Shaolin Kempo Technique Archive

OP
M

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
After much searching, I found the files for a 1998 manual I typed up for the dojo. I've grabbed the knife techniques out of it, although we don't teach knife defense in that manner any more. I figured it was a good example of 'typical' Shaolin Kempo knife defense.

As I was watching the most recent changes to the site get published, I realized that it was taking a bit longer these days to complete the upload. That's because the site now spans over 50 individual pages. The archive has really taken on a life of its own, as it now contains:

88 combinations
47 Kempos (with maybe some overlap)
39 Animal techniques
10 knife techniques

and 10 blocking systems. That's about 184 self defense techniques, and we're not done yet. I'd like to thank all the folks who've contributed, or even just sent feedback. Every one of you has really made this worthwhile for me. Thanks for being along for the ride.

OP
M

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Out of the same 1998 manual come the club techniques, although again, I teach them differently now. They do give an example of 'typical' Shaolin Kempo club material however, so they are included in the archive.

I also took the liberty of reorganizing the site a bit. Some of the sidebars had become ridiculously long. Hope it works for everyone.

Matt

OP
M

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've again gone to the 1998 manual and the grab technique section is now up. It doesn't cover everything but it does have some for the lapel grab, the double wrist grab, the front choke, and the rear choke.

Matt

OP
M

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Marlon Wilson has submitted the Four Point blocking set, based on the rising crane (or chicken wrist to some schools) and the dropping palm.

OP
M

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
I got a request today for a 'forms' section. I'll start preparing, but as always, if someone has a bunch already typed out, it will speed up the process dramatically.

Matt

OP
M

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
I got a request today for a 'forms' section. I'll start preparing, but as always, if someone has a bunch already typed out, it will speed up the process dramatically.

Matt

Whoops, I forgot Ben Gawiser of Loudoun Martial Arts already sent in 1-5 pinan, and 1-2 kata along with Statue of the Crane, so they will be up shortly.

Matt

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
MATT<
cool less work for the rest of us... Keep up the GREAT WORK Matt.
I have most of the forms written out just not on the computer. I could mail you some of the copys if you want to write then out and post then let me know.
Kosho

OP
M

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
MATT<
cool less work for the rest of us... Keep up the GREAT WORK Matt.
I have most of the forms written out just not on the computer. I could mail you some of the copys if you want to write then out and post then let me know.
Kosho

That would be great - I can type pretty quickly. Fnorfurfoot (Bill) sent 3 & 5 kata as well, so I've got to type 4 and 6 kata, and then the blackbelt, weapon, and 'extra' forms.

