Shin Guards For TKD

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In our Dojang we spar 2-3 nights per week. My shins are becoming very sore. I use them to block as much as I use them to strike, and then there is the occasional collision when 2 kicks meet (ouch).

I have thought of wearing shin guards rather than backing off on the sparring. However, I wonder, if I just keep doing it this way, will my shins get used to it? I would hate to rely on shin guards and then develop shins that can't take a real shot.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thay will in time or justwear some Adidas ones they will help until they get condition enough so you do not need to wear them.

level7

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In our Dojang we spar 2-3 nights per week. My shins are becoming very sore. I use them to block as much as I use them to strike, and then there is the occasional collision when 2 kicks meet (ouch).

I have thought of wearing shin guards rather than backing off on the sparring. However, I wonder, if I just keep doing it this way, will my shins get used to it? I would hate to rely on shin guards and then develop shins that can't take a real shot.

You're lucky! I get to spar once a week if I'm lucky. I'll have to start going to the dedicated sparring class held once a week to get my fix.

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Even with shins on your shins will become more accustomed to taking shots. Listen to your body, wear the pads.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have heard of Muay Thai fighters "hardening" their shins. I however took shots to my shin in the same spot on about three concurrent ocassions. The first raised an apple-sized lump on it. It took a while to return to it's normal size but since then it seems as if the skin in the area is very fragile and will bleed at the drop of a hat. I bought and I wear the cloth type shin guards under my pants whenever we are going to spar.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Having had a bruise in a sickly shade of green after colliding with the knee of my sparring partner one time, I can not imagine sparring without shinpads.

(BTW I was wearing mine, it had just slipped...) I got those foam dipped ones. They are OK, but tend to slip on sweaty skin..

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It is recommended (but not required) at our school that we wear not only shin pads, but also forearm guards.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would recommend shin gaurd...even just the cloth padded ones. Enhoy your training...don't suffer for it.

Peace,
Erik

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have heard of Muay Thai fighters "hardening" their shins. I however took shots to my shin in the same spot on about three concurrent ocassions. The first raised an apple-sized lump on it. It took a while to return to it's normal size but since then it seems as if the skin in the area is very fragile and will bleed at the drop of a hat. I bought and I wear the cloth type shin guards under my pants whenever we are going to spar.
If you get that huge lump(contusion) on your shins, make sure that at the end of class you do some massaging of that area. It will greatly reduce the healing period. It hurts like hell at the time but is better in the long run.

OP
H

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like everyone pretty much recommends the shin guards. Kind of what I thought, definitely what I wanted to hear.

I think I'll try the cloth type. Any good brands out there?

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you get that huge lump(contusion) on your shins, make sure that at the end of class you do some massaging of that area. It will greatly reduce the healing period. It hurts like hell at the time but is better in the long run.

I iced it down after class but I have heard you are not supposed to massage the legs because you may dislodge blood clots.

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I iced it down after class but I have heard you are not supposed to massage the legs because you may dislodge blood clots.
If it is a bruise like area its not in a vessel so massage away.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like everyone pretty much recommends the shin guards. Kind of what I thought, definitely what I wanted to hear.

I think I'll try the cloth type. Any good brands out there?

I use the ProForce ones you can get from AWMA.COM for ~$13.

OP
H

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My wife and I ended up ordering from :

Sparring Gear;

The price was affordable, we will see what they do for the knots on my shins.

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I got kicked in the shin constantly, my leg would ever just "get used to it". I'm pretty sure eventually my bones would become fragile. But I'm no doctor. I just don't see how getting hit in the same place over and over wouldn't make things worse.

correct me please.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sylo it would get condition to be able to take the kicks, of course years from now you will be paying for it. Invest the money and get a good pair.

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sylo it would get condition to be able to take the kicks, of course years from now you will be paying for it. Invest the money and get a good pair.

I see. I guess I was confused. I agree with that. While probably not the best thing, but in a self defense situation being able to "take" the blow would def. be a good thing. For training, yes.. get a good pair of shin guards.

In my case.. a good athletic supporter is a better choice.. lots of female kickers who seem to like that area.