Scary Movies

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm surprised that I no one has mentioned any of the Living Dead movies. The original Dawn of the Dead and the remake would be at the top of my list.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Romero movies go without saying man, it's a given. Just like in a thread about great fantasy novels there's no need to bring up JRRT, we all know LOTR stands pretty much above all.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Romero movies go without saying man, it's a given. Just like in a thread about great fantasy novels there's no need to bring up JRRT, we all know LOTR stands pretty much above all.
Yah but you should read all six-- nine volumes of Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series. Truly amazing books.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Funny Games, the original. No ghosts, just lots of diabolical mind games including messing with the 4th wall.
Anything by Alfred Hitchcock.
Murnau's Nosferatu. It's a silent movie (1922) but I got to see it a couple years ago with a live band doing an avant-garde jazz soundtrack. Damn near left a puddle on the floor.
Its modern-day followup, Shadow of the Vampire. Very low-tech, but the acting is some of the best I've ever seen. Willem Dafoe makes his vampire character totally believeable. Utterly creepy and alien, and yet oddly sympathetic too.
I love M Night Shyalaman's work too. Again, low-tech but very psychological. The viewer's imagination supplies more than any director or special effects wiz ever could. That's my kind of scary movie.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Funny Games, the original. No ghosts, just lots of diabolical mind games including messing with the 4th wall.
Anything by Alfred Hitchcock.
Murnau's Nosferatu. It's a silent movie (1922) but I got to see it a couple years ago with a live band doing an avant-garde jazz soundtrack. Damn near left a puddle on the floor.
Its modern-day followup, Shadow of the Vampire. Very low-tech, but the acting is some of the best I've ever seen. Willem Dafoe makes his vampire character totally believeable. Utterly creepy and alien, and yet oddly sympathetic too.
I love M Night Shyalaman's work too. Again, low-tech but very psychological. The viewer's imagination supplies more than any director or special effects wiz ever could. That's my kind of scary movie.

Diabolical mind games. I like it. :EG:

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yah but you should read all six-- nine volumes of Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series. Truly amazing books.

Read the first couple (3 or 4 maybe?) in this series a couple times (maybe 3...)

In a word: DEPRESSING. Good stuff, but depressing.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
er. Any movie but paranormal activity. I saw it and felt it was more of a comedy than a horror flick.

Wow. You're the first person I've heard say that. I still want to see it. What movie(s) do you think are scary?

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Some other ones that I haven't heard mentioned but are worth a check out are:

The Strangers: Might not necessarily be classified as a horror film by most, but still pretty creepy.

Drag me to Hell: A little too campy in a few spots, but ok.

Trick R Treat: Not the Heavy Metal 80's film, but the recent anthology that was released. Excellent movie IMHO.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Read the first couple (3 or 4 maybe?) in this series a couple times (maybe 3...)

In a word: DEPRESSING. Good stuff, but depressing.

Not to mention poorly, poorly written and boring.

There, I said it.
icon10.gif
I cannot for the life of me understand the fascination people have with this half-baked LotR rewrite.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Update on the movie advice:

I had watch both "The Eye" and "The Haunting in Connecticut" by myself.

Reason? GF said "Event Horizon" was the LAST scary movie she will watch :)

So, if you are looking for scary — yea, you gotta see it.

Interestingly, she didn't find "Jennifer's Body" to be scary and watched that one with me ...

Re: "The Eye" and "The Haunting in Connecticut"; they were both OK.

HALF-SPOILER ALERT::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Kind of neat that while they both of those films had creepiness to make them scary, they both managed upbeat endings — which I liked, for some reason.

Unlike "Room 1408" which has the more typical "give ya a scary feeling to take with you" after the movie ending ...

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also check out the giallo movies of the seventies, particularly those made by Dario Argento, Mario Bava, or Lucio Fulci. They're very gory, but there's a lot of atmosphere to them as well (in no small part thanks to the band Goblin, who did the soundtracks for Argento's movies.

Notable:
Suspiria
Deep Red
Tenebrae
Opera
Twitch of the Death Nerve
Zombi
City of the Living Dead

I'll say again: some of these are very gory.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Also check out the giallo movies of the seventies, particularly those made by Dario Argento, Mario Bava, or Lucio Fulci. They're very gory, but there's a lot of atmosphere to them as well (in no small part thanks to the band Goblin, who did the soundtracks for Argento's movies.

Notable:
Suspiria
Deep Red
Tenebrae
Opera
Twitch of the Death Nerve
Zombi
City of the Living Dead

I'll say again: some of these are very gory.

Zombi was probably one of the best zombie movies ever made, scared the heck out of me as a kid and for some reason that soundtrack still gives me goosebumps.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you like the Italian horror genere, I would also suggest Demons. Very bloody and gory and the atmosphere is totally creepy. There is a sequel to it which is also ok, but not quite as good as the original.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Drag me to Hell: A little too campy in a few spots, but ok.

Sam Raimi FTW! That dude's amazing, he's got one of the best directorial styles out there that works especially well in horror. His really fast moving "Raimi Cam" used to such great effect in his horror as well as Spider-Man, amazing work.

Also, another guy needs checking out is Guillermo Del Toro's first couple movies when he was in Mexico. Cronos, The Devil's Backbone, Mimic.

Oh, and as previously mentioned, Dario Argento. Italian horror on a whole is great.

As you can tell, I'm a nerd for sweet direction and cinematography. I'm planning on putting together a thread on (non horror) movies later on this evening after training.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you like the Italian horror genere, I would also suggest Demons. Very bloody and gory and the atmosphere is totally creepy. There is a sequel to it which is also ok, but not quite as good as the original.

Oh man, how did I forget that one? Great movie!

Re: Zombi, the trailer alone scared the bejayzus out of me as a kid. All it was was a picture of the zombie on the front cover with the creepy music playing over it. That's all it took, I was cowering behind the sofa.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh man, how did I forget that one? Great movie!

Re: Zombi, the trailer alone scared the bejayzus out of me as a kid. All it was was a picture of the zombie on the front cover with the creepy music playing over it. That's all it took, I was cowering behind the sofa.

Here's a trailer with that music... still creepy as hell.

Latest Discussions