shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
Villari's of Louisville
4160 B-D Westport Road
Louisville, KY 40207

title_phone.gif

(502) 899-5506

Heres Grandmaster Joan Richart's school.
She just tested with Grandmaster fred villari in april for 9th degree.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just saw some of the Villari white to black dvd's, man for a guy in his mid sixties Villari can still move pretty good.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Villari's of Louisville
4160 B-D Westport Road
Louisville, KY 40207

title_phone.gif

(502) 899-5506

Heres Grandmaster Joan Richart's school.
She just tested with Grandmaster fred villari in april for 9th degree.

i would love to see the form wounded tigers.or better find someone willing to teach it to a high level non Villari affiliated teacher...obviously not myself

Marlon

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
The story as told to me was Professor Mattera wanted to run West Coast Operations independently. GM Villari pointed out that studios Called Fred Villari's Self Defense Studios wouldn't seem right if there was no longer a Fred Villari. Mattera agreed and they exchanged a million dollars in a secret business deal.

The next day Villari held a meeting in which he announced he was firing Professor Mattera. After that lawsuits were filed using according to USSD the same money that had just exchanged hands and Professor had to borrow heavily to fight the legal battles. Things happened behind the scenes in what can be described as a business war that occassionally got out of hand.

In the days when I was with USSD it seemed more like an annoyance than a real problem. Things would happen such as the Villari guys picking up USSD.com and other internet names that the company would eventually need in an effort just to a make things difficult. I am sure there are Cillari stories about United doing things as well, but at the end of the day who knows.

An interesting story from years ago. After the FVSDS name had been sold and both companies were trying to keep the California instructors in their own camps Villari was planning a tournament to show he was still in control. United was trying to serve him with cease and desist papers, but his location was kept secret. He made the mistake of leaving a business card with a note on a good looking women's windshield saying he was a movie producer named Fred Villari who had a role that would be perfect for her. Unfortunately she had a roommate who had a boyfriend who was a USSD instructor. They talked her into calling and pretending to be nervous about setting up a date with him. She agreed to meet him at a bar in Los Angeles. He unfortunately was served with the cease and desist papers instead.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The story as told to me was Professor Mattera wanted to run West Coast Operations independently. GM Villari pointed out that studios Called Fred Villari's Self Defense Studios wouldn't seem right if there was no longer a Fred Villari. Mattera agreed and they exchanged a million dollars in a secret business deal.

The next day Villari held a meeting in which he announced he was firing Professor Mattera. After that lawsuits were filed using according to USSD the same money that had just exchanged hands and Professor had to borrow heavily to fight the legal battles. Things happened behind the scenes in what can be described as a business war that occassionally got out of hand.

In the days when I was with USSD it seemed more like an annoyance than a real problem. Things would happen such as the Villari guys picking up USSD.com and other internet names that the company would eventually need in an effort just to a make things difficult. I am sure there are Cillari stories about United doing things as well, but at the end of the day who knows.

An interesting story from years ago. After the FVSDS name had been sold and both companies were trying to keep the California instructors in their own camps Villari was planning a tournament to show he was still in control. United was trying to serve him with cease and desist papers, but his location was kept secret. He made the mistake of leaving a business card with a note on a good looking women's windshield saying he was a movie producer named Fred Villari who had a role that would be perfect for her. Unfortunately she had a roommate who had a boyfriend who was a USSD instructor. They talked her into calling and pretending to be nervous about setting up a date with him. She agreed to meet him at a bar in Los Angeles. He unfortunately was served with the cease and desist papers instead.

OK, before I get a bunch of "Report to Moderator" emails, let just say that these are second and possibly third hand accounts. And although they may or may not be very accurate, like any other other stories, there's usually another side that we are not reading.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
To bad egos tend to get in the way, things would be a lot better I think if there was cooperation and exchange of ideas between the Villari and Mattera organizations

Iron Leopard

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've trained in both schools (ussd, valari) and taught students of both. almost identical styles. great system I've worked with students of many karate and "kung fu" styles. shoalin kempo seems to be the most complete system i've studied though it does lack chi building and breathing techniques etc.. they are there but not focused on much.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not to take the thread off topic, but Iron Leopard, have you considered posting a hello in the Meet & Greet? And welcome, and happy posting! :wavey:

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I've trained in both schools (ussd, valari) and taught students of both. almost identical styles. great system I've worked with students of many karate and "kung fu" styles. shoalin kempo seems to be the most complete system i've studied though it does lack chi building and breathing techniques etc.. they are there but not focused on much.