Thanks,

Matt

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
6 Kata
Start form of at a 90 degree angle.( opening just like the crane form ) you then step out
with your left foot in to a 45 degree anlge as you deliver a left #4 pushing block and a
right # 1 ridge hand block same time ( just like 10 point ) you slow this down and breath
out. you then then 1/2 moon back your left leg and come back to a 90 degree angle faceing
the same way as start. and your hands cross and come down like STATUE OF CRANE. you then
step out right leg and deliver a # 3 pushing block as you deliver a # 1 ridge hand block
same time ( just like 10 point ). you then 1/2 moon back your right leg and hands cross just
like STATUE OF CRANE but stop 1/2 way and stay crossed. you look right then you look left.
you then look straight and deliver a left and right (same time ) hammer strikes to the (2)
attackers groin. your hands come back to center and on gaurd you then deliver a stepping
stool kick to the attacker in front of you. (max out the kick ). as you land you land right
foot lead and 1/2 moon you left leg to right as you turn 180 degrees and deliver a # 6
block low waist high then a full # 6 block your hands come on gaurd and you deliver a front
ball kick to the attacker infront of you. ( sloar plex ) as you land you bring your hands
back to your left leg and your left leg slides up towardes your right ( keeping together)
and back out into a horse stance ( 90 degree angle ) right hand above your face left hand
in front of you about nose high. ( 12 and 9 o clock ) you then go in to combination # 26
( at end hand stays at elbow postion). you then jump over the attackers body and land in a
horse stance hands on gaurd and you turn 180 degrees and deliver a Low ( X ) block
trapping the attackers leg ( attacker is on the ground ) you open your hands and control
the leg as you deliver a right glancing Thrust kick to the attackers groin spinning 180
degrees you then deliver a glancing ax kick to the attackers groin same time letting go of
the attackers leg. you then spin 180 degrees and step in to a deep longe stance and deliver
a right front 2 knuckle punch to the attackers face with your left hand delivering a # 4
open hand block. you then push of your left leg and bring it up to right with you hands
circleing back together as you step out left foot in to a horse stance with you hands
swinging counter clock wise left hand stopping at 9 and the right hand stopping at 12. step
180 degrees and deliver a # open hand block and grab with your (L) hand the attackers
wrist. Holding on with your (L) hand you deliver a (R) cross hand shuto to the attackers
throat then pull 1/2 way back to elbow postion and then deliver a (R) hand open tigers mouth
strike to the attackers throat. (holding the throat) you then deliver a (R) leg sweep take
down. Once the attacker is down you then deliver a ( monkeys foot strike ) to the attackers
head. letting the attacker go you cross over your right foot over your left as your hands
come to up to your chest area and cross you bring them down as you breath out. (power here)
hands end up at belt level (L) hand 7 o,clock (R) hand 5 o,clock. Hands come up on gaurd
and you deliver a front ball kick to the attackers solar plex. you then bring your hands
down and your (L) foot to right and back out in to a horse stance as your hands swing to (R)
12 0 clock and your (L) to 9 0 clock. you then deliver a #2 block as you deliver a front
ball kick to the attackers solar plex at a 45 degree angle. as you bring your (R) foot down
you grab the attacker behing his head and force down as you deliver a (R) elbow to the
attackers spine. you then grab the attacker witgh your (R) hand behind the neck and Bring
your (L) hand down between there groin and push and flip the attacker. as the attacker
lands on the groung you deliver a (R) driving shuto to the attackers chest area. you then
look to the right and cross behind your (L) behind your (R) and deliver a side thrust kick
to a attacker as you block a punch from a different attacker #1 block and a #8 block that
traps the attackers punch. you then deliver a (L) rev hammer strike to the attackers groin
followed by a (R) back 2 nuckle to the attackers face. you then turn 180 degrees and
deliver a ridge hand # 1 block (as in the 10 point blocking system.) you then cross behind
your (R) leg with your (L) leg as you deliver a side thrust kick to a attacker as you
deliver a #1 block and a #8 block trapping the attackers arm. you then deliver a (L) rev
hammer strike to the attackers groin, followed by a (R) back 2 knuckle punch to the
attackers face. you then bring your (L) foot into your (R) and turn toward your left side
as you 1/2 moon out into a (L) foot lead you go into combination # 4. at the end of the
combination you step out with your (R) leg into a horse stance as you deliver a # 2 block
followed by a (R) driving shuto to the attackers( Right )colar bone and then a (R) driving
shuto to the attackers ( left )colar bone. you then spin 180 degrees and deliver a # 1
block and a driving shuto to the attackers ( left ) colar bone followed by a driving shuto
to the attackers ( right ) colar bone. you then step back into a horse stance with your (R)
leg and end the form same way it started. ( like statue of the crane)

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
That would be great - I can type pretty quickly. Fnorfurfoot (Bill) sent 3 & 5 kata as well, so I've got to type 4 and 6 kata, and then the blackbelt, weapon, and 'extra' forms.

Thanks,

Matt
6 Kata should have been in with the other forms I sent you.

OP
M

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
6 Kata should have been in with the other forms I sent you.

Whoops (again). It was kind of late and I got a little carried away with the old 'cut and paste' so the observant among you might notice that 5 kata had an extended ending called 6 kata on the website. I'll get that sorted.

