Sanda

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
However, grappling-based fighters like Khabib, Daniel Corimeir, Rousey, Shinya Aoiki, and Angela Lee are popular, and MMA trounces kickboxing in popularity. So again, I don’t see why the opinions of ignorant people matter much.
Whether they matter in terms of fighting ability are irrelevant. Obviously in an actual fight grappling ability is important. Just I saw this example seconds after me responding to your other post/me responding about people caring more about striking and viewing grappling as cuddling/humping.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What would be the purpose of that study? To show that people don’t know what they’re watching?

The simple reality is this; people enjoy the added element of ground fighting because it allows the possibility of breaking up a monotonous striking match. Just like striking allows the possibility of breaking up a monotonous grappling match. Given that, it’s not surprising that we have the results that we have.
The purpose of the study would be a marketing thing. In any competition, whether it be Pride, UFC, KOD, Karate Combat, WBF, etc., the most important thing to the people running them are how many people are watching. So if you could figure out what people are most interested in, you could change the rules to encourage that. If it's striking, you limit grappling to allow increased striking, encouraging what the fans are tuning in for. If it's grappling, you award more points to grappling, and you find ways to limit the impact of striking. If it's throws/takedowns, you award more points for throws/takedowns, while at the same time limit the ground game. If it's kicks, you limit the impact of punches (looking at KKW here). Even in boxing, if infighters are more exciting than outboxers, you give the infighters easier fights to let them advance. I'm sure Dana White and the heads of similar organizations have looked into this, and either changed their rules or promoted people who fit the ideal in terms of retaining audience/ratings.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Whether they matter in terms of fighting ability are irrelevant. Obviously in an actual fight grappling ability is important. Just I saw this example seconds after me responding to your other post/me responding about people caring more about striking and viewing grappling as cuddling/humping.

Again, I think it’s obvious when you compare the popularity of the sports that the opinion of those who think ground fighting is “hugging” is a loud, ignorant minority. If they were a significant number of people, a kickboxing promotion would be more popular than UFC or One Championship. That isn’t the case.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Again, I think it’s obvious when you compare the popularity of the sports that the opinion of those who think ground fighting is “hugging” is a loud, ignorant minority. If they were a significant number of people, a kickboxing promotion would be more popular than UFC or One Championship. That isn’t the case.
Really? If I compare the popularity of boxing in the 80s (before UFC/MMA was a thing) with the UFC today...a lot more people were fans back then. If I asked someone who Jon Jones, Anderson Silva, or Georges St. Pierre was, or even Royce Gracie, I would be willing to place money that fewer people could answer that, then if I asked who Muhammad Ali or Mike Tyson (or even Floyd Mayweather). I would even be willing to bet, if you take into account people alive during the 90s, that more people know who Sugar Ray Leonard was then Fedor. So it's definitely worth, from a marketing standpoint, figuring out what sells best and changing your rules to fit that.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Really? If I compare the popularity of boxing in the 80s (before UFC/MMA was a thing) with the UFC today...a lot more people were fans back then. If I asked someone who Jon Jones, Anderson Silva, or Georges St. Pierre was, or even Royce Gracie, I would be willing to place money that fewer people could answer that, then if I asked who Muhammad Ali or Mike Tyson (or even Floyd Mayweather). I would even be willing to bet, if you take into account people alive during the 90s, that more people know who Sugar Ray Leonard was then Fedor. So it's definitely worth, from a marketing standpoint, figuring out what sells best and changing your rules to fit that.

Sorry, but I'm not seeing what your point is here. Here's my point (again); If people truly hated watching ground fighting as much as you claim they do, Kickboxing would be doing better than MMA because MMA without ground fighting is essentially kickboxing. Since that isn't the case, and actually the opposite is true, then more people enjoy ground fighting then your personal experience would suggest.

I don't really see how us doing marketing experiments in our spare time is relevant to that point.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yea... crazy how the Chinese don't even really like. I like it, and I like Japanese Shoot Fighting as well. I like some UFC MMA, but gets real boring when its just two guys on the ground cuddling.

I prefer watching the ladies cuddle personally;

Latest Discussions