Security Guards switching unarmed to armed..

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the UK we are poorly trained under government courses, so we rely on other skills

Speak for yourself lol I've been excellently taught on all aspects of security, weapons, surviving edged weapons, controlling aggression, taking down suspects. surveillance..................................etc etc etc.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speak for yourself lol I've been excellently taught on all aspects of security, weapons, surviving edged weapons, controlling aggression, taking down suspects. surveillance..................................etc etc etc.

Huh, yeah of course, you have the advantage there and respect due. Me, yeah yeah whatever :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would be an idea. I did try for the PCSO's, but have a criminal record so got knocked back. Tbh, I deal with enough electronic paperwork as it is :D

What's electronic paperwork or even paperwork, that's what the admin people are for lol.

Crazy Eyes

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As an unarmed mall cop, I don't find the lack of a gun to be a hindrance. When push comes to shove, I bring the crazy.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As an unarmed mall cop, I don't find the lack of a gun to be a hindrance. When push comes to shove, I bring the crazy.

What is a 'mall cop'? over here only police officers can call themselves 'cops ie police officers, it's an offence to impersonate a police officer.

Crazy Eyes

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What is a 'mall cop'? over here only police officers can call themselves 'cops ie police officers, it's an offence to impersonate a police officer.
While not actually a police officer, the bad guys do call us 'mall cops.' I'm quoting them more than I am trying to make myself seem more than I am.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While not actually a police officer, the bad guys do call us 'mall cops.' I'm quoting them more than I am trying to make myself seem more than I am.

Same over here. Well not as much as I have heard Americans use the term. Mind you though, the terms of endearment tend to be a little more profane that I have experienced lol.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you carry a gun you are making a statement. Therfore implying you will need to have more force to come at me. For example security has a glock so the aggressor brings a sawn off shotgun. Security may even get shot just for posing as a bigger threat than they would of been if unarmed
Sorry...but that's bull.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you carry a gun you are making a statement. Therfore implying you will need to have more force to come at me. For example security has a glock so the aggressor brings a sawn off shotgun. Security may even get shot just for posing as a bigger threat than they would of been if unarmed

This is one of the most ridiculous arguments I have heard. Possibly THE most ridiculous this month.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Generally, it's a sort of pejorative term for security officers working at a mall. Their duties, authorities, and professionalism range from squirrelly jokes up to folks who really take their job seriously and do it well.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since I've put my two cents in...

I don't know why the business switched to armed security. There could be a lot of reasons, ranging from government security requirements on a new contract, down to "just 'cause the owner/heads of the company wanted armed guards." In Virginia, there can be a small legal advantage, in that an armed guard has a little more arrest authority than an unarmed guard on the same property. I'd have to dig into the Code, but I don't think they're actually required to have a gun, only be a licensed, armed guard.

Personally, I'm not a fan of armed guards as a general rule -- unless the post or situation merits lethal force options. Here, a guards primary job is to observe and report, with limited duties and expectations of intervention. They're guards, not enforcers. That said, there are places where the guard needs to be armed. It may be a bad neighborhood, and it's for the guard's own protection from real threats. It may be the value of what they're protecting, and the likelihood that anyone trying to get into the place will be armed (armored car carriers, or high end jewelery shops, for example). Or that what they are protecting merits that level of protection -- like the guards at nuclear plants or protecting some highly classified material. In other words, like any other security decision, it's a balance of the risks involved against the need for protection.

RowdyAz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This is one of the most ridiculous arguments I have heard. Possibly THE most ridiculous this month.
That's the reasoning behind the laws in Australia. Don't shoot the messenger. Unlike some I'm not about to cry about it. We are more advanced than the mother country less crime, less idiots and far less hero's.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the reasoning behind the laws in Australia. Don't shoot the messenger. Unlike some I'm not about to cry about it. We are more advanced than the mother country less crime, less idiots and far less hero's.

Really? and what crime do we have that you don't we don't have that many idiots and our gun laws are on par with yours.......

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

The reasoning is insurance. It is cheaper for a security guard to get hurt than for them to hurt a member of the public.

Well ok in part. There is much more nuance to this discussion.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

In Australia we cant lethal force everybody. So the rules are a bit different. It makes guns for protection a bit different.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not a thread debating to advantages / disadvantages of either or employment as such. More of an open ended question...

I work for a large company. My particular site / office of 400+ workers is in a suburban area, not high crime area, and with little violent crime in the area period. We have the standard swipe badges for all access points of the building. We have security guards and for the 5 years I have worked here, I have never seen them armed with a weapon nor have we have any kid of major incident. Most realistic threat is more likely an angry ex or possibly a disgruntled former employee

I'm walking behind one of the security guys in a hallway today and notice he has what looks like a handgun in a LEO type belt and holster. I don't see how it could be a taser unless there are models that closely resemble a composite frame handgun like a Glock. Now I am all for guns in the hands of responsible people; I own a few myself an carry when traveling eveen if not day to day. But something still irks me about our security suddenly switching from being unarmed to armed essentially overnight with no explanation..... or at the very least peaks my curiousity. There was no office email or memo that went out informing anyone, there was no change in security staffing I could see, no incidents that anyone was made aware of. So why the change?

Unless I am wrong, a lot of studies have shown the shooting accuracy of even seasoned police officers while under duress can be poor. Our security people are nice folks, but their primary job the entire time I've worked here is just monitoring people entering and exiting the building (handling lost badges, letting in authorized visitors, etc), and being prepared to call the police should &*%$ hit the fan (sub-station located under 1/2 mile away). The guy I saw today was a young guys in early 20s mostly likely. Its not like they are hiring seasoned security people with prior LE experience. So I'm not sure slapping a gun on them makes me feel any safer in actuality. Am I wrong?

Given that now days anyone at any time can walk in heavily armed I would feel better that they were visibly armed as a deterrent You should have no problem talking with security or HR. In fact if it is not authorized you have a duty to do that because the person could be a problem..

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Master Dan! haven't heard from you for a long time! Nice to see you :)

Latest Discussions