Gotta disagree there. Through out the years, all the instructors I met have always streesed those things in their classes. SKK is full or chi, and breathing exercises. Maybe you just had an isolated incident, with a manufactured instructor, unknowledgeable with the system. Heck, it's in the home video series too.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm a current ussd student and can't speak for all SKK but at my studio I have not had much training in Chi development

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm a current ussd student and can't speak for all SKK but at my studio I have not had much training in Chi development

That's because that's not a focus of those schools. To study that, I would suggest finding a taiji instructor that teaches for the love of it and not money. I just attended a rad seminar from a Chen style GrandMaster and I must say, it's awesome. He didn't speak any English, but, you could get it.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Um, you're a little mistaken. it was Fred Villari's USSD when they came to CA. CM took off the FV and that's what started the war (this is from a guy that was here at the time and went with FV). I don't know where you got your story from, but I've seen the court documents from CM. Ask him and he'll show them to you. There was no secret deal. I doubt your story about the tournament thing...considering that there are still FV tournaments in CA.

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
He is awesome. Honestly, if you listen to the Fred Villari side, Mattera got greedy. If you listen to the Mattera side, Villari got greedy. It's always going to be he said/he said. Here's what I got from the Villari side it's that Mattera went out to the west coast to open schools and never sent Villari his money, so Villari opened up his own schools under the Fred Villari name and shortly after the USSD split happened. Mattera sued for the USSD name and won the name. That kind of co-insides with the Mattera story and that's that. I'm done.

Well if you look at how much a villari's school and than a Mattera school is there's a big difference.

Villari's is $50,000 and you pay $100 a month to GM Villari for licensing fee and you keep all the rest.

Mattera's ussd you pay $250,000 for half a dojo AND YOU PAY $750 FOR MANUALS A MONTH. Plus ussd keeps all the green and brown belt testing fee's at Villari's you keep it.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well if you look at how much a villari's school and than a Mattera school is there's a big difference.

Villari's is $50,000 and you pay $100 a month to GM Villari for licensing fee and you keep all the rest.

Mattera's ussd you pay $250,000 for half a dojo AND YOU PAY $750 FOR MANUALS A MONTH. Plus ussd keeps all the green and brown belt testing fee's at Villari's you keep it.

Not saying a word...

Iron Leopard

Green Belt
Reaction score
It does cost a lot to own and run a USSD school but the profits, benefits and support are second to none. Some of the business practices in the old Villari schools were a bit shady, but....as in all things there is change and things might be different now.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It does cost a lot to own and run a USSD school but the profits, benefits and support are second to none. Some of the business practices in the old Villari schools were a bit shady, but....as in all things there is change and things might be different now.

It all depended on who you learned the business from. I learned from a great person and there was nothing shady in the way I was taught to run my school. In fact, I took business classes and they all were in agreement with my instructor's practices...so, once again, it all depends on the person you learn from. I could say the same thing you are saying about old V schools and apply it to a lot of current USSD schools and how they are told to be run, but I won't. Not because I'd be lying, but because I'd get hostile...and I don't want that.

Iron Leopard

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'll agree here that there are good and bad with both systems and there are very good ussd instructors and schools and very good vilari instructors and schools as I've been associated with both. I've also seen instructors at both make tons of money and have many happy students!

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I like my instructor and don't think he is dishonest at all, but I do think ussd overcharges.

MeatWad2

Green Belt
Reaction score

How can it be a good thing to run a United studios school when over half the money goes to ussd?

Do you have any stories or first hand experience?

I've heard a lot of shady business practices about ussd and mattera but I wont post them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions