Sensei YouTube?

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So here's the story: I really want to learn judo grappling techniques, but the nearest open dojo is almost an hour away from me. I've been wanting to do this for a long time, but there's no way to fit the commute time into my schedule.

So what have I been doing instead? I looked up the promotion requirements for USA Judo and USJA, then I looked up the grappling techniques on YouTube - and then I practice them on my 15 year old daughter. She doesn't like it, but she's a good sport. I offer her the chance to get "revenge" by letting her do the techniques on me, but she refuses.

I don't care about being a "credentialed" judoka. I just want to learn how to do the techniques.

What are your thoughts?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will take you ten times as long to learn anything, and there is a good chance you'll still be doing it wrong.

OP
Urban Trekker

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It will take you ten times as long to learn anything, and there is a good chance you'll still be doing it wrong.
No doubt. I'm positive that there would be nuances that instructors would be looking for on a test that I'd be missing.

But my focus is getting the person from Point A (standing) to Point B (on the ground).

Judo just isn't as readily an available martial art as others, and I know of no plans for a judo dojo to open up in my town any time soon. YouTube is all I have for now.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So here's the story: I really want to learn judo grappling techniques, but the nearest open dojo is almost an hour away from me. I've been wanting to do this for a long time, but there's no way to fit the commute time into my schedule.

So what have I been doing instead? I looked up the promotion requirements for USA Judo and USJA, then I looked up the grappling techniques on YouTube - and then I practice them on my 15 year old daughter. She doesn't like it, but she's a good sport. I offer her the chance to get "revenge" by letting her do the techniques on me, but she refuses.

I don't care about being a "credentialed" judoka. I just want to learn how to do the techniques.

What are your thoughts?
Sometimes the options are very limited in a situation like yours. My first question is what are the available schools near you? Possibly one of them could offer the same skills you are looking for. Especially since you are not worried about credentials or being qualified by the tournament rules. A lot of the skills translate. Possibly an Aikido, Krav, or Kenpo school?

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No doubt. I'm positive that there would be nuances that instructors would be looking for on a test that I'd be missing.

But my focus is getting the person from Point A (standing) to Point B (on the ground).

Judo just isn't as readily an available martial art as others, and I know of no plans for a judo dojo to open up in my town any time soon. YouTube is all I have for now.
well you have to run with what youve got, there may come a point sooner rather than later where you need to substitute a resistance fully grown man for a compliant female child

perhaps leaflet the area to see if there are any volunteers

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a solid background in similar techniques? If so, this might work. If you have no grapppiing background, see if you can find anything with solid fundamentals (easiest to determine when they have some resistive training) to build a foundation.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As Ive said in countless similar discussions: Video as the primary or only method of instruction is not a good idea. Video can be an excellent supplemental tool for those who are already receiving good instruction.

so I don’t recommend it.

OP
Urban Trekker

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
well you have to run with what youve got, there may come a point sooner rather than later where you need to substitute a resistance fully grown man for a compliant female child

perhaps leaflet the area to see if there are any volunteers

My daughter is 5'9" and weighs 190 lb, so I've got a decent weight/size to work with for now.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
My daughter is 5'9" and weighs 190 lb, so I've got a decent weight/size to work with for now.
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

190 lbs , she would be better off going for a jog

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are trying to learn Judo throws from youtube... with no real instruction... I would be worried about uke. Does your uke (the person you are throwing) know how to take the falls correctly? What surface are you using to throw her on to? Do you know when she is or is not taking the fall right? I would be worried more about injuring your uke than I would be about missing a few nuances. (of coarse a lot of the nuances you are missing are the ones that keep uke from getting broke)

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

What are your thoughts?
Learning Judo from YouTube is not ideal. YouTube may give you an explanation of the techniques but it will not have the benefit of a proper pedagogy from going to a good school and learning the progression of techniques. You also need to prepare the body for Judo. Learning how to fall properly and safely is something that needs to be practiced at each opportunity. Guided practice is the best as there is someone there to give you feedback. Your body also needs to be accustomed to throwing people and being thrown. There is also learning the concept of 'kazushi' which is central to the idea of Judo.

It is not all about having credentials. It is about learning an art without stumbling around through trial and error. Hopefully you will also avoid needless injury that will stop you from pursuing the art of your choice.

MadMartigan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree. Learning proper falling technique is critical to both of your safety.
That said, let's assume you have that side of things covered. While you can't commute to this school an hour away all the time; can you do it sometimes?
Perhaps a middle ground of booking some private lessons with the sensei there and periodic group classes can split some of the difference. Then YouTube can be used as it's more intended for, a supplemental tool.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

What are your thoughts?
Honestly, I'm more worried about your relationship with your daughter. :D

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
As Ive said in countless similar discussions: Video as the primary or only method of instruction is not a good idea. Video can be an excellent supplemental tool for those who are already receiving good instruction.

so I don’t recommend it.
Depends on the goals for the training. Doesn't it?

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There is also learning the concept of 'kazushi' which is central to the idea of Judo.
And karate as well. Learning to break the opponent's balance structure is key to making most techniques actually work, whether grappling or striking. When one's moves do not seem to be having the intended effect, kazushi is not being employed.

Videos and kata do not teach this well as getting a feel for the opponent's body and entering the setup are sometimes subtle. In the case of karate kata, very difficult as kazushi is not often illustrated in the forms (and so has given the impression that katas are ineffective) and many practitioners do not know what lies between the lines. The knowledge of reading between the lines requires a well taught instructor, for, often, this is where the important stuff is found.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are trying to learn Judo throws from youtube... with no real instruction... I would be worried about uke. Does your uke (the person you are throwing) know how to take the falls correctly? What surface are you using to throw her on to? Do you know when she is or is not taking the fall right? I would be worried more about injuring your uke than I would be about missing a few nuances. (of coarse a lot of the nuances you are missing are the ones that keep uke from getting broke)
This is a good point. I didn't get around to this in my earlier reply from my phone. This is part of that grappling foundation that would be really important before trying too much self-study.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. Learning proper falling technique is critical to both of your safety.
That said, let's assume you have that side of things covered. While you can't commute to this school an hour away all the time; can you do it sometimes?
Perhaps a middle ground of booking some private lessons with the sensei there and periodic group classes can split some of the difference. Then YouTube can be used as it's more intended for, a supplemental tool.
This kind of "study group" format has been used successfully at times. I think it has a lot of advantages over only using video.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

What are your thoughts?

When se can drop you with those moves. Then you have learned the technique.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

She is 15. He could probably swing her around like a handbag. Let her down gently.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
She is 15. He could probably swing her around like a handbag. Let her down gently.
You are correct! He can swing her around like a 190 pound handbag and let her down gently. There is still greater potential for injury, since neither one knows what they are doing... and 190 pounds coming over your shoulder is still 190 pounds coming over your shoulder and hitting the ground. Doesn't matter if she is 15 or 25... if she puts her hand out to reach for the mat, hits her head on the ground, lands on her shoulder, allows her knees bounce off her face.... she still gets injured.