Shaolin Kempo Karate

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldsteel87

White Belt
Reaction score
I train in shaolin kempo karate under grandmaster fred villari. I am dedicated to the system and the longer i train the more i am amazed by it. Many people though talk badly of villari and his system. I dont understand this. Is it cause they saw a villari student who was a little more then less then perfect? I would like to know what others think about villari and his system.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
coldsteel87 said:
I train in shaolin kempo karate under grandmaster fred villari. I am dedicated to the system and the longer i train the more i am amazed by it. Many people though talk badly of villari and his system. I dont understand this. Is it cause they saw a villari student who was a little more then less then perfect? I would like to know what others think about villari and his system.

I love the shaolin kempo system. i appeals to the practical and the artistic. i do not think many people have knocked the style or the martial skills of GM Villari...just the busniess practices. I think SK is inncredibly complete except i find little focus on chi training and explaination. The movement, flow, srtike sequencing, and blending of the four ways of fighting make this art of GM Villari truly amazing...however he did not create it out of nothing...there are many roots to SK.

Respectfully,
Marlon wilson
www.shaolinkempo.ca

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If anyone is wondering I moved the thread to the Kenpo / Kempo -General
area because I belive this is where it should be and where it will recieve the most posts
Sheldon Bedell
MT mod

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
marlon said:
I love the shaolin kempo system. i appeals to the practical and the artistic. i do not think many people have knocked the style or the martial skills of GM Villari...just the busniess practices. I think SK is inncredibly complete except i find little focus on chi training and explaination. The movement, flow, srtike sequencing, and blending of the four ways of fighting make this art of GM Villari truly amazing...however he did not create it out of nothing...there are many roots to SK.

Respectfully,
Marlon wilson
www.shaolinkempo.ca

I'd agree about that about Mr. Villari. Those that were there and know would concur of his legitimacy as a martial artist. I would say that it depends where you go for class. All the instructors that I had in the past were real big on chi. (to my dismay at the time)

CTKempo Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
coldsteel87 said:

Coldsteel...
Shaolin Kempo karate is a very good system. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Part of 'your' journey and discovery will be tracing the roots back not only of GM Villari but of 'his' system as well. The katas, pinans, combinations all exisited in one way or another before Fred Villari. (yes there are exceptions but the root system to black belt was there..

Again, I have mentioned this before on this forum..this does not take anything away from GM Villari as a martial artitst. I have punched in for him and felt it personally. He has left a nasty trail of destruction in his business pratices though. Nothing that has already been said here before..

Keep studying and practicing hard.

Seeing your in CT, feel free to come for a visit.
I am in South Meriden and am a former instructor in the Villari system.
Best of luck to you.

Todd Guay
CT Kempo and Fitness
South Meriden, CT

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
Coldsteel...
Shaolin Kempo karate is a very good system. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Part of 'your' journey and discovery will be tracing the roots back not only of GM Villari but of 'his' system as well. The katas, pinans, combinations all exisited in one way or another before Fred Villari. (yes there are exceptions but the root system to black belt was there..

Again, I have mentioned this before on this forum..this does not take anything away from GM Villari as a martial artitst. I have punched in for him and felt it personally. He has left a nasty trail of destruction in his business pratices though. Nothing that has already been said here before..

Keep studying and practicing hard.

Seeing your in CT, feel free to come for a visit.
I am in South Meriden and am a former instructor in the Villari system.
Best of luck to you.

Todd Guay
CT Kempo and Fitness
South Meriden, CT

Why did you leave Villaris?

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My instructor at ussd speaks very highly of GM Villari. I've been studying Shaolin Kempo Karate for a year now and I like it.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was a 2nd Dan in 1989 under the Villari system and currently hold the same rank at USSD, basically the same system with minor differences. I agree with other posts, the system is very good, definately saw a bit more realism back in the 80s and 90s with Villari than I see now, but still pretty well rounded and adaptable. Keep your mind open, see techniques and movements for what they can be, not just what they are ... be a sponge, everyone may have something to offer.

Good luck!

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
ussd teaches the same style as Villari since both of our GM's were students of GM Villari. There are no Villari's or Cerio's studios in Utah, otherwise I'd love to go in and check them out to see the similarities and differences.

