Self Defense

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When you start to teach SD to a group do you begin with pre-arranged movements and go from there or is everything spontanious and on the spot.

We always start with pre-arranged movements and go from there dependng on the students understanding of the application being tought.
Terry

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
When you start to teach SD to a group do you begin with pre-arranged movements and go from there or is everything spontanious and on the spot.

We always start with pre-arranged movements and go from there dependng on the students understanding of the application being tought.
Terry

Your approach sounds great. However, I've always started out with 6-8 basic combatives techniques and blocking drills before moving onto set self-defence combinations. I really don't think it matters either way, provided the instruction is good.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Our beginners (white belts) start with learning how to fall properly (from our Yudo & Hapkido lineage). At their level they learn defense against 10 situations, most of which involve a takedown: wrist grabs (same side, opposite, both wrists), rear bear hug (arms pinned and free), front bear hug (arms pinned and free), full nelson, rear choke, front choke, lapel grab, and fundamental side throw (Hapkido). These are all practiced in a pre-arranged setting. Each rank following white belt learn additional situations.

Later, we incorporate drills that are more spontaneous, including random grabs from behind while walking and random self-defense in the dark (lights out), etc.

R. McLain

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We do pre-arranged sets 2-3 of different self-defense combinations. Each belt has to demonstrate them for their test and at red-half of them, black all of them. I also learned alot of other stuff from Saturday kickboxing/self-defense classes from the master which I in turn teach. We mix up the attacks but nothing in the dark. TW

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I feel it's important to help them understand essential concepts, even over the techniques themselves. The techniques should simply incorporate the concept.

It's amazing how many people don't consider such things as how easily a person can be thrown when the opponent's head moves sharply off the vertical axis of the hips or how a joint lock to a finger initiates severe pain and distraction.

I talk about these sort of concepts first as well as such things as distance, body angles, etc. From there it is much easier to teach the person the application of the techniques desired.