Apologies,

Matt

OP
M

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
The six kata page is up. I'm planning on putting both versions up, I'll just put an 'alternate page' for the other version. Thanks for the effort, guys.

Matt

OP
M

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Andy Henson of Lynchburg Martial Arts has sent in combinations 100-103. This now means we have a 91-100 page, and are one away from needing a final 101-108 page. For now, combinations 101-103 are in the other combinations page.

Combinations:
Have (92 total):1-78,80,81, 85, 87-90, 93,94,96, 100-103

Need (16 total): 79,82-84, 86,91-92, 95, 97-99,104-108

Almost There!

Matt

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Matt this is amazing!! You are doing historic work. i really appreciate your initiative and dedication!!

Respectfully,
Marlon
p.s. any luck with that lead ?

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Matt heres a staff form if you want to add it to your weapons page
Kosho BO STAFF FORM

FEET TOGETHER YOU BOW WITH THE STAFF LEVEL IN BOTH HANDS WITH YOUR HANDS FACING DOWN AND
FINGERS OUT IN FRONT OF YOU HOLDING THE STAFF WITH YOUR THUMPS. YOU THEN 1/2 MOON (R) LEG
BACK AS YOU TAKE THE STAFF AND MOVE IT (R) HAND BACK NEXT TO YOUR BELT SAME HIGHT (CLOSED
HAND). YOUR LEFT HAND IS HOLDING IT WITH A OPEN HAND SIDE WAYS ON THE STAFF. SURPORTING IT
WITH YOUR THUMPS. YOU THEN 1/2 MOON FORWARD WITH YOU (R) LEG. ( RIGHT LEG LEAD NOW.) YOU
DELIVER A FORWARD BLOCK WITH THE STAFF OVER YOUR HEAD AND IN FRONT OF YOU BLOCKING A STAFF
COMING DOWN AT YOU. YOU THEN ROLL THE STAFF AWAY (RIGHT TO LEFT LIKE A FIGURE 8 MOTION. )

FOLLOWED BY A LEFT HAND FORWARD BO STRIKE TO THE ATTACKERS TEMPLE. YOU THEN DELIVER A (L)
LEG FRONT thrust KICK TO THE ATTACKERS MIDSECTION. PULLING YOUR LEG ALL THE WAY BACK IN TO A
NOW (L) LEG BACK 1/2 MOON STANCE. YOU TAKE YOUR STAFF (LEFT ARM BACK RIGHT ARM FORWARD) YOU
TAKE THE ATTACKER DOWN TO THE GROUND WITH THE SATFF. NOW JUMP OVER THE ATTACKER. (r) LEG
AND SPIN AROUND 180 LANDING WITH (L) LEG SAME SPOT YOUR (R) TOOK OFF FROM. STANDING OVER
THE ATTACKER YOU DRIVE THE STAFF INTO THE ATTACKERS throat. (L) HAND HIGH (R) LOW. YOU THEN
TURN THE STAFF RIPPING INTO THE GROIN. NOW TAKING THE STAFF YOU TURN AND SPIN (R) SWEEPING
AT ANOTHER ATTACKERS FEET. MAKING HIM JUMP. YOU THEN FOLLOW WITH A (R) HAND LEAD STAFF
STRIKE TO THE ATTACKERS HEAD. FOLLOWED BY A REV (L) CREASENT KICK TO ATTACKERS HEAD.
FOLLOWED BY A (R) HAND LEAD ON STAFF YOU TAKE THE ATTAKER DOWN TO THE GROUND. YOU 1/2 MOON
FOWARD UP TO YOUR (L) LEG WITH YOUR (R) LEG AND 1/2 MOON DOWN IN TO A LOUNGE STANCE YOU
DELIVER A OVER HEAD BLOCK FROM A ATTACKER COMING NOW FROM BEHIND YOU. YOU THEN SWING THE
STAFF AND YOU BODY TOWARDS THE (R) PUSHING AWAY THE ATTACKERS (BO). YOUR (R) HAND SHOULD BE
HIGH HAND ON STAFF. STANDING IN A HOURSE STANCE STAFF OUT IN FRONT OF YOU STRAIGHT UP AND
DOWN. YOU THEN SWING THE STAFF AROUND TO YOUR (R) SIDE AND U
P THE ATTACKERS HEAD (L) TEMPLE STRIKE WITH STAFF.
GRAB UP ON THE STAFF (R) HAND YOU THEN DELIVER A (L) SPINNING BACK KICK TO THE ATTACKERS

