Head butting is this taught to you?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, How many of you learn about how to do head butting in your self-defense? and the many attacks using the head butts? up, down, sideways?

Also do you learn about biting? scratching? and pinching while doing self-defense? also to use in grappling?

Do you actully practice these? and are you aware to use them?

ONE TIP: Always keep your eyes opening when doing head butts! if not ..you will learn why?

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess we practiced head butting once as an optional part of a routine under a visiting instructor. The tiger paw is part of our curriculum, but is primarily used for grabbing the face, not scratching.

I have used a head butt in self defence once and all I can say is that it works. Note that I made up with the other guy later. :cheers:

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, How many of you learn about how to do head butting in your self-defense? and the many attacks using the head butts? up, down, sideways?

Also do you learn about biting? scratching? and pinching while doing self-defense? also to use in grappling?

Do you actully practice these? and are you aware to use them?

ONE TIP: Always keep your eyes opening when doing head butts! if not ..you will learn why?
I think that head butting, biting, and scratching should be the first thing you learn for self defence. These are the most natural/effective self defence techniques.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
we don't practice headbutts.

Too many stupid people look up at the target and do a face plant.

We don't do bites, you never know what's in someone's blood. You can't avoid them bleeding, but you dont need to get it in your mouth.

When it comes to scratching, I guess we do a little, but its more of clawing, and its all to the eyes.

EDIT

Gary Crawford said:
Q: What do you call a guy who fights fair? A: LOOSER!!!

Do you mean a loser?
You only have to strike first, and viciously, and you should win. You do everything you can to avoid a fight, but once you pass the point of no return, do everything you can to win.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yes we teach it and we also allow it when sparring if you miss you get popped most of the time.
It is a tech that has its place and time in many situations and i think it need to be included in teaching the arts

G

Gary Crawford

thanks for catching my spelling error!! LOL!! I always keep the head butt in mind,but never use it while training. I think of it as a real fight technique only as well as eye strikes,groin strikes and biting.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Never been taught it, but I've used it...never real good with the punching and the like but my head is huge and solid...go with what you've got, eh?:2pistols:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess my 1st post got lost in the system. So second try, yes, we are taught headbutting, front, back and up, not sideways, don't know how this is done. We don't do it in sparring, only in self-defense work. We also do alot of headbutting boards and some even do concrete-hard heads. TW

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Headbutts with the right parts of the head, if taught correctly are effective - so yes we teach that one

Bitting - since hiv and other blood transmittable diseases, we have stopped teaching this, though i do talk about where to bite

scratching- mainly clawing type moves to weak areas

pinching - from grapples is also effective

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Head-butting we've done in terms of particular defenses in particular situations,but not as a general purpose technique to drill

Pinching, yes. Biting and scratching, no (we punch barehanded so keep our nails short anyway to avoid hurting ourselves by punching with long nails digging into our own palm)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
still learning said:

Like everything, its important to know the right way and wrong way to do this.

More good tools to have. Dirty little tricks to buy you some time between moves. As for the biting...I'd have to say that I'd do that only as a last resort.

Mike

Latest Discussions