Security Guards switching unarmed to armed..

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apology accepted. I have a security license how about yourself. To be honest reading some of your posts I doubt you even train. Did you also know there is a 20 second reactionary gap between getting your gun out of the holster and being stabbed. There's a great instructor that you probably haven't heard of, his name is Dan Inosanto. He proves this. Keep studying

Bit unnecessary there. Transk is licensed in security. Here you have to train on a government recognised course and are licensed by a department overseen by the Home Office ( responsible for policing and security in this country) He also trains martial arts, and doesn't everyone know of Dan Inosanto?
Your comment was considered humorous, he replied in kind, no need to insult him.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds good in theory but that's the way it works in Australia kid. Not even bank security guards where guns here. And surprisingly they vary rarely get robbed.

If you look after money generally you only get insured if you have a gun.

So our guys carry.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is called "Laws" you know, those pesky little things that regulate such things

Is there a law that restricts security carrying guns over and above what is applicable to the general public?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Apology accepted. I have a security license how about yourself. To be honest reading some of your posts I doubt you even train. Did you also know there is a 20 second reactionary gap between getting your gun out of the holster and being stabbed. There's a great instructor that you probably haven't heard of, his name is Dan Inosanto. He proves this. Keep studying

20 second reactionary gap?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Woah fella slow down a bit here. You are starting to troll and be insulting. Yes I do train, but try lots of other things like Wing Chun for example. Second, I know exactly who Dan Inosanto is, in fact Miad Najafi whom teaches at Elements MA in Brighton trained at his academy recently. Oh BTW, I actually have two SIA security licences.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is there a law that restricts security carrying guns over and above what is applicable to the general public?
Yes. There are laws and requirements to be an armed security guard depending on the state.

OP
P

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you look after money generally you only get insured if you have a gun.

So our guys carry.
Interesting. Well there is no money on premises here, and nothing more valuable than desktop computers (would love to see someone try and run off with a few of those in hand). The only thing worth stealing would be customer's private information with what we do (insurance), and that would be done via hacking not breaking into an office.

So I am imagining some worst case scenario where an unstable or vengeful ex gets onto the property, tussles with security and ends up with a gun if security is not trained to deal with situations like that, or security goes trigger happy when something goes down if they have had zero training other than the short class everyone sits thru for their civilian concealed carry permit.

As far as laws to carry here, its not hard to get a permit for concealed carry in NC and only typical restrictions exist (no private guns in government buildings, etc). I just figured there has to be a whole slew of regulation for armed security though, due to liability and whatnot.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Frankly, you don't sound like you have any training with, or understanding of firearms or their use. It sounds like you have a little bit of knowledge and you're awfully proud of it.

Don't be in such a hurry to be right. Being wrong doesn't affect anyone's perception of you; only being disrespectful does that. And, your post struck me as very disrespectful.

In any case, I mean that all as friendly advice. Welcome to MT.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sensitive.

I admit when I'm wrong 21 feet. Sorry for the misinformation. I finally made a mistake, you guys witnessed it here first
I'm still trying to figure out what Guru Insanto has to do with the Tueller drill. Is he a LEO defensive tactics instructor? And I think you were thinking of the 1/4 second rule

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out what Guru Insanto has to do with the Tueller drill. Is he a LEO defensive tactics instructor? And I think you were thinking of the 1/4 second rule

No it is the 21 foot rule or tueller drill. Dan insanto was part of a defensive tactics video. Surviving edged weapons? That is pretty common in security courses.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was referring to the 1/4 second rule which is related to OODA. The general rule us that it will take a quarter second for your brain to go through the OODA loop. I am not sure If that concept still holds true or Is taught but that is what I was taught.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it is the 21 foot rule or tueller drill. Dan insanto was part of a defensive tactics video. Surviving edged weapons? That is pretty common in security courses.

Yeah that would be in OZ right. In the UK we are poorly trained under government courses, so we rely on other skills. Perhaps the OP is misinformed. Perhaps suggest a slight is a slight :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
NYS has different levels of security and each level requires more training

Unarmed Security Guard
Armed Security Guard
Security Officer
Peace Officer
Police Officer

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah that would be in OZ right. In the UK we are poorly trained under government courses, so we rely on other skills. Perhaps the OP is misinformed. Perhaps suggest a slight is a slight :)

yeah. I mentioned that specifically to insult all of England.

Hunt down the video. It is not too bad. Bit cheesy by todays standards.

Anyway the 21 foot rule is that it takes about 21 feet to shoot a fast guy enough to stop him before he gives you the stabbing. Meaning you can't necessarily rely on a gun to defend a knife.

It is hotly contested especially In places like America where they think guns cure baldness.

And New Zealanders have funny words for Things.

Latest Discussions