MIDSECTION.(KNOCKING HIM DOWN). YOU THEN DRIVE THE STAFF INTO THE ATTACKERS GROIN REACHING
OUT TOWARDS YOUR (L) SIDE OF YOU BODY. YOU THEN JUMP UP INTO THE AIR AND LAND (R) LEG NEAR
GROIN HIP SIDE. AND (L) LEG CRUSHING ATTACKERS NECK. YOU THEN (L) LEG STEP OUT OVER
ATTACKERS BODY AND SWING YOUR (R) LEG AROUND INTO A (L) LEG LEAD STANCE. SAME TIME
DELIVERING A DRIVING STAFF END STRIKE TO A ATTACKERS MIDSECTION. YOU BRING STAFF UP AND
BELT LEVEL IN FRONT OF YOU AND DELIVER A STEPPING STOOL FRONT BALL KICK (L) LEG TO
MIDSECTION, LANDING IN A SIDE FIGHTING STANCE. YOU THEN DELIVER A (R) SPINNING BACK KICK TO
THE ATTACKERS MIDSECTION (still 45 angle). after kick (YOU LAND IN TO ABOUT A 90 DEGREE
ANGLE.) DRAWING YOUR (L) LEG INTO A CAT STANCE. YOU ARE HOLDING THE STAFF (R) HAND CLOSED
AND (L) HAND OPEN. STEPPING OFF FROM THE CAT STANCE YOU TAKE YOU (R) LEG AND SWING IN TO A
HORSE STANCE FACING (LEFT SIDE) YOU DELIVER A (R) HAND HIGH (L) LOW BLOCK STAFF UP/DOWN.
YOU THEN SPIN 180 WITH YOUR (L) LEG. KEEPING THE (R) SAME SPOT. AND DELIVER A (R) HAND LEAD
HEAD LEVEL TO THE ATTACKERS TEMPLE. (L) TEMPLE. YOU FOLLOW THEN WITH A (L) HAND LEAD STAFF
STRIKE TO THE ATTACKERS (R) TEMPLE. NOW DRAWING INTO A CRANE STANCE (L) LEG UP TOES POINTING
DOWN. YOU HAVE YOUR STAFF SAME SIDE AS YOU CRANE STANCE . STAFF UP/DOWN WITH (R) HAND ON
TOP (L) BOTTOM. YOU MOVE THE STAFF INTO YOUR (R) HAND SPINNING THE STAFF AROUND WITH ONE
HAND AND BRINGING IT UP AND UNDER NEXT TO YOUR BODY IN FRONT OF YOU. (R) HAND CLOSED (L)
OPEN ON STAFF YOU THEN CLOSE YOUR (L) HAND AND DELIVER A SIDE thrust KICK TO THE ATTACKER
COMING AT YOU INTO HIS RIBS. YOU THEN LAND (L) LEG FOWARD INTO A HORSE STANCE AS YOU DELIVER
A DRIVING STAFF TIP INTO THE ATTACKER. YOU THEN SPIN AROUND BACKWARDS AND LAND (R) LEG
FOWARDS DRIVING THE STAFF INTO THE ATTACKERS RIBS. YOU THEN KEEPING YOU (L) LEG STILL SPIN
AGAIN AND DELIVER A STAFF UP/DOWN (R) HAND ON TOP (L) ON BOTTOM BLOCK IN FRONT OF YOU. BRING
YOUR (L) LEG TO YOUR (R) LEG AND BOW OUT WITH YOUR HANDS HOLDING THE STAFF FINGERS OUT AWAY
FROM YOU. HANDS DOW.

