Self Defense against Pirates

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
IMO, If someone really thinks they're going to fight off modern-day pirates all by their lonesome, they're fooling themselves. These people have the advantage of experience and are probably much better armed than you can be (unless you can obtain full-autos and RPGs).

Sail your boat in safer waters...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. This thread is bringing forth all sorts of thoughts. Maybe the Road Warrior scenario that people predict will occur at sea? Maybe in an era of decreased naval power we see an increase in piracy? Are there any agencies you can call upon when you are in international waters? Or are you basically on your own?

In which case, I would arm myself to the teeth.

Open water. It's always been "open water," and there have always been pirates in that part of the world-the Sulu sea, the South China Sea, the Indian Ocean. Who are you gonna call? The INTERPOL Maritime Branch? Wrong. You're out there on your own, pretty much-help could be hundreds if not thousands of miles away-literally, though, a happy coincedence could occur, and someone might be close. "Armed to the teeth" is relative, and running away isn't always an option-the MO for a lot of these guys is to put out Zodiacs or other fast moving small craft when they get close enough, and board from those-in any case, most sailing vessels don't have much of a chance of getting away from them; they're just not fast enough.

They probably knew who the kid was, though, and just wanted a closer look.......

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, If someone really thinks they're going to fight off modern-day pirates all by their lonesome, they're fooling themselves. These people have the advantage of experience and are probably much better armed than you can be (unless you can obtain full-autos and RPGs).

Sail your boat in safer waters...

There really are no such thing as "safer waters." Yacht piracy happens in the Caribbean, Mediterranean, and off the coast of South America, often to vessels in port or at anchor, but also on the high seas. These are not the sort of "professional" pirates that attack merchant vessels in the South Seas and off the African coasts, and are usually lightly armed. In areas like the one where this boy is, yachts are infrequently targets for piracy, as evidenced by their simply checking him out and letting him go-I'd really bet they knew who he was and were just curious. In any case, the best assumption if confronted by pirates is that you'll be killed, and to be prepared to defend yourself accordingly.

A rifle offers a lot more for the sailor than a shotgun, though they do have their uses. Pirates generally turn away from boats that offer resistance-they're not in business to get killed, and, like I said, they usually attack in small craft that offer little cover from rifle fire. The best bet, like others have said, is to avoid coastal trouble spots, though that becomes difficult when nearing port, especially in South America or the seas where this boy was-why sail near Indonesia without coming into port, especially if you need supplies or repairs?

On the other hand, I wouldn't get within 200 miles of Somalia if I could avoid it....

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That’s it, after reading through this post I have decided the only thing I can do to be safe form pirates, the next time I circumnavigate the world by sea, is go in this

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b363/deltlaboy/Nerpa.jpg
Nerpa.jpg

And of course it will be manned mostly by ninjas :ninja:

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a student who sailed around the world with his mother and father. Actually, he sailed with his parents for a total of 10 years before they made port in Hawaii and settled. Anyway, on the trip, there were attacked by Pirates three times.

Once, when his father picked up the boat in the Carribean. The boat was sitting in port and was boarded at night by two men in a small boat. The father drove the men off the boat and they came back with weapons. The pirates knocked the dad out and stole all of their electronic equipment.

The next time, they were attacked, they were sailing through the Straights of Malacca. A large boat hailed them and presented rocket launchers and heavily armed men. They pulled up along side, but then changed their mind when they saw that the boat had nearly nothing of value.

The last time, was off the coast of Somalia. Some fishing boats pulled off their runs and gave chase. They were armed with AK-47s. In defense, the sail boat ran long lines of fishing line out behind their boat. The pirates turned away in order to not get the line wrapped around their props. Every time they circled, they were able to turn their sailboat so that the lines would trail in their path.

As far as arms go, these guys sailed around the world for 10 years without a single gun. Although, it was talked about that they should purchase something, they just never did. That seems crazy to me, especially when they had the experiences they did.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
IThe last time, was off the coast of Somalia. Some fishing boats pulled off their runs and gave chase. They were armed with AK-47s. In defense, the sail boat ran long lines of fishing line out behind their boat. The pirates turned away in order to not get the line wrapped around their props. Every time they circled, they were able to turn their sailboat so that the lines would trail in their path.

