Saying Hello to TKD Section: Introduction

Nick Stanovic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Everyone :)

I haven't logged in for awhile. I previously logged in and visited MartialTalk regarding info on Wing Chun. There was only one of those schools in my area, almost 30 miles away, and the school felt cramped and dark so I didn't stay more than the initial visit. There's a TKD school less than 5 miles away from my house though and TKD also interests me. I have not visited the school yet so I don't know if it is competition or self-defense oriented. I wouldn't mind doing the competition part but I'm hoping it is a school that could show real life applications for the material. Unfortunately their website (http://www.choistaekwondo.org/) provides no pictures or biographies, not sure if I even should call it a website.

I want to learn TKD for self-defense, confidence, fitness, and flexibility. Another reason I want to learn is due to footage I've seen on youtube and movies: It just looks really cool (that might be a lame reason). I'm a pretty skinny guy (5'10 155-160lbs) but I always thought I have strong legs and I figured that would be a good strength to have for the art. I recently saw Bangkok Knockout where one of the fighting styles used was TKD and I thought it looked pretty awesome too. Although it would be cool to be able to do crazy stuff, like Tornado Kick (I'd imagine after several years), to show off to my friend, my motivation is the more practical maneuvers for defense situations and just getting confidence that I can defend myself if I really needed to do it

I'm not sure when I'll visit the school but just wanted to say hello to everyone and let everyone know that I'll be browsing the forums trying to absorb information.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome. If you have any questions just post away, there's plenty of knowledgeable folks on here. Welcome to the Taekwondo family mate.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome and don't be afraid to ask any questions.

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey!
Welcome, Nick!
I'm glad to say here you can find a wonderful source of information and also of great fellowship, as I myself have found.
I hope you stay with us (and with taekwondo) all the way. Martial arts can probably give you all you're expecting from it, and it's likely to give you more.
One necessary variable that can make you advance faster is the amount of effort and dedication you put into your training and into the comprehension of your learnings.I'm sure you could be able to perform a tornado kick faster than you expect, as well as you can learn unexpected and great lessons and values.
You can be sure manny people have come to good accomplishments through martial arts training and living, and if you keep a strong will, you'll achieve great goals, too!
Regards,

Sérgio

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to the TKD section. Go ahead and visit that school and see if it's what you are looking for!

Latest Discussions