serious help needed.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK, here's the situation. I'm in JROTC, no big deal. We have a team called Raider, which is supposed to be the JROTC version of the Rangers. I'm on the team, and we do marksmanship as an event (air rifle, standing, kneeling, prone... usual deal). I'm also thinking about joining the Marines, which have a marksmanship requirement. I have about three months before I have anything to worry about, but I still want to get some practice in.
I dont have a Hunting License (required at every Range near me), my Mom cann't moniture me (the alternitive), and my dad is out of the picture. I am air rifle qualified, but no hunting license.
I was thinking I could get some pipe and fill it with concrete. It'd weigh a ton, and I could hold the differnit postions for like 3 minutes each. So, if nothing else, my body is getting used to the postion. Kinda like posture training in karate/kung fu.
Comments, tips, and suggestions would all be apperciated.

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you have a place you can practice dry firing? The sight picture and trigger squeeze practice will help you much more than lugging around a cement filled pipe. As to the marksmanship requirement in the Marines, that is something that is done during boot camp after you enlist, not a requirement to join. And don't worry “The Corps” will show you exactly how they want you to shoot.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i don't have all that much experience but i did do some army service and i enjoy shooting when i have the chance. i'm hoping to join a gunclub and do some more practice in the future. as i am to inherit some fa.

maybe for fast shotgun action one would need to move quickly, but generaly, i think being stable and still would be more important that physical strength although the strength might be good, a gun need not be swung around like a sword or stick..
i found the stillness is a strange type of stability. all kinds of forces need to be countered and controlled in order to guide the projectile. breath, heartbloodcirculation, wind, gravity i heard even earth curvature. way more heady than the instinctive cut of a sword...or maybe i'm just not that good of a shooter??
compared to a gun, i feel a sword is like a flexible weapon like a chain or ropedart.
well, actually, i guess a huge bar like that will definately get you to use your body more efficiently.

j

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I probably could try to find a place to dry fire, but I couldn't even begin to geuss were. And as for the Marine part, it's just kinda one of those things I'd like to know I can do before I get in. Also why I'm working on my 2 mile. I got like 5 minutes to cut off my time, I don't want to just skate by because some guy was running behind me cracking a bullwhip shouting "run fatty, run!"
Anyways, any other tips for me?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a former Marine who qualified Expert on every trip to the range. My advice is to continue working on your PE and don't worry about marksmanship. My PMI told us that the best shooters are generally the recruits with little to no previous experience because they don't have any bad habits to break. Believe me, you will be sitting in the positions for hours, day after day.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
i don't have all that much experience but i did do some army service and i enjoy shooting when i have the chance. i'm hoping to join a gunclub and do some more practice in the future. as i am to inherit some fa.

maybe for fast shotgun action one would need to move quickly, but generaly, i think being stable and still would be more important that physical strength although the strength might be good, a gun need not be swung around like a sword or stick..
i found the stillness is a strange type of stability. all kinds of forces need to be countered and controlled in order to guide the projectile. breath, heartbloodcirculation, wind, gravity i heard even earth curvature. way more heady than the instinctive cut of a sword...or maybe i'm just not that good of a shooter??
compared to a gun, i feel a sword is like a flexible weapon like a chain or ropedart.
well, actually, i guess a huge bar like that will definately get you to use your body more efficiently.

j

Keep in mind that for now, this is about target shooting. Worrying about more combative shooting will come latter.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a former Marine who qualified Expert on every trip to the range. My advice is to continue working on your PE and don't worry about marksmanship. My PMI told us that the best shooters are generally the recruits with little to no previous experience because they don't have any bad habits to break. Believe me, you will be sitting in the positions for hours, day after day.

I would do that, but like I said, at the moment I have to worry about it for Raider Team. I'm getting marksmanship tips from the basic soldiering manuel, well a back issue. I'm not too worried about breaking habits, mostly getting to do better then 68 out of a max of 300. And, yes I am serious. That is about my average.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would do that, but like I said, at the moment I have to worry about it for Raider Team. I'm getting marksmanship tips from the basic soldiering manuel, well a back issue. I'm not too worried about breaking habits, mostly getting to do better then 68 out of a max of 300. And, yes I am serious. That is about my average.

Here's something that might be worth looking into.

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
I probably could try to find a place to dry fire, but I couldn't even begin to geuss were. And as for the Marine part, it's just kinda one of those things I'd like to know I can do before I get in. Also why I'm working on my 2 mile. I got like 5 minutes to cut off my time, I don't want to just skate by because some guy was running behind me cracking a bullwhip shouting "run fatty, run!"

Then you would probably be better served working on your pt skills than your shooting skills I.M.O. When I was in the service, the slow/heavy guys got dogged mercilessly. You don't want to be the last in anything in that type of organization.

SKB

Green Belt
Reaction score
When I was in the Corps I spent some time wrking as marksmanship instrutor and even took a group of recruits through their first time at the range. The best thing you can do is let the Corps show you how to shoot if you do not know how at the moment!!! The worst to teach are the people who are sure they already know how to shoot!!!!! You can not get any better training then what you wil then!!!

On the other thing you stated....... YOU NEED TO GET IN SHAPE AND THE SOONER THE BETTER!!!!! You don't want to be a diet private!!!!

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
On the other thing you stated....... YOU NEED TO GET IN SHAPE AND THE SOONER THE BETTER!!!!! You don't want to be a diet private!!!!

hehe, red bars on the sweatshirt. Oh, the shame...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CuongNhuka,

Focus IMMENSELY on your physical conditioning right now, because it will help you both with the Raiders as well as with your future plans.

As you improve your cardio-fitness, you will be able to better control your heart rate and breathing.

The better you can control your heart rate and breathing, the better marksman you will be...both with the Raiders and with The Corps.

A serious dedication to weight loss and cardio-fitness will not be quick, but it can be done if you pledge yourself to making it happen.

Good luck, and go get 'em.

Fang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Try to get to a point where your 'rest' is when you're on the run meaning running... Let the corps show you how to shoot you will be dealing with different weapons that have different trigger pressures and different types of recoil. Work on your rotc sure but be very open to instruction when it comes about.

Fang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Also you might pick up a vhs on marine corp rifle drills to get a jump start. Lots of third world countries train their troops with wooden rifles or even sticks before the real thing. Learning to manipulate your weapon off range will also be an important part of your units presentation.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last thing you want to try to do is learn "a little shooting." The USMC will teach you to shoot; they've mastered teaching people to be expert rifle marksmen in short order. The hardest person to teach shooting is someone who "can already shoot." They have so many undesired and unproductive habits that have to be overcome that many firearms instructors hate working with them...

For now, I'd concentrate on PT instead of worrying about shooting. And have fun with the Raider Team.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then you would probably be better served working on your pt skills than your shooting skills I.M.O. When I was in the service, the slow/heavy guys got dogged mercilessly. You don't want to be the last in anything in that type of organization.

I'm not actlualy fat (pudgy I'll give you). I just used that as an example. I'm a great sprinter, but I have a hard time with distance. And like I said, I still need to worry about it for Raider team.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I was in the Corps I spent some time wrking as marksmanship instrutor and even took a group of recruits through their first time at the range. The best thing you can do is let the Corps show you how to shoot if you do not know how at the moment!!! The worst to teach are the people who are sure they already know how to shoot!!!!! You can not get any better training then what you wil then!!!

How does running help me with point shooting in the mean time? I know (sorta) how to fire. I just need practice. I know what you guys are saying though. I got some Army buddys, maybe I'll get them to give me some one-on-one practice. 2 marksman, 3 experts in the Army. Granted one is a guardsman, LOL.

Latest Discussions