was going to say what wolf said.

So...what he said +1

Latest Discussions