Wise idea!

You guys remember the Ninja and TETSU-BISHI (calthrops)? Now think of that for ships. Nets to fowl the props. Maybe with a float/weight balance to keep them a foot or two below the water so they don't see them in time.

Add to that a fast boat, few light weapons like a Remington 870 stainless marine and Ruger stainless GP-100 (that may manual repeaters, less trouble than automatics) and make the boat appear not to have valuables on board.

In short, acting like you would do if you were in a bad part of an unknown city!

Deaf

gilgsn

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello, that's an interesting question, as I am into sailing... I once met a British guy in Manilla. he was a sailor. I asked him if he was worried about pirates. He then went to his bedroom and came back with a Belgian FAL assault rifle and said: "Well, you come on deck like this, and make sure you smile and show them your rifle. They ask you if you want to buy some fish, you say no thanks, and they leave." That answer surprised me. He explained that pirates hate been shot at (who does..!?) so they go for the easy preys.. I am not sure it is always true, personally, I probably wouldn't count on it. My first line of defense: A good pair of binoculars. You need to know what their intentions are; do they have weapons? Disregarding the fact that most countries will arrest you for having a gun on board, I would have a reliable semi-auto rifle in .308 (for range), like an M-14 or Saiga in that caliber. The Saiga is based on the AK, so, probably very reliable. The .223 (5.56mm) won't penetrate as well as a .308 or equivalent .30. I would not suggest a scope. With the boats moving, you'd never be able to find theirs in your scope. You would have to practice a lot to get good with open sights in a choppy sea. Have lots of magazines, check their prices before buying the rifle. Oh, and forget handguns for pirates (not thiefs who board you at anchor). I heard once the saying "To a gunfight, bring a rifle and friends with rifles." With a handgun, you'd probably miss the pirate boat entirely. Shooting a stationary target when you're stationary is easy. Shooting a moving target when you're moving is a nightmare.

If the rifle I chose was also made of stainless steel, I'd get that model.. Keep it oiled and clean. Even stainless steel does rust. Also, keep in mind that shooting the gun is the easy part. Handling it, loading it, changing magazines and aiming in different positions is what requires the most practice. I would practice at sea a lot. Getting it out, loading, getting on deck, taking cover etc..

I would instruct the non-combattants to lay flat at the bottom of the boat below the waterline, since 2-3 feet of water will stop a rifle bullet (don't believe television). They should be the ones with handguns, not you up there on deck.

By the way, if I didn't have a gun, I would have a few glass bottles full of gasoline handy, with a rag in them, as well as a Zippo in my pocket.. Let them get close..

Other considerations: In some countries, the police/coast guards double-up as pirates during their free time! Don't count on your word to get you out of jail. This may sound harsh, but if I survived an encounter, meaning they didn't, I'd sink their boat with the bodies secured in it. If I didn't have time to call for help before, I wouldn't after.. Again, depending on location.

You need to learn about the law in the waters you sail in. The law on the books, but also the way it is practiced, or not, and how you could maybe get out with a bribe (very risky in some places, it could make things worse for you). Some guns are more "politically correct" than others. Some countries allow shotguns with one or two shots, manual. Sometimes bolt action rifles are allowed. Make sure you don't spent time in prison and lose your boat for having a gun.

I heard another funny story about a guy who was boarded by a group of armed men in the Carribeans. They seemed to want food and water (he didn't speak their language), so the boat owner gave them some meat and whatever else he had to eat. Before leaving, the leader gave him the only thing he had to thank him, a grenade!

So, you never know.. Some people survived pirate encounters by not resisting, some were brutally killed not resisting, and some survived shooting back.. Every situation is different.

Gil.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
There is no safe answer, if they put zodiacs in the water which most do, then you have a chance with small arms of repelling them while trying to escape and escape is the best option while radioing someone, moving away at best possible speed, might not be much, but it's better then sitting there waiting.

Other then that, Kempo had it right, your pretty much screwed no matter what. Best bet is not to be there or to know the waters and where you sailing the best that you can.

Latest Discussions