Science Fiction Comes Closer to Reality

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For several decades now there has been the whiff of a promise in the air that we are close to having weaponry that does not use the power of expanding gas to propel a solid projectile at the target.

I have to confess that I have long been a proponent of the idea that a good dose of kinetic energy is as good a way as any of despatching an enemy but the drive to invent and create continues to inspire scientists and engineers and we now have the likes of these systems on the cusp of production:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20944726

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow! If this has anything to it that would be astounding - I suspect this part is the important bit:

you can greatly reduce the energy required

For the problem has ever been that, whilst our current level of understanding allows for the curving of space, the amount of power necessary was greater than was available by any conceivable means.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The fact that they're actually conducting lab experiments astounds me! A working warp capable ship would change a lot of outlooks I think. Probably give the radically religious something else to get angry about though. :)