*SF soldier dies after bar fight over Jimmy Buffett song in Steamboat*

OP
BLACK LION

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
They are unclear as to what "injuries" he sustained. I will do some recon.

OP
BLACK LION

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
"A soldier who died after a bar fight in Steamboat Springs, Colo., was a Special Forces member who was wounded in Afghanistan and also served in Iraq, family members say.
Sgt. 1st Class Richard Lopez of Fort Bragg, N.C., was found unconscious outside a bar early Friday and died on Monday after he was airlifted to a Denver hospital, police said.
Authorities said Lopez, 37, and two friends got in an argument with two other bar patrons after Lopez and his friends played a Jimmy Buffett song on the jukebox. Family members told The Denver Post the song was “Margaritaville.”
Police Capt. Joel Rae said Tuesday the death is being investigated as a homicide. He said no arrests have been made but that two men have been identified as suspects and are in contact with police through their attorney.
The suspects’ names haven’t been released.
Gloria Bovadilla, Lopez’s aunt, told The Post that Lopez was shot and seriously wounded while serving in Afghanistan. She said he also served in Iraq.
Fort Bragg officials did not immediately confirm that but said they planned to release Lopez’s service record later.
Police identified Lopez’s friends and companions that night as brothers Wes Mottlau, a soldier, and Timothy Mottlau, a sailor.
Shannon Boahn, Lopez’s ex-wife, said the Mottlaus told her they and the other bar patrons were “razzing” each other over their jukebox selections — Buffett for Lopez and the Mottlau brothers, Kanye West for the other patrons.
The other men continued to razz Lopez and the Mottlaus after they left the bar, she told the Rocky Mountain News. The Mottlaus told him to ignore it, “But I guess Richard was responding back to the insults,” she said.
Boahn said Lopez apparently slipped on ice and may have been knocked unconscious by the fall. It wasn’t clear if a fight was in progress at the time.
Rae declined to comment on Boahn’s account.
Boahn said she and Lopez were married for eight years and were on good terms. She said Lopez and the Mottlau brothers had spent a week in Steamboat Springs while on leave, and that the jukebox argument broke out on their last night there."

An apparent "slip and fall" on the ice, indicating head trauma.... been happening allot lately.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Dying over Jimmy Buffett song....DYING OVER JIMMY BUFFETT...it's not KISS it's not LED ZEPPELIN it's JIMMY BUFFETT!!!

Man even God and Satan are shaking their heads at this one.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And another thing if you are going to die to Jimmy Buffett at least at the very least die to one of upbeat songs like Fins or Volcano or Cheeseburger paradise man it would be terrible to die to the song Vampires,Mummies and the Holy ghost.

My mom made me listen to Jimmy Buffett,Kenny Loggins and Frankie Valli you can tell I had a scared childhood.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
An American war veteran has died and some of you think this is a joke, shame on you. Sorry, I forgot to add my name "Wade" when I put the negative remarks against you.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
An American war veteran has died and some of you think this is a joke, shame on you. Sorry, I forgot to add my name "Wade" when I put the negative remarks against you

No problem Wade. And no Shame on me Shame on the guy who died over a Jimmy Buffett song!!

Oh ya I gave you a Positive Rep Wade cause your negative rep rocked!!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The shame is on Eduardo and David Capote, that beat a serviceman to death.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
I do get a little defensive about this. I'm a Viet Nam vet, my wife was in the Army in the 4th Psyop Gp, at JFK Center, Ft. Bragg. All 3 of my kids have served in Iraq, 2 in an amored unit, 1/64 2 BCT 3ID and the baby, who is in Special Ops just came back from his 4th deployment. When I hear about things like this it really upsets me. Go figure, eh?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm an aunt of an 18 year old Spec4 (ARNG) that went to Basic at Fort Bragg. I feel ya.

OP
BLACK LION

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is who should upset you.

Capote_Eduardo_MUG_t180.jpg

Capote_David_MUG_t180.jpg

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, A 1st class Sarge of a Special Forces unit...got involved with a fight and die.......STUPIED of him to get into one fight in the first place..

MAN EGO"s always bigger than the brain!

Sarge's suppose to know better...to walk away in this case! Looks like he had lots of medals...and a brave man....

EGO's---one thing that can cause alot of deaths...to everyone...

Special forces train Sarge...in training? ....one needs to learn to fight like on the streets...to become a street fighter...anyone can learn self-defense....BUT STREET FIGHTS IS FOR REAL!!!

You may get anger about my comments...I am more mad for this Sarge to lose his life because of his EGO....

THIS WAS PREVENTABLE...AND SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPEN....A soldiers fault.....

Aloha, ...just my toughts ( 4 years of High School ROTC..and 6 years in the National Guard...)

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Was it even a fight? If they beat the man to death that is one thing, but if it was a verbal confrontation and he slipped on an ice patch and landed badly, that is quite another.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes it was a fight.

http://www.craigdailypress.com/news/2009/mar/23/charges_released_men_suspected_soldiers_death/

If dying from a slip and fall on the ice was a matter of "oops, that wasn't supposed to happen", I'd wager that the population of the northern US and Canada would be a lot lower than it is. Either that or we'd be wearing some seroius ice cleats come wintertime. :D

Sad story of avoidable violence ending badly. I'm surprised the brothers aren't being charged with manslaughter, at least (only assault charges).

OP
BLACK LION

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
They are being charged with felonies.

After a shouting match one of the attackers ran up to the Victim and hit him in the face 2x and he fell to the ground as a result and struck his head.... the mortal injury was "gravitational" as the earth was the impact tool.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I suspect the icy conditions is why the brothers are not being charged with one of the manslaughter degrees. Probably a good call by the DA.

But wow, if there is anything to be taken away from this its the importance of swallowing your pride and walking away, especially if you've been having a drink with friends. Let the jerks get your goat, don't let them get your health/life. Your real friends will still be there for you.

OP
BLACK LION

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
Violence is most often avoidable... and most of the time it is as simple as closing the mouth and keeping it moving....

Latest Discussions