Self-knowledge? do you seek it?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Do many of you seek additional knowledge and have your own library of Book and training videos? Read alot of MA magazines, there use be a kinds in KONA,Hawaii. But sales were slow. Can only find Black Belt Magazine now.

Have you found it added whole lot to your training or just a small amount and can you share something you learn?

Example: One article said: Secret of head butts? ...keep your eyes open and use your body to move the head.

We use the fist for many of our head strikes in our Kempo classes. BUT many of books/videos recommend PALM strikes instead (no broken hand here) for hitting someone face/head.

Do you have your own library? ............Aloha

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a collection that gets as big as my wife will allow me at a time. Seriously, I'm like a sponge with the things that I enjoy. (As is apparent by the questions I ask here). I wish someone would do a documentary film on the early Kwans of TKD & early history of other arts. I really love history.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i have a medium-to-large print library and a small video library. also a list of internet bookmarks so big it hardly does its job anymore.

i find re-reading and re-watching stuff is immensely useful, both because you can catch details and also because if you read or watch something again years later, you've changed as a person and come to it from a fresh perspective.

and don't discount the value of fiction. good fiction is really only thinly disguised philosophy.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a ton of stuff, books, videos, print-outs, notes. Taekwondo Times used to be at the local book store, but no longer, I have to subscribe. But I find alot more info on martial talk than waiting for a bi-monthly publication.

I tried to bring in books for others to look at, at our dojang, check out, but no-one was apparently interested. Most, 96% don't even know about other martial arts or Kukkiwon, WTF etc. and 2% because I told them. Most would just rather accept what knowledge our master doles out. I am the only one I know who writes down the self-defense and gives it out to others so they can review for testing etc. even for the 3rd dan, who is ahead of me in rank. I think knowledge is power, whatever the source or source (s). TW

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, Do many of you seek additional knowledge and have your own library of Book and training videos? Read alot of MA magazines, there use be a kinds in KONA,Hawaii. But sales were slow. Can only find Black Belt Magazine now.

Have you found it added whole lot to your training or just a small amount and can you share something you learn?

Example: One article said: Secret of head butts? ...keep your eyes open and use your body to move the head.

We use the fist for many of our head strikes in our Kempo classes. BUT many of books/videos recommend PALM strikes instead (no broken hand here) for hitting someone face/head.

Do you have your own library? ............Aloha
Self knowledge is the best knowlegde. Why? Because being told is possibly being lied to, to see is to possibly be decieved, and to feel is to know.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Still Learning I believe evry trus Martial Artist has there Library with all the material they can find, I personally over the years have found thousand of book, magazines and video from everything from basic tech. to weapons and understanding ones own chi or Ki powers withen yourself. Self learning is in everybody best interest.
Terry

Latest Discussions