OP
M

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Remember how I said it would be a while before we had any video?

I was wrong.

Ken Warner of Evolution Karate has stepped up with an incredibly generous offer I couldn't refuse. He's providing video and bandwidth. If you like the movies, please consider purchasing his dvds for the high resolution versions. So far, 6 kata and Swift Tigers are up with text, Tai Sing Mon, Hansuki, ShotonQua, Branches of the Falling Pine, Lost Leopard, 1000 Buddhas, Invincible Wall, Five Dragons Face the Four Winds, Nengli North and Nengli South and the Snake are up with just video. I'll get the text up as soon as I'm able. I'm grateful for the support, and am stunned with how far this project has come in less than a year.

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
WOW, great video hats off really nice job.
Kosho

KempoShaun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Some Viillari animal techniques, taught to me by Mark Grupposo, John Fritz, Hugh McLaughlin, Jimmy Caruso and a few others in the early/mid 90's. I wasn't so good at writing techniques down at that point, and my handwriting has always left much to desire, but I did my best typing them up:
Crane:
1) Stick left hand in the air as you deliver a ridge hand to the groin with your right, upwards elbow to the chin right off the ridge hand, wrap right hand to the back of the neck and pull into your right knee.

2) Draw back to a cat stance l.f.f., double thrust block up, step to a fighting stance l.f.f., double ridge hands to body, double knife hands back.

3) dodge by stepping to the left, open hand #1 block, ridge hand to throat (r), palm to kidney (l), flip by pushing in both directions.

4) Jump to flamingo on your left leg, block by putting your arm strait in the air (r), side kick back of leg (r), knee to the back head (l).

5) draw back to a cat stance l.f.f., over head block, back hand slaps, crane wings back and crush.

6) Step back to a cat stance l.f.f., double thrust punch block down, grab wrist (l), rotating chicken wrist to the temple (r), chinese head roll.

Dragon:

1) Step out to the left, open hand #1 block, grab wrist (r), 3 roundhouse insteps to the solar plexis.

2) Step out (l), open #1, roundhouse kick to the head (r), jumping spinning reverse crescent to head (l).

3) Draw back to a cat stance (l.f.f.), golden bell, dropping knife hands collar bones, double palm heels up to snap the neck.

4) step in as in #2 combinations, #3 block out, spinning back fist to the head (l).

5) Parry block (l), grab hand (l), pull into a dragons head strike to the solar plexis, back hand to head (l), hook kick to the back of the head (r).

6) Block (r-l), snapping back fist to the forearm (l), knife hand to neck (r), palm heel to jaw (l), spin back willow palm (r), spinning reverse crescent to head (l).

7) draw back to cat stance (lf.f.) golden bell block, dropping knife hands to collar bones, double palms to ribs, whip arm (l) to pull off balance, dropping knife hand to back (r), walk through leg take down (r).

8) Phase block, hook kick to back (r), pull take down, thrust punch (r) to face.

9) Phase block, front ball (r), rotating knife (r) to neck, palm (l), elbow (r), push over leg take down (r).

10) Step in left, left hand soft redirecting block, continue arm (r), half moon in (r) behind, spinning hook kick to the solar plexis (r).

Leopard:
1) 2 block w/ leopards paw, leopards paw throat (r), driving knife hand to the collar bone (l), front ball kick solar plexis (r).

2) #6 block, leopards paw to the bicep (r) same time, major reap, 3 leopards paws to the heart..

3) Redirect punch/ wave block (l), step in (l),glancing leopards paw and elbow (r) to the floating ribs, backwards elbow (r), take down by digging fingers into collar bone pressure point.

5) #6 down to protect from a low punch w/ leopards paw, cross hand knife to throat (l), take down by pushing on the shoulder (r) and the hip in back (l).

