Blocks to the shins

level7

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Last night during light sparring, some of my kicks were being blocked by knees, fists, etc. Bone hiting shin bone. Today, it smarts.

Is it best to toughen up my shin bones by not wearing pads or should I get a set of pads because my shins won't get "tougher". I like to try and stay as close to street conditions as much as possible but I also don't want to crack my shin bone either.

So its pads vs. no pads.

Your thoughts and experience?

Thanks!

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Last night during light sparring, some of my kicks were being blocked by knees, fists, etc. Bone hiting shin bone. Today, it smarts.

Is it best to toughen up my shin bones by not wearing pads or should I get a set of pads because my shins won't get "tougher". I like to try and stay as close to street conditions as much as possible but I also don't want to crack my shin bone either.

So its pads vs. no pads.

Your thoughts and experience?

Thanks!

Hit the heavy bag (not the padded water filled ones) with your shin as you do round kicks, increase intensity as you get used to the pain. That is typically all you need. Most of it is simply understanding pain better, and you'll mentally disregard the noogies. Most of us don't need to deaden the nerves on our shin the way the Muay Thai fighters do.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some conditioning of the shin is a good idea. Start out slowly, kicking a heavy canvas bag with your shins as a striking surface on the roundhouse kick. Don't use a Wavemaster as it won't serve the same purpose.

There are more drastic methods of conditioning your shins, but it doesn't seem like you are interested in those, and they do sometimes offer the risk of making blood clots.

I don't personally use shin pads, but I have no beef if my students want to use them.

OP
L

level7

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys! And it just so happens I have a canvas bag at home. :)

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Assuming your at the beginning of your martial art career, just practice diligently using all kicking targets. Bone density changes need time, muscles need too be conditioned, circulatory system increases need and mental tuffness takes time. It's best you learn your kicks correctly and execute them accurately so that you hit your target without interference. Your instructor will set the times when they want you to practice with or without pads.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score

Pads. Only fools go without.

2uh9zco.jpg

If you want to condition, kick a bag.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And that is why I perfer to side kick to the other guy's leg and not a roundhouse. Man I bet that hurt!

Deaf

Natty

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes, you should wear pads.

One, it's not good on your bones. Overtime, if you take a number of hits to your shin bones, you can cause some damage.

Once, when I was sparring, I went to do a turning kick. The guy I was sparring block me and punched me in my right shin bone. The result was a big welting bruise that took over a month to heal. Since then, I will not spar anyone, without my shin guards on.

Have fun sparring, but, be safe while doing it.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Once, when I was sparring, I went to do a turning kick. The guy I was sparring block me and punched me in my right shin bone. The result was a big welting bruise that took over a month to heal. Since then, I will not spar anyone, without my shin guards on.
Yeah. Nothing says ready for the street like limping for a week or two.

Also, shin clashes tend to happen when both parties are trading kicks. On the street, an extended kick-a-thon's not especially likely. (Or smart.)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marginal, a warning would have been good before posting that. Not everyone needs to see it.

MasterWright

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately our insurance does not cover our students unless they wear full gear, unless it's no contact.

I would sugest that students in WTF style wear pads on their shins and forearm guards that cover the elbow.

Latest Discussions