Sanchin-Ryu

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sanchin Ryu is not a belt factory. It took me 13 years to gain my rank and I'm still there (mostly due to illness) seventeen years later.

So, 13 years to reach 4th dan?

Saying something like "selling" or "a belt factory" only shows ignorance and disrespect. I never disrespect any martial arts style.

Fortunately no one is this threat has accused any school of selling rank or being a belt factory. The only mention of those terms was another Sanchin Ryu practitioner making the same statement you did - that Sanchin ryu is not a belt factory.

He kind of walks like a faggot, but that is just because he is so loose and graceful.

Helpful hint - homophobic slurs are not welcome here and are in violation of the terms of service.

Darrencowan

Green Belt
Reaction score

Fortunately no one is this threat has accused any school of selling rank or being a belt factory. The only mention of those terms was another Sanchin Ryu practitioner making the same statement you did - that Sanchin ryu is not a belt factory.

Helpful hint - homophobic slurs are not welcome here and are in violation of the terms of service.

sorry, I will not be so insensitive in the future. I am not a homophobe. I have many gay and trans friends. I, myself, am bi.

Darrencowan

Green Belt
Reaction score

The Sanchin Ryu thread started with disrespectful remarks about my style, saying quote "selling in my town" and "belt factory." I wrote a thread addressing this and I also addressed it on the topic. I am not here to disrespect other artists and I expect the same amount of respect. Bows.

Darrencowan

Green Belt
Reaction score
And you would be incorrect. I know the ATA Songahm taekwondo forms are copyrighted as are the new ITA forms. The vast majority of karate or karate-derived arts are not copyrighted nor should they be given the longtime "open source" nature of their studies.

LOL. Trust me, there's no need to have any fear of that. More likely Mr. Dearborn needs to copyright "his" material because he is selling it commercially. He doesn't want someone else to copy his material and sell it themselves since he has put a lot of effort into packaging and marketing it as a slick product.

Someone is making some coin off this deal or at least has some hopes of doing so eventually. My guess is that it's Mr. Dearborn.

Look, I'm happy you enjoy sanchin-ryu. It's not my cup of tea, but vive le difference.

Hey bro, watch your tongue. You're being very disrespectful, especially towards the grand master.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Sanchin Ryu thread started with disrespectful remarks about my style, saying quote "selling in my town" and "belt factory." I wrote a thread addressing this and I also addressed it on the topic. I am not here to disrespect other artists and I expect the same amount of respect. Bows.

You might want to reread those posts. Those phrases were only in the comments made by oobergooberkc who is a Sanchin Ryu practitioner himself (or was - he hasn't been on this site for quite a while, so I don't know his current status). He mentioned "belt factory" only to deny that Sanchin Ryu was such a thing. He mentioned "selling" to acknowledge that Mr. Dearman was teaching commercially and making money from the art. Nothing derogatory there.

Hey bro, watch your tongue. You're being very disrespectful, especially towards the grand master.

FYI - the comment you are responding to is almost 9 years old. In addition, there's nothing tremendously disrespectful about noting that Mr. Dearman was making an effort to market his art commercially. No slurs were cast regarding Mr. Dearman's skill, knowledge, or character. The commenter did object to the idea of copyrighting an art, but that was based on what I think was a mistaken statement by the original poster. Oobergooberkc stated that the art was "copyrighted" when what he actually meant was that the name was trademarked. You can't copyright an art. You can copyright specific original choreography, but if the forms taught are traditional ones like sanchin, then they would not be eligible for copyright.

Darrencowan

Green Belt
Reaction score
I found this thread via google and I thought I would stop by and chat. I love martial arts and love talking to its practitioners. Thank you for being respectful.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ten years old. Wow, I missed that. Thanks for the insight.
FYI - if you click the "Active Topics" link at the top of the page, it will show you the threads which are have been updated recently. It's not against the rules to resurrect an old thread, but often the original participants won't be around any more and there may have been more recent discussions of the topic.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think we need to call a halt to this. This discussion / brag session belongs on Bullshido.

Latest Discussions