6) #6 block and leopards paw at the same time,grab arm (l), grab neck (r), pull to knee (r), chinese head roll, heel kick to the kidneys (r).

7) Dodge as in 3 combination, glancing leopards paw to the ribs (r), jump down into mule kick position, push off the ground, turn in the air while kicking thigh (l), (r) back of knee, follow up with a roundhouse kick to the face from the ground (r), jump up to a fighting stance.

Snake:
1) Draw back to a cat stance l.f.f., loose #6 block, poke eye (r), poke throat (l), right off of block.

2) From a cobra posistion on the ground, kick shin (r), heel kick thigh (l), rolling roundhouse kick to the head (r).

3) From l.f.f. fighting stance shuffle in, parry block (18 comb.), spining snake strike to the neck (r), follow up with a palm heel (l).

4) Step back to a r.f.f. fighting stance, #6 block, snake strike to throat (r), wrap arm (l), wrap back of neck (r), pull to knee (r), chinese head roll.

5) #6 block, snake strike to throat (r), snakes head to eye (r), snakes tooth to throat (r), wrap arm (l), wrap neck (r), pull to knee (r).

Tiger:

1) Start in a l.f.f. fighting stance, 3&4 out to side, tiger claw to the face (l) and to the body (r), then rotate, trap neck (r) front (l) back of neck, slide left foot back and take down.

2) #2 block, rotating tiger claws (r,l,r) to face.

3) (This move taken from 12 hands of the tiger) grab as you move to the right, pull into tiger claws to the face.

4) #2 block, tiger claw to the face (l), same (r), double claws back, thrusting knife hands to the collar bones.

5) #6 block, palm to the face right off of block (l), elbow head (l), back two knuckle punch to the solar plexis (r), upwards elbow (r), pull to knee (r), chinese head roll.

6) 1&2 blocks, tiger claw to face (l) and tiger claw to groin (r) at the same time, palm up to chin (r), tiger claw rake face (r), same (l), take down over knee (l).

7) Step into a l.f.f. stance, palm up to the front of the body (r), do same in back (l) as you palm back in front, upwards palm to the jaw (r), rake back down (r), palm from above to the head (l), same take down as in #6.
8) 1&2 blocks, tiger claw to face (l) and tiger claw to groin (r) at the same time, palm across face(r), elbow on the way back (r), trap head (l) elbow (r) (keeping hand where it is from hook), lift up and throw by pivoting to the rear.

9) 1&2 blocks, tiger claw to face (l) and tiger claw to groin (r) at the same time, palm across face(r), elbow on the way back (r), trap head (l) elbow (r) (keeping hand where it is from hook), lift up step on back of knee(l).

10)Start in l.f.f.fighting stance, monkey hand block (r), start spinning (r) as you deliver a palm to side of face(l), continue spin as you deliver a spinning tigers claw to face (r).
Monkey: Circular block (l), grab groin right off of block (l), turn to get behind (r), grab groin through legs as you spin (r), jump up , turn neck take down.

Praying Mantis: Start in a left foot forward, shuffle in and use arm (l) to deflect block, poke eye off block, elbow ribs (r), elbow head (l), wrap neck (r), take down.

Monkey: Heavy dropping forearm blocks, jump up grab head take down w/ both hands, dropping palm strike to any spot.

:asian:

KempoShaun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Some old Kempos from Pam Smith, Rob Whitney and Mark Grupposo, taught to me circa '94:

1) Step out to (l), #1 block, hammer fist to the ribs(r), palm heel ribs (l).

2) #2 block, front 2 to face (r), solar plexis (l), groin (r).

3) shuffle in (like 2 comb.), #3 block (r), reverse hammer groin (r), back 2 face (r).

4) #5 block, roundhouse elbow (l), #6 block, back 2 (r), upwards elbow (r).

5)(chinese triple hand) shuffle to (l), dropping elbow block (l), back hand face (l), knife hand groin (l), chicken wrist (l), ridge hand pulls in (r), palm heel pushes away (l).

Latest Discussions