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion you need to "make bigger circles" Joe... See what all is out there-

I bet you would be surprised at all the info. available that is NOT in the Yellow pages :)

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
Funny. My instructor thinks very low of Villari.

My insrtuctors said some bad things but they were just 2nd degrees and had never met him. They also had old schools that they owned 100% nobody else did.

Unless it's master cleg that told you about him and even then you should take it with a grain of salt. Maybe ask your insrtuctor why charlee left him?
I would like a straight answer on this.

Remember villaris is ussd's biggest competition and you can own a dojo with them for $50,000 100% USSD $250,000 for 50%

I am not trying to start a war I just think you should ask your insrtuctor why he doesn't like him?

So I would try to ask someone who was there.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My insrtuctors said some bad things but they were just 2nd degrees and had never met him. They also had old schools that they owned 100% nobody else did.

Unless it's master cleg that told you about him and even then you should take it with a grain of salt. Maybe ask your insrtuctor why charlee left him?
I would like a straight answer on this.

Remember villaris is ussd's biggest competition and you can own a dojo with them for $50,000 100% USSD $250,000 for 50%

I am not trying to start a war I just think you should ask your insrtuctor why he doesn't like him?

So I would try to ask someone who was there.

I agree here, although I am 2nd degree with USSD and was there during the split, it is because I took some 12 years away from Martial Arts in between. People who were actually there and stuck with MA would be at the very least 4th Dans, most are 5th and up. Think about that, it was 1988, some 18 years ago. Also, most persons that broke away with Mr. Mattera, at the time, did so because he was thier teacher and therefore they probably had limited access to Mr. Villari. Look at the list, those that stayed with Mr. Villari at the time were high ranking individuals, Mr. Bagley, Mr. Pearlswig, to name just a couple, and they were from the East Coast ... trained for the most part by Mr. Villari himself. Those that broke off, mostly western raised Nevada, California, etc ... trained by Mattera. Yep, like most would do, they stuck with thier instructor or thier instructor's teacher. I know I did at the time, I was Mr. Pearlswig, I went the direction he went for a couple years until he moved on, I only stuck for a short time with another instructor after his departure.

On the other point, good luck getting the opportunity to ask the question. I too would like to hear it. Don't you think that question has probably been asked numerous times? At this point, I would bet that we'll never get the answer directly from the source, either source.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My instructor says Mattera split from Villari's was just business. In Scott's own words" GM Villari is awesome".

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My instructor says Mattera split from Villari's was just business. In Scott's own words" GM Villari is awesome".

He is awesome. Honestly, if you listen to the Fred Villari side, Mattera got greedy. If you listen to the Mattera side, Villari got greedy. It's always going to be he said/he said. Here's what I got from the Villari side it's that Mattera went out to the west coast to open schools and never sent Villari his money, so Villari opened up his own schools under the Fred Villari name and shortly after the USSD split happened. Mattera sued for the USSD name and won the name. That kind of co-insides with the Mattera story and that's that. I'm done.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I study Shaolin Kempo Karate in Louisville, KY under 1st degree Johnathan Drake, who is a student under 6th degree Mr. Wright who is then a student under GM Brassard. Ive only been at it for about 6 months and just obtained my orange belt (this past saturday in fact) so I have not learned much about which system my dojo is connected to. I believe it is Villari's, but im not 100%. If anyone knows this would be cool to find out

B

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
I study Shaolin Kempo Karate in Louisville, KY under 1st degree Johnathan Drake, who is a student under 6th degree Mr. Wright who is then a student under GM Brassard. Ive only been at it for about 6 months and just obtained my orange belt (this past saturday in fact) so I have not learned much about which system my dojo is connected to. I believe it is Villari's, but im not 100%. If anyone knows this would be cool to find out

B

Master Jim puts old Villari tapes for sale on ebay.I have a couple of them good quality too.
Whats Grand master Brassard up to now?

How many schools does he have?

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score

B

If it's Joan Richart's school then it's Villari afflilated.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Master Jim puts old Villari tapes for sale on ebay.I have a couple of them good quality too.
Whats Grand master Brassard up to now?

How many schools does he have?

There are three schools that i know of mine in Louisville, the one my instructor goes to in Georgetown KY and GM brassards in Boston i believe. I dont know if there are more. He was in Georgetown for a seminar but i was unable to attend because of health issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions