Kubaton, Flashlights, Pens and Other Small Impact Devices

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The above mentioned items are things that some people carry with them on a daily basis. They all are small, compact things, that don't take up much room, and can easily be slipped into a pocket.

For those that carry these items, what is your opinion on them for use in self defense?

IMO, I think that they're very effective, and if trained properly, they can be used in a variety of self defense situations, and best of all, they're all pretty much legal to carry. They can be used to hit certain pressure points on the body, against a strike, such as a punch, ie: gunting for those that study the FMAs, and the flashlight, especially if its something like this, can be used to momentarily blind someone, giving you a chance to escape.

Thoughts?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The above mentioned items are things that some people carry with them on a daily basis. They all are small, compact things, that don't take up much room, and can easily be slipped into a pocket.

For those that carry these items, what is your opinion on them for use in self defense?

IMO, I think that they're very effective, and if trained properly, they can be used in a variety of self defense situations, and best of all, they're all pretty much legal to carry. They can be used to hit certain pressure points on the body, against a strike, such as a punch, ie: gunting for those that study the FMAs, and the flashlight, especially if its something like this, can be used to momentarily blind someone, giving you a chance to escape.

Thoughts?

Master Steve Materkowski, Colorado State director for the Combat Hapkido Federation has this DVD called "Light Em Up". Techniques for the tactical light, and the first move of the techniques is to flash the light in the suspects eyes...The brighter the light the more it will momentary incompacitate the subject...Personally I carry a Kubaton 24/7 along with a Pro-Tek key http://www.pps-selfdefense.com and a very bright tactical light when on duty...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love my small tactical flashlight for defense. It is simply effective. The ability to take someones night vision away should never be underestimated. Besides that it is also a handy impact tool.
icon6.gif

Bobby135

Orange Belt
Reaction score
With my side job as a bouncer I carry a Coast tactical flashlight and a pointed mini-koga from Cold Steel. I use the flashlight daily so the $50.00 investment was well worth it for walking my dogs and usage at work. I think they are great tools to have anyways, expecially having the knowledge to use them.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With my side job as a bouncer I carry a Coast tactical flashlight and a pointed mini-koga from Cold Steel. I use the flashlight daily so the $50.00 investment was well worth it for walking my dogs and usage at work. I think they are great tools to have anyways, expecially having the knowledge to use them.

Back during my bouncer days the tatical lights were not as small as they are today..I carried a Kubotan, VERY effective as a come along..My bosses were not all that happy with it as they view it as a weapon, until they saw me use it...

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only dedicated/purpose-designed impact weapon that I carry is a flat-sap (shot filled, about 10 oz. in weight). My flashlight is primarily an illumination tool but could easily be pressed into service as an impact device.

championmarius

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My keys live on a paracord lanyard, makes a wonderful little surprise flail. I also religiously carry a stainless steel Parker Jotter. wonderful pen, and doubles as a wicked impact weapon. I had a nice Maglite mini, until I misplaced it, haven't gotten around to replacing it yet.

But I do tend to go a bit gear heavy, I carry alot of stuff with which to bludgeon/beat/injure others with. Karambit ACD, Kubaton, flailkeys, flashlight, pen, teflon plate in my wallet, folded knives.... I like options. :)
Seriously though, each has its place, and I am sure that I can get to at least one of them from any postion/situation I may find myself in.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another cop trainer buddy gave me a Sharkie..It looks like a Sharpie Pen except supersized...The applications are limited only to your imagination..

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
also religiously carry a stainless steel Parker Jotter. wonderful pen, and doubles as a wicked impact weapon

I carry those on duty...

But I do tend to go a bit gear heavy, I carry alot of stuff with which to bludgeon/beat/injure others with. Karambit ACD, Kubaton, flailkeys, flashlight, pen, teflon plate in my wallet, folded knives.... I like options. :)
Seriously though, each has its place, and I am sure that I can get to at least one of them from any postion/situation I may find myself in.

I bet the TSA boys would have a field day if you forgot to unload before you fly...LOL
icon10.gif
The only thing not posted on their No-No Board is the Pro-Tek key and I have carried my CaneMaster Combat Cane onboard the aircraft...

Last edited:

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree that these items can be very useful, but I'm also for training to use other things that can easily be held and carried or that someone may have with them at any point. For instance a ball point pen or something like that.

I especially like the high-impact flashlight you gave a link too Mike.
That's nice!!!

Your Brother
John

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only dedicated/purpose-designed impact weapon that I carry is a flat-sap (shot filled, about 10 oz. in weight). My flashlight is primarily an illumination tool but could easily be pressed into service as an impact device.

I have one and they are sweet..The department says its a No-No for on duty carry....

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Montblanc fountain pen. Solid and take the cap off and nice sharp tip.

It would be a sin to ruin such an excellent writing instrument.. However if it's them or me, bye bye Montblanc...

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I keep a kubaton on my keychain and LOVE it. Actually managed to get on a plane, too.

Bodhisattva

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Thoughts?

If you aren't already a better boxer than me, your kubotan won't help you much.

If you are already a better boxer than me, you won't much need a kubotan.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only thing not posted on their No-No Board is the Pro-Tek key and I have carried my CaneMaster Combat Cane onboard the aircraft...

Haven't run in to an issue with the Pro-Tek key when I fly.

I also like the fact that most people don't know what it is when they see it on my key ring.

With the exception....of my director at work, who is an old army guy. He saw my keys out on my desk, pointed to the Pro-Tek and said "Boy! That'll dent a skull or too..." :roflmao: :roflmao:

Latest Discussions