Jhoon Rhee's Books

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone read any of Jhoon Rhee's books on the TKD patterns (ITF)? Do they contain potential applications for the various techniques contained within each pattern, or do they only show the patterns themselves? I'm a "bunkai" junkie and the more interpretation I can get on potential uses for each technique, the happier I am.

Taekwon.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember reading them years ago. I remember them being helpful. The hard thing about them now-a-days is the the ITF has changed the way they interpret those forms, now. So I'm not sure how helpful the books would be if you were trying to train the ITF way.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jhoon Rhee's book didn't mention the "sine wave". It wasn't around in the ITF back then. The sine wave is a debateable subject w/in the ITF now, too.

The ITF folks that I've worked w/ love to take apart a form piece by piece & disect it. But I don't know that they'd agree w/ Jhoon Rhee's interpretation of the forms.

That said, his books are still quite valueable for the way the forms are presented. IMO

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
Jhoon Rhee's book didn't mention the "sine wave". It wasn't around in the ITF back then. The sine wave is a debateable subject w/in the ITF now, too.

The ITF folks that I've worked w/ love to take apart a form piece by piece & disect it. But I don't know that they'd agree w/ Jhoon Rhee's interpretation of the forms.

That said, his books are still quite valueable for the way the forms are presented. IMO

Excellent summation! :)

I'm sitting right now with a copy of Master Rhee's "Chon-Ji" (first in the series) and it DOES give applications to each and every technique in the form. The book is incredible - particularly given that you can probably pick it up used on Amazon.com for less than $5.00 as I did. Also, "quickie" BB's from McDojangs can thumb through it and see what TKD looks like when the forms are done with technical excellence and correct movement. Definitely a worthy series!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would agree - I've seen several of the volumes in the series, and while some of the technical details have changed, the step-by-step pictures for each tul are quite useful too, in addition to the applications that are given.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The ITF just like every one else is having internal problems, too bad for our Art. I wish it was 25 years ago and we could all stage a love in and train together. That would be too cool.
Terry

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
The ITF just like every one else is having internal problems, too bad for our Art. I wish it was 25 years ago and we could all stage a love in and train together. That would be too cool.
Terry

Oh, man, I agree! I'm really in a pickle as I'm not interested in learning Olympic TKD, don't want to join an American style commercial dojang and can't find a local traditional school that fits my needs (there is one, but it has, IMO, some problems). Right now, the only thing I can do is refresh myself on the first ten ITF forms (as far as I got) and practice them on my own. For this, Master Rhee's books are indespensible refreshers.

The Master Rhee books are classics on the ITF forms, though, no doubt about it.

BTW, the first thing that I saw when I got my used Chon-Ji book used from Amazon.com and saw Master Rhee of 30+ years ago demonstrating the forms was that this is Korean Karate, not sport TKD! Nothing wrong with sport, just that I miss the old stuff.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, its sad with everyone in the ITF grabbibg for power when the General died. Greed is powerful.

Jhoon Rhee wasn't part of the ITF, but he appreciated their forms. (I'm sure he still does, as he's still alive). I think it would be great if all of TKD got together & said, "Let's share our common love for our common art." Instead, I've made my own federation & you have your's across the street. But we'll go to each other's tourneys after our laywers draw up the agreement. *insert puke icon*